My horror of needles is so illogical, yet impossible to ignore

@Asylum (47226)
Manchester, England
For some inexplicable reason I have a real dread of needles or injections. It does not seem to make any difference how many times I experience injections, or even how minor or insignificant they may be. Like most people I have had a fair number of injections over the years, although that has not eased the terror of injections in any way whatsoever. In fact, when I was younger I was a blood donor for many years and despite being very familiar with the system I still had this terrible dread of that needle going into my body. Once the needle is in I am fine, but the anticipation is never good. This has proven to be a real problem recently due to the treatment that I have been undergoing for cancer. Naturally this has involved numerous blood samples and a few injections. Also, every time that I attend for chemotherapy I have a cannula fitted into the rear of my hand, which I find very unpleasant. Right now I am in the middle of a 5 day course of injections into my stomach. To be fair the actual injections are not bad, but I still find it preying on my mind for a couple of hours prior to the injection itself. The whole concept of this makes no sense whatsoever, yet I appear to have no control over this emotion.
This is something I have never understood...how can a junkie enjoy sticking needles into themselves? I know most of the time it isn't going to really hurt...but I seem to find someone at least once a year that must have missed classes on how to draw blood or give injections.
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
I have also encountered nurses who seem to miss the vein and pierce the flesh instead, which is not exactly fun.
Barry, I now feel sick, my legs shake in terror. I have this illogical fear too, I know it's nothing but I cannot think at a needle entering my body and I cannot even look at someone picking a living creature. I will never be able to control this emotion.
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
I will never be able to understand why I cannot exert any control over this fear.
@Asylum I do not know, there are things we cannot control. I always say the same for my fear of closed spaces. I try to be logic and I say to myself, the next time I try to enter the cave (or the elevator), there is nothing to fear. When it's the moment I cannot.
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck Fortunately closed spaces do not bother me. One phobia is more than enough for me. When the nurse mentioned 5 consecutive days of injections into the stomach I was horrified.
@garymarsh6 (12097)
You are not alone. More men than women are squeamish when it comes to needles and faint more than women do! My sister is incredibly fearful of them. I usually tell people that it won't hurt.............me!
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
I am told that it will not hurt every time, not that it helps much.
@garymarsh6 (12097)
@Asylum The anti coagulant clinic is the worse place to be taking blood. 90 patients in an hour and a half! Just enough time to say hello and goodbye! They are usually very good their sleeves already rolled up you don't really have time to look at people faces you just see the arm!
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
@garymarsh6 All that I would see would be the needle.
@vandana7 (57493)
I identify with you..Two things i dread, needles and that dentist's equipment in my mouth..I feel the dentist will have a paralytic stroke and the drill straight through my medula oblongata..I hate those things..
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
Dentists are quite high on the list of unpleasant experiences.
@vandana7 (57493)
@Asylum ..Yes...why can't they find something that solves dental problems easily...smh
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
@vandana7 The only guaranteed way to eradicate dental issues would seem to be having false teeth.
@pgntwo (21717)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Truly an irrational, needless fear... not that knowing that makes one iota of difference.
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
It certainly does not help me by knowing.
@pgntwo (21717)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@Asylum I have to close my eyes... except I could not when I had my operations on my eye a couple of years ago, although being told I needed another bubble of gas put into my eye gave me a bit of a panic attack in the consultant's examination room...
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
@pgntwo We are all overly squeamish where our eyes are concerned.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Happy weekend @Asylum. Hope you are fine.
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
I am feeling quite good today thank you.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Asylum This is wonderful news..always love to know you are doing okay my friend, thanks for always replying here. Welcome too.
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
@TiarasOceanView It was very thoughtful for you to ask.
Hopefully the number of injections happening will dull the dread of them.
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
I cannot imagine that ever happening, but at least I have had the last one for a while.
@Asylum The only worse thing is having to give someone else a shot. I was supposed to when my husband was so ill at the last but the only thing I could manage was loading up the syringe for him. I do feel bad I could not conquer my fear. I don't mind them too much, but giving a shot to someone else fills me with horror.
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
@Jeanniemaries This is something that I have not had reason to do, although I suspect that it would not be easy.
@Inlemay (17341)
• South Africa
Oh goodness me. Its sounds frightening. I always wondered how people cope with diabetes - needles every day. I dont like injections at all either and I totally sympathise with you. I hope you are doing well - you dont tell us how you are feeling?
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
I am seriously weary all the time, which I believe is a symptom of the chemotherapy.
@Inlemay (17341)
• South Africa
@Asylum is it a rest like weary or a burden weary? I am sorry to hear. Has John gotten in contact with you at all?
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
@Inlemay Just generally run down and no energy.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm OK with "shots," but having my blood drawn petrifies me.
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
They both have the same effect on me. The worst is having a cannula fitted in order to insert a drip.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Asylum I would probably ask for about three Valiums before something like that.
