Do you like to travel light ?

@topffer (33287)
France
I was looking at this photo of a car posted on Twitter by the French gendarmerie. It was going from Paris to the Mediterranean Sea overloaded by 400 kgs. Some people like to go in holidays with all their furniture. Comfort, you know. I remember that a few years ago, they posted a photo of a car with a coffin on the roof. It was used for the baggage, but these people were ready for any eventuality, even the worst (or maybe there was a vampire in the car ?). Personally I like to sleep in my bed, so I can understand that, but I refrain myself and I tend to travel light with the minimum of things needed. What about you ?
I bring the minimum I need, I like to travel light and it's also a good habit if you do not want to pay fees for excessive baggage at the check in if you travel by plane.
@topffer (33287)
• France
Even by train now : the new Ouigo cheap TGVs are checking the baggages on the platform now, and you can have only 1 suitcase and 1 hand bag. Ouigo TGVs are putting extra charges on many things. Besides they do not stop in Paris but in Massy or Marne-La-Vallée, and if you add the price of the RER ticket to go to Paris, they can be more expensive than normal TGVs.
@topffer More or less like the cheap airlines, you pay for everything.
@BarBaraPrz (19405)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
I tend to travel light, as well, but it gets a little old wearing the same clothes all week, especially if you happen to spill something on yourself or if you forget to pack something essential.
@topffer (33287)
• France
You are probably among those people who never forget something essential. I have had once my suitcase stolen in Spain, and I had to buy a few clothes to continue my holidays.
@BarBaraPrz (19405)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@topffer This last trip to settle the real estate fiasco, I forgot my nightie!
@topffer (33287)
• France
@BarBaraPrz Somebody else noticed it ?
I I once traveled so light of forgot my toothbrush and we were in a hotel for my dad to have surgery near the hotel and could not get to store' so my mom let me use her toothbrush!
@topffer (33287)
• France
Very light indeed. They have often teeth kits with a toothbrush in hotels, you should have asked at the reception desk.
@topffer oops I didn't think of that! We are not ones who travel a lot!
• Pamplona, Spain
About the same travel as light as we can. That is a funny photo and the coffin for the just in case. Wonder if there was a Vampire in there? Would have to wait till night approaches to find out.
@topffer (33287)
• France
I hope that there was only 1 person in this car, but... OMG ! I am asking myself if there is not a swimming pool on the roof above the bicycle? The driver got a 135 Euros ticket to be overloaded, but they did not forced him to remove the overload to continue. Our gendarmes are kind during holidays. I remember the picture of this car with a coffin, but I have not been able to locate it again.
• Pamplona, Spain
@topffer Oh no, I hope the coffin has not walked off with someone like Dracula inside it. Maybe there was a swimming pool up there also. Our police are not so nice when it comes to overloading cars and things.
@topffer (33287)
• France
@lovinangelsinstead21 They are not always nice. I guess they had no room to host a swimming pool, a bicycle and a few deckchairs during a day or two. I do not see a vampire taking his holidays in a sunny place, as they dislike sun. Or he was a bit stupid.
@sabtraversa (12574)
Same here, if you plan to visit relatives or buy souvenirs, you'd better start with almost nothing. In the South relatives tend to give so much food you try to remember them you have grocery shops up north as well, but they won't listen to you: "oh come on, take this kilo of cheese and this two meters long sausage, in case you get hungry during the travel".
@topffer (33287)
• France
I have no relatives living in Southern Italy, but it makes me think at an old aunt that I have in the countryside. Not far from my home, but she always gives me a piece of cake for the travel.
@sabtraversa (12574)
@topffer At least the piece of cake makes sense, a bit crumbly, but it's okay.
@topffer (33287)
• France
@sabtraversa I am only at 30 km. I guess I would have the 2 m long sausage if I had to do a day trip to visit her.
if I am driving I do.But in the air.I tend to over pack.
@topffer (33287)
• France
Is it because you are going more far away and do not want to forget anything ?
@kobesbuddy (41060)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@topffer My husband likes to carry everything imaginable, all except the kitchen sink! lol Myself, I want only the bare essentials, soap, tooth brush, comb, purse, shoes, and a few outfits of clothing. He thinks I'm unprepared, when we're ready to leave! :) Using a coffin would spoil my vacation:(
@topffer (33287)
• France
Next time, tell him that you will not travel until he has disassembled the kitchen sink, he will see that you have decided to be seriously prepared.
@kobesbuddy (41060)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@topffer LOL Yes, great idea!!! And the dining room set!:)
@topffer (33287)
• France
@kobesbuddy You can move it with the indoor toilet.
