Death by Kindness? (the horse killed in tragic cycling accident)

Pleasant Hill, California
I don't know if you've heard the joke that ends: "Ah, death, a noble choice. Death by chee chee!" Or is it, "Ah, death, a noble choice. But first, chee chee!" There's some controversy about which punch line is funnier. But this post isn't about that joke. It's just how the title of this post popped into my mind. Have you ever been involved in an incident where someone's kindness almost cost someone else their life? Or, of not their life, maybe a few broken bones, or something else that's usually considered important? It's happened to me many times when I'm driving, and it could have happened with me as the deceased/broken today. Here's the scenario: I'm driving to work. I see a pedestrian who wants to cross the street. Being a devoted member of the "Don't be an A**hole" Church of God, I stop for the pedestrian. They start to cross in front of me. But the person 50 yards behind me is utterly clueless about what's happening, and doesn't bother to consider why I might be stopped at a crosswalk. Said driver continues exceeding the speed limit by 10 mph in the other lane while looking at their cell phone. I see the other driver in my rear view mirror and either inch toward their lane, to wake them up, start gesticulating madly at the pedestrian, to let them know that someone from a rival church is about to disembowel them, or both. So far, I haven't killed anybody. But today, as I was cycling home from work, a friendly driver to my right waved me across, where the bike path meets a residential street. I waved thanks as I started into the intersection, and almost failed to notice the rival church member approaching at 60 mph (I think the speed limit there is 35 mph) from my left. Had I not looked left, the friendly driver would not only have been saddled with the inconvenience of washing my brains and other internal organs off of the left side of their car, but also with the knowledge that their kindness had indirectly caused my untimely death. After the other car, which never slowed down, cleared the intersection, I waved thanks again to the kind driver and proceeded home, where I drank some cranberry juice, as I'm out of Gatorade.
So THAT is where the phrase 'Kill 'em with kindness' comes from
• Pleasant Hill, California
Must be. I thought it was a "nice" thing. Call me Pollyanna.
@TheHorse Hey Pollyanna, wassup?
• Pleasant Hill, California
@JolietJake Nuthin' to it, Holmes. Finna go be really nice to a bunch of random people.
I think that he means Killing Me Softly.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Hmm. This would not have been soft.
At least you didn't literally die in this situation.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I have this tendency to look left when I shouldn't need to. It's kept me alive at least three times.
• San Jose, California
@TheHorse Keep that habit.
@FourWalls (13696)
"You're going to kill me with kindness?" "That's a method I haven't tried yet." (From one of my countless TV shows that I watched too much....I think it was Department S.) I'm afraid of those people who go to St. Blessed Accelerations church.....
• Pleasant Hill, California
I think they're affiliated of the Church of the Sacred Cell Phone.
How about the song Kill them with kindness. It fits your experience.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I don't think I've heard it. Who does it?
@nanette64 (17610)
• Fairfield, Texas
Most drivers have their heads up their A** anymore @TheHorse . You were very lucky.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I think there's a lot of anger and frustration out there. People drive like they feel.
@nanette64 (17610)
• Fairfield, Texas
@TheHorse Most people should have their drivers' licenses taken away; not that it would matter.
Sounds like you dodged a bullet today. I have never been in that type of situation, however I have avoided accidents by seeing one in the making and staying clear.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I do that too. I know that half of the people on the road are below average drivers, and try to stay clear of "road drama" at all times.
@TheHorse It takes a special talent to spot those accidents waiting to happen. be thankful you have this talent.
I'm sorry you were out of Gatorade and hope the cranberry juice settled your nerves!
• Pleasant Hill, California
Thank you! It did. And I finally have my Xterra back and stopped and got some Gatorade too. Back to my usual life of white male privilege.
I almost got wiped out in a crosswalk just the other day.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Were the circumstances similar to the ones I described?
@TheHorse - No, just some idiot that couldn't wait two or three seconds. If I hadn't seen him coming and stopped walking, he would have hit me.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@teamfreak16 Could you tell if he was texting?
Kill them with kindness and then bury them with a smile!
• Pleasant Hill, California
Heh. There are some I'd be delighted to bury.
@TheHorse me too. Bury them while they are still alive and breathing!
• Pleasant Hill, California
@allen0187 I am taking deep breaths and thinking Christian thoughts. How can we help the angry, selfish and stupid to change their ways? Without burying with their heads exposed and covered in honey next to a red ant hill? Breathe, Horse, breathe!
I had stopped at a crosswalk to let a group of pedestrians cross the road. This is a busy road in the spring and summer. The crosswalk goes between a public park and an ice cream stand. When I stopped to let them cross, the moron behind me tries to go around me. I moved my car the the left. Then the driver tried to go to the right of me. I moved my car to the right and stuck my arm out the window and gave them the finger. Yes, even butterflies can flip someone the bird.
@TheHorse it was crazy. I kept envisioning him running these poor people down. Thankfully I was the only one in my car that day. Wouldn't have taken a chance with my kids in tow.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@ElusiveButterfly Did you get a look at him? Did he look "strung out"?
@TheHorse I wanted to get out of my car and throttle the moron. Didn't get a good look at him.
@kobesbuddy (46254)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@TheHorse Good grief, people can be such idiots behind the wheel, driving as if they have a license to kill!:(
• Pleasant Hill, California
If half of all people have below average IQs, and half of all people are below average drivers, then approximately one in every four cars is being driven by someone that is both (relatively) stupid and incompetent. The humanity.
@kobesbuddy (46254)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@TheHorse Driving with a cell-phone on their ear? How could that person have their mind on the road?
• Pleasant Hill, California
@kobesbuddy Fortunately, most of the accidents they cause are just low-speed fender benders. But mightn't the practice (of using hand-held cell phones while driving) change if they actually enforced the law? I admit to being confused about it all.
Oh yes! I have been waved to cross the street to go into a business and a car almost T bones me, I was in luck I hve a lead foot and got out of the way fast.
• Pleasant Hill, California
If I'm on my bke (or on foot) I tend to peer beyond the "car of kindness" to make sure someone from the "Church of Idiots" is not going to run me over at 50 mph. As you can see, I'm still here. Glad you are too.
A car that has stopped to let one of my aunt cross on the zebra was hit by another car that followed. My aunt had a shoulder and a wrist broken in the accident.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I hope she made a full recovery. A friend/hiking partner was hit in a crosswalk and still can't hike with me after two years!
@TheHorse She fully recovered thank you, but she never dared to cross again on a zebra. I am sorry for your friend, I hope he can fully recover too.
@TheSojourner (17454)
I have wanted to get a bike, but fear riding anymore now that there as so many crazies.
@DaddyEvil (24758)
• Aurora, Missouri
I'm thinking something like that would make me consider drinking some of your good hooch, pony! (Yeah, you can't have any... you're trying to lose your baby bump without having a baby, first!) Thank goodness, I've never been in that kind of situation... from either side!)