Tidiness overruled - but so what.

@xFiacre (10506)
Ireland
On Saturday I'll lay down the law that everything we are taking on holiday with us will be packed in suitcases in a civilised fashion, and the suitcases will be placed neatly in the back of the car. That law of course will be abrogated, ignored and superceded by my family. The suitcases will be used, but so will numerous plastic bags giving the appearance of a hasty departure. We'll give the impression of refugees fleeing a war, whose possessions have been thrown haphazzardly into the car for a quick getaway. On top of the pile of cases and bags will be my wife's hot water bottle, coats, books and other items thought of at the last minute. I'll fume silently for a while at the untidy chaos then we'll get out on the road and head for county Maigh Eo six hours away (including pit stops) and I'll get over myself.
• Denmark
This view makes me dizzy.
@xFiacre (10506)
@maluse I know the place well but cannot approach to closely. It makes me feel anxious. Spectacular though.
I expect they only do it now because they know it winds you up!
@xFiacre (10506)
@poppylicious That's as good a reason as any. It's particularly embarrassing if we stay in a hotel and we pile in with our Tesco and Sainsburys bags.
You made me smile, my mind went back to the times I was a teenager. My father HATED plastic bags he told my mother all the time to use one more suitcase, but not to use plastic bags. Do you think she ever listened? Poor Daddy.
@IreneVincent (15456)
I learned a new way to pack for a road trip. My husband and I travelled quite a bit with our four older children and I used to pack their clothes in separate suitcases, so each one would be responsible for their own clothes. Well, that didn't work well at all. The kids would pull out things and change their minds and mix up the clean clothes with the soiled clothes and would have things strewn all over the hotel rooms. So, I changed my method of packing. I packed one suitcase for each DAY we would be gone. ALL of our clothes for each separate day would be in the same suitcase. And our pajamas and toiletries would be in a separate suitcase. So, when we arrived at the hotel, we would take in Suitcase #1, the pajama suitcase and the toiletries suitcase. The rest of the suitcases would remain in the trunk of the car. The next day, we would all dress from Suitcase # 1 and all the soiled clothes would go into that empty suitcase and my husband would take it to the car and bring in suitcase # 2. At the end of the week or however many days we were travelling, the car would be packed, except for the final suitcase of soiled clothes, including the pajamas. The empty suitcase would be for any souvenirs or things we purchased on the trip. That suitcase and the toiletries suitcase would be loaded into the trunk of the car and we would be all packed and ready to go home. Shoes were also packed in a separate suitcase. It is a MUCH better way to pack when you have kids.
It must be annoying to a tidy mind but it's hard not to have last-minute items that absolutely must be included.