I Gave Ang Pao To Her Daughters

ang pao red envelopes hereandthere 2017
Ang pao are small red envelopes you can buy even from sidewalk vendors. You put money in it to give as gifts. I've been adopting this Chinese practice when I'm not sure what to give to my nieces, nephews, and godchildren (inaanak) for Christmas and their birthdays. Per Wikipedia there are similar traditions in other Asian countries like Thailand, Myanmar (Burma) and Cambodia, brought by the Chinese diaspora and immigrants: Red envelopes in Cambodia, Vietnam, South Korea and Japan; Green envelopes in Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia and Singapore for the Malay Muslims; and Purple envelopes for the Hindu in Singapore and Malaysia. I just gave two ang pao or red envelopes when I met my college classmate because two of her children had their birthdays last month and early this month. One of them is my godchild (inaanak). Are you familiar with ang pao or red envelopes? Do you give cash gifts, too?
@ilocosboy (34344)
I don't know if this is also ang pao, I mean the money is placed in white envelop and given to godchild and/ nieces and nephews.
yes most people use the white envelopes. i just wanted to use the ang pao because they're colorful/festive.
@ilocosboy (34344)
@hereandthere I think I have adopt the ang pao method, maybe it will more lucky.
@ilocosboy of course i won't use it for abuloy. i will use the white envelop. hehe.
@ridingbet (47332)
i had one when i was still single. now, the red envelop for me is always connected with the red tag, courtesy of meteor Garden. hahaha!
i remember meteor garden
@ridingbet (47332)
@hereandthere and the F$ boys and MG are now often presented on FB. maybe the kapamilya network will make a Pinoy version of this show?
I knew about the red Chinese envelopes. We do not use them, but it is very common to give money instead of a gift to teenagers.
yeah, they're much harder to buy gifts for. babies, toddlers and grade school ages are much easier!
@Lucky15 (33427)
I buy those red envelopes for Christmas, Godchildren might come, haha
i always buy 2 packs and use them throughout the year.
@deazil (4556)
When there were younger kids in my family I made Origami envelopes to put money in. And I folded the money into Origami pieces - a shirt or pants, a heart - before I put it in the envelopes. I like the Ang Pao. I've never seen that before. It's quite interesting.
they come in bigger sizes, too. for this small one, i had to fold the money twice. i've seen people fold paper, even money, into a small shirt, or make paper bags. the only thing i can do was paper planes and boats, but that was eons ago when i was a child!
@deazil (4556)
@hereandthere I did the boats and planes too. hahaha I love working with paper. It's much more resilient than you would think. I like doing money Origami. I leave it for tips in restaurants. I also leave a few unfolded bills, that way the waiters have something to spend. I know they like to collect the Origami tips I leave. I like the Ang Pao envelopes. Where did you get them? They're really pretty.
@deazil it's nice that the waiters collect the money origami you make. it's a way to make them smile and feel special, too, because it's like leaving them a gift. hopefully, staff who are in a hurry or unfamiliar with it don't mistake it for crumpled trash and toss it. oops! maybe you can ask at asian stores if they have the red envelopes? i mean they might call it a different name.
@m_audrey6788 (13818)
I am familiar with ang pao but I am the type of person who gives some little things than giving cash..hehehe..because I can feel the spirit of Christmas when you open a gift not thinking how much the cost of the gift
some people i give gifts too, some i give cash.
@hereandthere ..That is still good
@m_audrey6788 what pasalubong do you bring that's always a hit from here to there or from there to here?
Yes I'm familiar with the red envelopes. My son goes to a Chinese school but they never asked money from us unlike other Chinese schools on New Year's day. The lunar new year of course. I don't usually give cash gifts as I take effort in finding the right gift for the people I care about. I find giving cash gifts a thoughtless act. But it's only me who thinks that way I guess.
really? why would chinese schools ask money from parents for the lunar new year?
@hereandthere They give empty ang pao to the students for the parents to put money in it. It's a donation of some sort. It's their tradition.
@toniganzon i see. voluntary then.
@Neiltarquin (1094)
• Rass, Saudi Arabia
Before, I do this all the time especially during Christmas. But my wife loves to buy stuff especually for kids so now it's always something that the kids could use or play. Ang pao with money is our back up plan.
kids are easier to buy for, but all of my nieces, nephews and inaanak are teens and 20s now. do they sell ang pao there in saudi?