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
@TheHorse It is horrendous when it does not go in properly and has to be redone.
• South Africa
Many years back I was a nurse inflicting this terror on others but I learnt the trick of distracting my patients. I would tell them I would teach them the art of deep breathing BEFORE I gave them the injection but in reality I would give them the injections while they were 'practicing' or I would ask another nurse to inspect the patients toe before I gave the injection and then give the injection while they were distracted by this 'inspection'. The injection itself is mostly not painful, just the anticipation of the needle penetrating the skin.
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
I can just imagine you giggling to yourself while doing this.
• South Africa
@Asylum Not really - pain is very real in the medical world and my mission was to traumatise the patient as little as possible. For children, I had a 'magic potion' I would rub on the injection site - it was just a little numbing agent - but it often worked. In your case, (if I was still 20!) I would just 'charm' you and while you were thinking of other things - inject you! Thee is a problem with some patients however - they seem to need to feel the fear and the pain in order for the medication to work - this is the case in South Africa with a number of black patients - or they seem to feel cheated if they haven't felt the injection. Good luck with your treatment - try to replace the fear of the needle with some hilarious joke or incident.
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
@QuantumJoy The last thing that I would miss would be feeling the injection. I would certainly not feel cheated in any way and simply be thankful for it.
Just the thought of needle being injected makes me cringe. Last Monday, I got my injectable vitamin supplement and I told my friend who administered it to tell me when she's about to insert the needle. I couldn't look. Like you I'm ok once the needle is in, but the anticipation...makes me sweat a lot!
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
Strange how seriously this can affect us.
@Asylum Yeah. My employee even asked me if I had never had an injection before. I told her, of course I did but I still can't get over the fear.
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
@toniganzon It must appear rather juvenile to anyone who does not experience this fear, but whatever we try there seems to be no way of controlling it.
@jobelbojel (5052)
I cringe whenever I go to the medical exam. Though I experienced injections many times before for my surgery, I still feel that I can't bear the injections. Especially when I see the huge needles.
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
The large needle's are particularly horrifying.
@Asylum Yes they are horrifying.
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
@jobelbojel The worst was the biopsy needle, which was much larger than average.
I'm sorry to hear that you have to go through all this, and with the fear of needles on top of it. I also have no control over my fears either and it doesn't make any sense. But my fears lie elsewhere. I'm not afraid of the needle at all, I even laugh at the nurses who can't get it right the first time (are you gonna get me all purple again?). My main fear is what will those injections do to my body and mind, and whether the doctor knows what the hell he's doing? I also have fear of socializing, large crowded places, heights, flying, driving etc. So I can understand and sympathize of how you must be feeling right now.
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
Strange how we all have different fears. I actually enjoy flying, although I am unable to do so at the moment.
• South Africa
So sad you live with so many fears! I have two main fears - the irrational one is of my roof blowing off and the other is men with knives. I have encountered men with knives so this one is not irrational. I tell my fearful self "Yes this could happen but probably not today and definitely not right now!' - Seems to work.
@QuantumJoy it is hard to face the world sometimes, but I try to fight them as much as I can.
@PatZAnthony (11801)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Your horror of needles is not illogical @Asylum Most are not into pain and would assume this would at least be uncomfortable.
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
Even injections that I have experienced before and know will not bee too painful still horrify me.
You are not alone .I have the same feeling.What we are dreading is not so much the injection itself as the prospect of being injected .Hope you will take a turn for the better!
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
Hopefully the injections will not last much longer.
@JeeyanDee (2742)
I definitely know how you feel. I don't fear needles though, but I have extreme fear of heights. I tried many times to remove it by riding roller coasters and others that would make me force down my fear but it went nowhere. I actually feel like it only got worse. There was a time I can't handle going up alone in the third floor of a building using the escalator after those flodding sessions I did to myself.
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
It seems rather strange there all appear to have our own pet fears, often for no particular reason.
@kepweng (6354)
before im afraid of needles but when i got a new tatoos im not afraid anymore
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
I have no idea how having a tattoo would affect me, but fortunately tattoos have never appealed to me.
• Eugene, Oregon
It is strange how phobias affect us that way. While in the army, I saw big strapping young men faint and fall on the floor while in line for the many injections and inoculations they gave us.
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
I have never reached the extreme of fainting, but certainly experience horror.
I am sure what you are experiencing is similar to the dread many feel, not always regarding injections but in other areas as well. Fear of elevators, clowns, feathers, spiders - many are illogical in a way but very real to those affected.
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
Very true, I am aware of how many people fear spiders, which seems odd to me because I find them fascinating creatures.
@tzwrites (3809)
Even if it seems illogical, many people fear needles. I am terrified even though I haven't had any "traumatic" needle experiences.
@Asylum (47226)
• Manchester, England
It is simply the thought of a needle.