Gathering Things for New Camping Trailer

@noni1959 (4004)
Now I just need the trailer. I sold my 34 ft Outback two years ago and now looking at a small trailer just for weekends or traveling to visit others. I'll be good with a 15 ft or maybe a 20. Even if it takes me a few months, I'm gathering plates, silverware, towels and more. I see used trailers for sale here but unless they are stored under cover and have all the maintenance paperwork, I'm better off buying new. In Oregon, we have a lot of moss and mold due to it being very wet here. I can find good used ones in the valley but the sales tax can be high. Here there is no sales tax. Do you have a trailer, camper or a tent? What are your basic musts to have? For me it's matches, flares, flat kit, dishes, silverware, tongs, camping coffee pot, big pan to heat water to wash up, foil, clothes line rope, tarp, broom, toilet paper, hatchet, sleeping bags, and of course fishing gear. Back when I grew up and beyond, we always had a bunch of camping gear and rarely used paper plates. We'd have a dish pan and soap to wash our dishes after meals. We used iron pans and pots over the fire and kept them in the basement stored. As time went on, I started using foil wrapped foods to cook and even using paper plates which we burned in the fire. Looking back, I remember dad telling us when we moaned about taking turns washing that it was good not to use so much paper and cheaper too. I'm going back to this. I'm sure I'll use napkins and maybe even paper cups at times.
We have a small trailer. It has the kitchen basics and I don't keep it too stuffed, try to keep it simple. It does have a bathroom including a hand held shower, very handy. Enjoy your next trailer.
@noni1959 (4004)
I've been looking at some. I like the Scampi but will see as time goes what I'll wind up with. I agree for the basics and not stuff it. I just like to have it ready with no packing other than clothing.
@noni1959 It is nice to have it ready. But, I have decided we don't use it enough to buy extras of everything we use. But, mostly it is ready, dishes, pots etc.
@noni1959 (4004)
@paigea I hope by the time I get one I will use it often enough. I live very close to lakes and I travel to CA every three months or so.
• Japan
I have none of the above, but it would sure be fun to have a small camper. We don't have so many SUVs in Japan, but recently the mini-camper has been making a comeback. I always think it would be good to have one in case of emergency, too. I see a few people driving them around town and I confess I am just a teeny bit jealous! (However, these are teeny tiny campers and I don't see how they could have even a toilet or kitchen area in them.)
@noni1959 (4004)
Years ago we had a 10 ft camper on a truck and it has a toilet that pull down from the wall and a hand held shower. It was a tiny space but it sure came in handy. I've had different sizes over the years and I actually lived in my 34ft one for a year after the divorce and it was really roomy and simple.
@sugartoes (43292)
• Greencastle, Indiana
good luck in finding what your looking for & I hope you find the right one
@velvet53 (17719)
• Palisade, Colorado
This reminds me so much of when we all went camping. Don't forget flashlights and paper in case you need it to help with a fire. Toilet paper, paper towels, trash bags. Don't make me get my list out that I always have ready for my son when they go camping. His other half forgets a lot of things like dish soap, hand soap,bug spray.
@DWDavis (15061)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
My wife and I are going in the opposite direction. We were tent campers for twenty plus years and then upgraded to a pop-up and now have a hybrid/expandable. Currently we are shopping for a fifth-wheel.
@reskyyandi (3689)
Good luck with it, hope you enjoy it
We're travelling in Ireland in a motor-home. Mostly we stay at camping sites but sometimes we free-camp somewhere. In Australia we have a four-wheel drive and caravan and a big bus which we converted to a motor-home. We are trying to sell the bus at the moment.
We have no trailer, camper or tent, a VERY small camper could be funny, but really small or we would be stuck on most roads here, this is a small country.