• Rass, Saudi Arabia
@hereandthere Yes actually they do but it looks more of an arabian that chinese. During Ramadan, which they consider their most sacred holiday, is the time they would give gifts in cash or in kind. I haven't an actual ang pao "arabian style", and I forgot what it's called, butthey do sell them here.
@Neiltarquin have you received one from your boss or coworkers or friends there since you started working there?
@renicemae (2989)
Yes I am. Haven't given any monetary gifts to anyone yet.
i still buy gifts, but for some, i'd rather give money so they can buy what they like.
@renicemae (2989)
@hereandthere Oh. Now I remembered. I already gave monetary gifts to someone I know But I didn't put it in envelopes. I just gave it to them directly
@renicemae oh, i don't think i can do that! hahaha! i will try to find or buy even a short white letter envelope.
@ARIES1973 (9534)
• Legaspi, Philippines
I prefer giving gifts during the holiday season. But I still have ang pao just in case there will some unexpected visitors.
it's a useful back-up
@Edsamacos (131)
I use ang pao during Christmas. I give Ang Paos to my nieces and nephews if I can't buy any gift for them.
i'm ashamed to admit i use them all year now because it's easier/convenient.
@YrNemo (11213)
and here I thought all the colors of these interesting envelopes are new inventions, to make things more interesting.
there have several designs and it takes me a while to find one that i think looks generic/all occasion. maybe you'll see them in asian stores or if there's a chinese event/gathering.
I am not familiar with those particular envelopes, but I have gotten special envelopes made for putting money in. They are welcome gifts.
yes, i used to buy them in the book store. they're like birthday cards with drawings and greetings on them but shaped like envelopes.
• Pamplona, Spain
No as they are much too young yet. I have heard of those envelopes with money before though.
@annierose (17690)
I have a colleague who also used that as a gift to the kids of our fellow colleagues. He gives cash gifts a lot during the Christmas season. I also do it but just very rarely. I prefer to buy gifts for kids because at their very young age, I am uncertain if they know already how to spend properly their money.
i still buy gifts for people i'm sure of. but some are harder to buy gifts for, so i'd rather give money than none at all.
@annierose (17690)
@hereandthere I remember I did that too during our Christmas party. I couldn't find the gift that my monita was asking that time. It was too difficult and I was too busy to search for it in Divisoria.
@HazySue (20204)
I wasn't familiar with the red envelopes but I do give money as a gift to my grandchildren. That way they can get what they want.
I was planning to gave them last year. But then, there' no longer young and might demand something more expensive
In my family, the parents give us/grandkids cash gifts, but not in any fancy red envelopes - just regular white office security envelopes . With friends, we often exchange gifts, but never cash for some reason . . . it's either "things" or gift cards. And many of my good friends do not have kids - and neither does my sister - I wish I had children besides my own to spoil !
gift cards i guess are gift certificates here so it's cash too right? do your kids have cousins on their dad's side?
@hereandthere I guess so. Some here would say cash is more personal than a gift card. The kids do have cousins on dad's side, but they are all "grown" (all between age 20/30). Long story, but we don't really give gifts to them.
@much2say oh, i wasn't thinking about gifts. i was just curious if they had cousins and if grew up with them. but then, with that age gap...
@mandala100 (36185)
@athereandthere Yes my friend I usually do that during special occasion like birthday or New Year my friend.
birthday and christmas for me but usually given on new years day.
@mandala100 (36185)
@hereandthere Yes my friend that's right.
@sishy7 (27666)
I've seen them sold in Asian stores around Chinese New Year or Hari Raya (Muslims Holiday at the end of Ramadan or fasting month).
cool. how would compare them color-wise, design, size?
@sishy7 (27666)
@hereandthere Red dominates Chinese New Year and mostly green for the Muslims Holidays. The designs are pretty much related to the occasion and the size is usually uniformly the smallest envelope size where I have to fold the bills to fit in it. One year though I got this bigger size ang-pao (the gold one in the middle of my collage with monkey design). Yeah, it was around Chinese New Year when it was the Year of the Monkey a few years ago. This ang-pao fits the entire bills without folding them.