Don't be scared, be prepared!

Japan
Prepared for what, you may ask? Well, for whatever may come your way. In the case of living in Japan or anywhere on the Ring of Fire (New Zealand, Indonesia, Philippines, Japan, Alaska, West Coast of North, Central and South America) that means being prepared for earthquakes, among other things. Today there was a big (magnitude 6.4) and deep (539 km deep) earthquake in Fiji. Of course if it is that deep nobody feels it, but it can cause larger quakes nearer the surface where they can be pretty scary! So, I am prepared as always. I know where to go (under a sturdy desk, or in my doorway); I have bottled water for at least three days (probably more if it is just me; if family is here I have enough for them too) and food in the pantry. Emergency food is just food that I would eat anyway but is ok to eat without heating and cooking. I use my emergency food for "emergency" times when I don't want to run to the store, too! How are you prepared for whatever in your area? Anyway, if you live in the Ring of Fire, you might want to take a look at this video from earthquake expert M. Janitch (Dutchsinse). He's fun to listen to, as well. Enjoy and don't be scared, be prepared!
If you like what I do, here is my patreon link for sending support: https://www.patreon.com/dutchsinseofficial ______ Dutchsinse FAQ: https://dutchsinse.com/...
I am going to have a look at this video, even if I live in a safe area for what concerns earthquake. Anyway I always have emergency supplies inside the house, because you never know what could happen.
• Japan
He actually has a number of viewers in Europe, especially in Italy. And if you watch him apply his theory, you can see how he forecasts quakes. It's a simple theory that you can apply if you learn it.
@petatonicsca There are two regions in the center of Italy that experience power earthquakes almost every year. I am watching the video and it is very interesting.
• Japan
@LadyDuck Yes, he forecast those last year. One of his viewers was on BBC after the October quake in Italy and said they had warned their mayor and the whole town. People slept in their cars or near a door and there were no injuries because someone took his forecast seriously.
@Platespinner (16782)
Having emergency supplies of fresh water and food, as well as a good first aid kit are important no matter WHERE you live. Earthquakes can wreak havoc but so can severe weather.
• Japan
Absolutely. Also helpful in minor emergencies like being too tired to go to the store!
• Japan
Oh, and of course a light source, battery operated, and/or candles. (Candles are not a good idea in an earthquake zone but I sure remember using them in my childhood during ice storms.)
I have some bottled water always. And other things to eat. And one thing I learned in the last big earthquake we had (3 days with no electricity here) isthat if you donĀ“t open much the refrigerator but THINK before you open it, things can stay frozen for at least those 3 days.
• Japan
I have heard that, but fortunately we were not out of electricity even in the "big one". I will remember that information if anything cuts our electricity, though! Be safe over there on the opposite side of the Ring of Fire from me.
@petatonicsca The earthquake I was refering to was 8.8 Richter, but not where I lived. Here it was not as strong.
We rarely have quakes but we have tornado`s and something things are don for days and we are at home without power for up to a week, I have food for emergencies too.
• Japan
I grew up in tornado country and all those emergency supplies were in the basement, of course! We don't have basements in Japan, which I found very odd when I first came here. The groundwater is just too close to the surface for us to have basements (except huge concrete buildings and subways). Even in my school's basement, we had water coming up through the concrete.
After living in florida for 8 years. I know I would not ever move to any of those locations. prepared is right and that is for the snow storm that i would prefer over rock falling any day.
• Japan
Don't you have big old thunderstorms and flooding in Florida? But several of my friends live in Florida and they like it over all the snow up north in the States where I came from.