Grandma Help!

@poehere (17243)
French Polynesia
I miss your advice, the phone calls and our silly conversations. I especially miss you. I am sitting here today and wondering where is your famous recipe for Mexican Meatball Soup. You use to make this for me on cold, rainy days. When I would come in from school all wet and soggy, you were there to greet me with a hot towel you just took out of the dryer. Then I remembered after you died, I had to clean out your house. I found your recipes cards all stained and torn and I couldn’t bear to throw them away. I boxed them up and took them home with me to the islands. Today, I am digging through this box and hoping to find your famous Mexican Meatball Soup recipe. It is cold, rainy, and windy on the islands today and my mind is drifting back in time. I think of the rainy days and how you were always there for me. Now I am a grandma and I just hope that the two little ones will one day remember me like I remember you. I miss you grandma. I just found your recipe card, stained, torn, and written in your handwriting. Tonight I am going to make this to eat. The warmth of the soup will remind me of you and the days I spent with you when I was younger. Image: flickr free creative commons
@JustBhem (20465)
• Davao, Philippines
For sure your grandchildren will remember you. Everyone deserves to remember.
@poehere (17243)
• French Polynesia
Oh thank you so much that is so sweet of you to day.
@JustBhem (20465)
• Davao, Philippines
@poehere You are welcome. I feel you. I am sick that is why I also want to be remembered.
@poehere (17243)
• French Polynesia
@JustBhem I am sorry you are sick and I hope you will get better soon.
• Dallas, Texas
I like hamburger soup. Is it similar? My wife makes it with ground beef, potatoes, carrots and onions and well it does hit the spot. I intend to keep all the recipes she uses forever if I can.
@poehere (17243)
• French Polynesia
It is good and I hope you do save her recipes. I am so happy I saved my grandma's recipes.
• Dallas, Texas
@poehere , I treasure them as I treasure my wife. She has a talent for home cooking unlike most women I know of. Most of the women, with a few exceptions, today, tend to prefer going out to eat. I prefer staying in and having a good meal that is a family recipe from my wife's collection of her favorites she has developed over the years.
@poehere (17243)
• French Polynesia
@lookatdesktop I learned to cook when I was 8. I did most of the cooking at hmoe until I left to go to school in the US. I would rather cook at home than eat out. I normally don't use recipes I just cook. But I need one for this soup.
I hope the soup comes out as good as the soup that your Grand mom made.
@poehere (17243)
• French Polynesia
Thank you. i have made it here on the islands a long time ago and had forgotten what I did with her recipe. I found it back in her box and was so happy.
Sweet and sad memories, it's nice to have small little things to remember the people we loved. I know you will enjoy the soup.
@poehere (17243)
• French Polynesia
Yes, sad because she is no longer here and sweet because she was such a special person. She knew how I felt when my mom sent me to the US to live with her brother. She was always tehre for me and so special. BTW the soup was delicious. I made it last night because it was so cold here on the islands. It was also raining all day long. Today is another story. Just some nice wind and a lot of sun.
@poehere Yesterday was sunny and hot, this morning is raining, well my plants needed rain water.
@poehere (17243)
• French Polynesia
@LadyDuck Same here on the islands. Yesterday the sun was out, some wind. Then last night the rain started again and has been off and on all day long.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
I think we all remember times like that. I used to go visit my foster mother and she would always make me a fried egg sandwich. Every once in a while I'll make a fried egg sandwich and it reminds me of our visits. When I was living in the foster home my foster mother's mother did most of the cooking and fixing meals. She was all about not wasting anything. We had some sandwiches some people may have thought were crazy. Baked bean sandwiches. Cucumber sandwiches. One year we had an overabundance of plums and we had plum pie until we were sick of it. It was a bit funny because most pies we had we were limited to one piece whereas in this case we could eat all we wanted. She used to make home made bread up into her 80s.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
@poehere My foster mother's mother lived to be 104. She lived with my foster mother and pretty much took care of herself until she was well into her 90s. Then she put a pot of water on the stove to boil and forgot she did. Went my foster mother came home she told her mother she could no longer cook anything. My foster mother lived until she was 92. My bio mother will turn 93 this October. She is living in an assisted living home.
@poehere (17243)
• French Polynesia
@RichardMeister My grandma never needed one.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
@poehere That's good.
@silvermist (15685)
Those are wonderful heartwarming memories.Glad you could find your grand mother's recipe.Hope the Mexican Meatball soup turns our delicious.
@poehere (17243)
• French Polynesia
Thank you so much. Yes, the soup did turn out delicious. I made it last night.
@silvermist (15685)
@poehere You are welcome.Glad that the soup turned out to be good.
@poehere (17243)
• French Polynesia
@silvermist Thanks.
@JeeyanDee (2744)
You had a wonderful grandma and I hope someday when I become one, my grandkids will love me as much as you loved her
@poehere (17243)
• French Polynesia
Thank you so much. She was a wonderful person and everyone did love her. She was never grumpy or mean and she always spoke with a soft voice. I never saw her get angry at all.
@JeeyanDee (2744)
@poehere She is one of a kind then. Plus she looks so darn cute in this photo you posted.
@poehere (17243)
• French Polynesia
@JeeyanDee This is a free image off flickr. I couldn't find a photo of my grandma. All the ones I have of her were on film and not digital. I still need to scan them to my computer.
This post is heart-warming.
@poehere (17243)
• French Polynesia
Thank you so much. I was looking for another way to talk about food and the cold weather. Sort of tired of what's for dinner or how hot or cold it is today. Plus, all of this is so true. I still miss her a lot.
@poehere nothing better than putting our thoughts and emotions in writing!
@poehere (17243)
• French Polynesia
@allen0187 This one is so true.
@Freelanzer (6392)
Beautiful sentiment about your beloved grandma. Enjoy the meatball soup. Sounds yummy.
@poehere (17243)
• French Polynesia
It was good. I made it last night. It was cold and rainy here on the islands and it hit the spot. Thank you so much.
Such wonderful memories. I'm glad you found the recipe so you can make the soup.
@poehere (17243)
• French Polynesia
It was nice to find her old recipe. It reminded me of her.
• Sibiu, Romania
Your post is truly touching. Our grandparents are a vital part of our lives and especially of our evolution as children and I think it's important to enjoy their presence as much as possible, as long as they're around.
@poehere (17243)
• French Polynesia
You are so right. Both of mine are gone now. I lost my grandfather when I was only 22. So it is sad when they leave our lives but they do leave a giant impression on us.