My Parents

@UncleJoe (9331)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Some of my recent post may give the impression that my parents were mean people. That is far from the truth. While it’s true that they often made disparaging comments, they were usually applied with practical country humor. That was their way of coping with all the stressful situations they faced. When I was six, our house burned completely to the ground. We lost everything. Seven years later, the same occurred with my father’s neon sign shop. It took years to recover from both losses. In the mean time they struggled daily to provide for their 5 children. There was so much I didn’t understand then but having my own family educated me on that kind of stress. My mother’s sense of humor was her greatest asset. It got all of us through those really tough times. Although some of her remarks appear to look mean in print, they were always spoken in her joking manner. When the door opened for me to go to college at age 39, Mama was pleased and proud. I was the only one of her children who earned a degree. Nevertheless, when her hair-dresser, who was also our church choir director, asked her, “What is Joe going to be when he graduates?”, her quick response was, “Prob’ly bout 70!”
What I have noticed is that you inherited your mother's great sense of humor.
@UncleJoe (9331)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Everybody says that and it makes me proud of her.
@Platespinner (16588)
A sense of humour goes a long way toward making difficult circumstances a little more bearable!
@UncleJoe (9331)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Mine has helped me cope all my life but recently the challenge became almost unbearable. I hope I have beaten that. LOL @Platespinner
@UncleJoe sorry that things have been rough recently
@UncleJoe (9331)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@Platespinner Don't be. I'm not @Platespinner. It's really not as frightening as it first seemed.
Your dear mother's sense of humor saw her through a lot of hard times. I am sure everyone delighted in her very own brand of humor.
@UncleJoe (9331)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Her humor was legend in our neighborhood when I was growing up @Corbin5
@Srbageldog (7716)
Humor makes life worthwhile...or at least bearable!