Taking advantage of an older person..

I am really disappointed in those who take advantage of older/elderly people... I gave my dad a coupon to use and I read the entire "fine print" clear and valid. My dad goes to the store and the manager "rejected" him to use the coupon. My dad gave me a call as he was walking out. I told him to go back in and hand his phone to the manager so I could speak to him! I told the manager to read the fine print himself. The coupon is coming from the store directly so if there is any problem - he (the manager) needs to call headquarters. And, it isn't nice to take advantage of my father. He immediately goes No, no - that is not the case. I am trying to help your father. Right.. how so? He honored the coupon and I hung up. Later, he told my dad to tell me to calm down. This has happened to my parents' a couple times actually at various stores. Especially at Target - I would give my parents' e-gift cards or find a $3 off coupon for their eye drops that cost $18 a bottle and cashiers give them a problem.
That's so bad. I don't understand why the will act differently to different people. Actually I think right now the elders will be their main customers as the new generation prefer to go shopping online. If the stores lose the elder customers, they will lose a big profit.
That is a great point. Perhaps he didn't think of that! Not to mention new generation is about spending smarter with the help of our smart phones. We can search prices compare , price match or even just shop online :)
@infatuatedbby You are right. In fact the stores shall give more coupons to the elders so that they will go there more often and buy extra unnecessary things
@youless haha yeah! My parents don't even price match they don't have the patience to type everything and then check so stores should be happy
This happens all the time, I have seen my mother yesterday and she received as a change some old coins that are no more in circulation, it's a shame.
Wow that's crazy! The old coins are not worth any money?
@infatuatedbby Not at all, they are not old enough, but they cannot be spent anymore.
@LadyDuck That is horrible to hear. Were you with your mom when this happened?
Your Dad is lucky to have you and, I don't like when people do this either very wrong.
It's happened a couple of times not just that store. It's so annoying. Anything with a coupon that is an essential in the household, I'll do it. :) It's so wrong to take advantage of people. I don't get it!
@infatuatedbby I know I have always believed in treating everyone with respect and, doing the right thing.
@TRBRocks420 You're a great person! Thank you!
@hereandthere (31008)
you're a good daughter to be on the lookout for these things, and yeah, sometimes older people would rather not make a fuss. stores should inform their branches of any promotions, discounts, tie-ups. these should be inputted in their system so employees could see them. the nerve of that manager to turn the tables on you. hmm, have you thought of writing about this incident to their higher ups?
I have file a complaint before with Target that happened to me and all they said was we apologize for the inconvenience and we'll look into it. I don't want to waste any further time. If it is something more, I will definitely do so.
@infatuatedbby it's frustrating when all you get are platitudes. i hope it doesn't happen again to you or your parents, but i agree, there's a limit to what you can take!
@hereandthere totally ! it is is frustrating + annoying. they shouldn't be treated like that.
@minx267 (14553)
• Hartford, Connecticut
that makes me so angry!
I was angry too! My fiancé said I was literally rapping to the manager without having any room for him to speak in between But that's just me when I'm heated in a situation. My dad said the manager apologized and told him to tell his daughter ahem me me to calm down it's okay. Lol no it's not! Because you wanted to take advantage of my dad!!
@kobesbuddy (46356)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@infatuatedbby My elderly parents were constantly getting cheated! They were so vulnerable, trusted everybody:(
That is horrible. I hate it when that happens to anyone not just elderly.
@kobesbuddy (46356)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@infatuatedbby The elderly and children too are vulnerable, to being manipulated by criminals.
@kobesbuddy Yeah its horrible. My fiancé and I were almost scammed by an employee. We went to go buy bikes and they didnt have his height. We asked if they made his height the man said no but the bike would be fine for him. We said we'd think about it. Drove a couple exists down to another location and behold they did have his height & made it but the guy at the previous store said they did not !! Lies
@alberello75 (17493)
• Genova, Italy
You are right! But my situation is different. Are my parents who have to "defend" me from the abuses. This is because I, being disabled, people unfortunately take advantage against me! They cheat and tease me every day! A shame!
That is very sweet your parents' are there for him. And yes you're right - some even take advantage of disabled people. Some take advantage of those whose native language wasn't English, some are racist, sexist, etc.
@alberello75 (17493)
• Genova, Italy
@infatuatedbby I believe that when someone like me is not in a position to know how to do his own reasons, someone else's intervention is needed for him / her
@alberello75 It is good someone can help you out.
