Funny looking duck!

Duck?
Thailand
This duck (I classify it because of the feet) landed in the courtyard a couple years ago. It didn't stay long, but I have never seen another one. Anybody know what it is?
@owlwings (39406)
• Cambridge, England
It's a Muscovy duck. They are often kept as ornamental birds but there are some wild populations in parts of the US. They are quite distinctive with their red faces and black and white feathers. I don't know why they are called 'Muscovy'. They have nothing to do with Moscow, as far as I know! They are native to Mexico and parts of South America.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search Muscovy duck A Piebald Muscovy drake Conservation status Least Concern (IUCN 3.1)[1] Scientific classification Kingdom: Animalia Phylum: Chordata Class: Aves Order: Anseriformes Family: Anat
• Thailand
Thank you! I wonder how he got all the way over here!
@owlwings I did not notice that you already replied. I confirm it's a female of a Muscovy duck species. The females are about the half size of the males. I have seen many near the golf courses in the south of Florida.
@louievill (18963)
Could be migratory but from the looks of it it can't fly very far lol, so most probably somebody brought it there or brought an egg in and incubated it.
• Thailand
Probably how it got here.
@louievill NO, this is a non-migratory species, they are wild ducks.
@sishy7 (27631)
I have no idea, but looks like it's eating something red or is it part of his mouth?
• Thailand
Part of his mouth!
@sishy7 (27631)
@jaideemai Strange looking duck indeed...
They have red spots on their face, the male even more. It's part of their normal color.
Yes I know those ducks, their name is Muscovy ducks, this is a female, the male are a lot larger. It is a non-migratory species, they are usually wild ducks that live near swamps, lakes, streams and farm crops.
@owlwings (39406)
• Cambridge, England
They are kept as pets (or for their meat and eggs) all over the world now. There are many theories about how it came to be called 'Muscovy'. One of the most likely is that the flesh is said to have a 'gamey' or 'musky' flavour and that confusion with the old name for the area round Moscow gave rise to the name.
@owlwings They are very friendly, I remember that we had a garden level room in a Motel, I left the door opened and a young Muscovy came inside in search of food.
@sol_cee (15918)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
It's a normal-looking duck to me. At least from my country,
• Thailand
Thanks! It must have been a long flight!
@Ithink (10607)
I read that you already got your answer, I just wanted to say love the black and white on it!