@velvet53 (16522)
• Palisade, Colorado
It is sad that stores try to take advantage of people. If Target keeps giving them trouble then maybe you should make a call to the main office and put in a complaint. I heard of this happening to someone else, they called the main office and ended up getting a $50 gift certificate.
I have filed a complaint with Target before, all they said was we apologize for the inconvenience and will look into it.
@velvet53 (16522)
• Palisade, Colorado
@infatuatedbby That is sad. If they want peoples business then they need to treat them good. Complain every time it happens and maybe they will get wise and really do something about it.
@velvet53 Yeah it's unfortunate I don't want to waste any time but if it does happen again I'll make note of it and tell them they need to train their employees better and that's not right
Some people are ripe for the picking so to speak. Is there a language barrier?
His English isn't too bad but English is his second language! I also learned English as a second language as well even though I was born in the United States. But the coupon has small text and he wouldn't be able to read the fine print back at them so that's probably why. I did tell him if he has a problem to tell them to read the fine print. They didn't bother and said no.
@infatuatedbby He didn't seem too upset about it...you were.
@AbbyGreenhill In other situations like the grocery store overcharging him or something else or the auto shop he will stand up for himself. But since the fine print it's his words against them. He can't read it since it's super small, so he figured he'll give it to me to do. But he was already there so I mind as well speak to the manager on the phone.
@nomus24g (22907)
Senior citizens are vulnerable to these kind of exploitation...
It is so rude. They will once be older also.
@nomus24g (22907)
@infatuatedbby exactly...life is 360 degree
@nomus24g karma will be there
@Tracy04 (10813)
That's really annoying. Once in a hospital my mom admitted because of gastric and fever attacked at the same time, she cried. Who don't cry if too pain. But this doctor scold my mom for crying. I cannot stand but to yell the doctor back
Oh my gosh. I would yell back at the doctor too. Why is he scolding your mom as she is experiencing pain!
@Tracy04 (10813)
@infatuatedbby geez, doctors.... They thought they were strong and mighty and can treat everything, they forget humanity and morality
@Tracy04 They have no manners or customer service.
@responsiveme (16075)
Good for you...People do tend to take advantage if they think no one will protest But one needs to have a clear head to deal with the situation...Which I don't always have
I sometimes do not have a clear mind set when I am angry, but most times I do.
@infatuatedbby I feel that to keep a cool head in times of anger is a BIG asset...I am trying to get there
@responsiveme Yeah, it is best to be calm and get our words out there.
@mandala100 (43314)
@infatuatedbby There are some business people who are very insensitive or very unreasonable.
Yes and in this case the manager working was not even an owner..
@mandala100 (43314)
@infatuatedbby That's really shocking my friend.
@mandala100 Yeah some people act as if they own the store.
Telling your dad to tell you to calm down is kind of unprofessional.
He couldn't tell me that on the phone when he was talking to me!
@infatuatedbby - I know. Poor customer service skills.
@teamfreak16 I agree. Wish I was there when the incident happen because I sure would have zipped him up!
@ilocosboy (34311)
Its really disappointing when some people do that, In here, there is a modus operandi called as "budol-budol gang" and they victimized older people.
That's so horrible! Older people are also easily scammed too.
@ilocosboy (34311)
@infatuatedbby yeah they are scammed because these people, bad people are taking advantage on them.
@ilocosboy Yeah it sucks! :(
It happens all the time with coupons, stores simply do not want to take them.
I hardly have any problems and if I do, I will speak up right then and there or escalate it to upper management. My dad just said oh, okay and walked out. It was their store coupon physically so they should read the fine print!
@infatuatedbby as would my parents, I have the most trouble with Target accepting them and Walmart.
@CookieMonster46 Totally wrong for people to pick on older people like our parents! It's very disappointing. I usually never let my parents buy things when there are coupons because they've had problems in the past literally 1 of 3 times! But since he insisted, I said sure! But I'm not letting the manager go with saying that either. Can't use it and that's it, like did you even try reading the coupon. I have more trouble at Target than Walmart. Target employees I've dealt with think they own the store or something.
@wongchoiyee (7351)
Ooh, its very annoying, it happens in my country too, people are mean nowadays.
Yes, we have to be careful & smart.
Such people should realise that one day they will get old too.
Exactly, or do they not think of their parents, relatives, or anyone older. Very inconsiderate people!
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
Sounds like he is very uneducated about his job. Good thing your dad has you to watch out for him!
I was not going to let him walk out of there. Glad he called me.
@thelme55 (14571)
I am glad you were able to solve the problem. I don´t like those people who take advantage of the elderly. So rude.
Yes they are very inconsiderate if they try to take advantage of older people!