@xFiacre (4288)
@topffer I always travel light, and when my wife's suitcase is full she uses up the spare space that I don't use in mine.
@topffer (33287)
• France
So you end carrying two heavy suitcases.
@xFiacre (4288)
@topffer Indeed, indeed.
@kepweng (11484)
yeah i like light one to carry nice photo i think suv can carry more baggage than a sedan
@topffer (33287)
• France
The weight that a car can carry is fixed by the car manufacturer. Usually a small suv can carry 200 kg more than a normal car.
Now, that is quite a load for that car to transport! I like to travel light.
@topffer (33287)
• France
They just gave a ticket to the driver and let the car go. I suppose they had no more place to host 400 kg during 1 or 2 days, or they have decided to be kind during holidays.
I like to travel fast and light.
@topffer (33287)
• France
Same for me. I did it in the past, but today I would not take a car to do 900 km like this person.
At that point, a person should just move . When I was younger, I was more of a pack rat packer . . . packing many extras for "just in case" and then of course being burdened with carrying it all. And when the kids were very young, I'd be sure to pack "everything" I thought was necessary. But these days I prefer to have free hands as much as possible and to save my shoulders or back. I know we can manage with less . . . I am certain we can survive .
@topffer (33287)
• France
I think there is even an inflatable swimming pool at the top, how can he go to holidays near the sea without a swimming pool? "Pack rat packer" I have also noticed that I was able to survive a week with only 1 small suitcase. Any suitcase is a handicap today : with the terrorism threat, here quite all luggage lockers have disappeared in railway stations, so you do not know where to put them on day 2 when you travel during a weekend.
@topffer Inflatable swimming pool ? I suppose he would have packed the water to go in it too . Let's not forget the scuba and fishing gear . We have yet to experience a long travel with the family (luggage x 4) so I really don't know what I would do. Our trips are usually no longer than 2-3 days, so small luggage is definitely doable. Oh yes, with terrorism threats, I can imagine they can no longer accommodate luggage storage - too risky.
@topffer (33287)
• France
@much2say They have removed them from many places, and the one maintained have seen their price x3. I think it is because of insurances. It is a good motivation to travel light. I have rented a furnished house for holidays. There was everything needed in it, including a washing machine. Some people were coming with quite no baggages, when some others were bringing their own bed sheets and blankets. I suppose it is a matter of personality.
My husband always says that I bring a whole family's staffs when we have a travel. I just think that he is exaggerating. I just bring necessary staffs If we ever travel by budget plane, then they allow 7kg of bag. If your bag is over weight, then you have to pay extra money. So I really have travel light
@topffer (33287)
• France
Budget planes here allow 7 or 10 kg of free bag. You manage to travel only with a bag and no suitcase ? I like to travel light, but not at this point. I would like to see the content of the bag of your husband if he thinks that 7 kg is too much!
@topffer In fact my bag is even not up to 7kg yet. It may be around 5kg, I guess. I bring less light clothes and therefore the bag will not be heavy. The most important stuffs are the chargers and DSLR
@topffer (33287)
• France
@youless I think that you are very reasonable.
• Guangdong, China
I am used to travel light. I think that focus on traveling is more important than comfort. If you always feel like at home while in travel, then what's point of travel outside.
@topffer (33287)
• France
You score a point here, although travel and comfort are not incompatible.
• Guangdong, China
@topffer The essentials will be enough to go out, based on my opinion.
@Lucky15 (33427)
I prefer to travel light for me and looking at the picture, i was like...no way!
@topffer (33287)
• France
The picture is extreme! And they will have to pack everything again at the end of their holidays!
@Lucky15 (33427)
@topffer I have seen travellers having their stuff on top of their vehicles/trucks, but all i have seen are surf boards
@sol_cee (14333)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
Poor, poor car.
@topffer (33287)
• France
He certainly inflated the tires.
Why dont they get themselves a caravan instead? I''m only packing lightly for travel. IC, phone, keys, cash, and a few clothes. There is no need to bring along teddybears and whatsnot. Its silly.
@topffer (33287)
• France
Good question. If they have rented a house, I hope that there is enough space for all this mess. Speaking of teddybears, I have read that a couple who had forgotten the teddy of their son, sent a helicopter to get it. I am sure it would have been less expensive to buy 100 new teddybears.
@TheSojourner (17479)
When I was in the military and in the Navy's music program, I was on the road quite a lot. I remember my first road trip and I brought everything that I needed, but I was the one carrying all of my gear up to the third floor of the barracks. That was the last time I traveled that way! Nowadays, when I travel, everything goes into one suitcase and a small carry-on. I usually bring one pair of slacks, one dress, several t-shirts or camisoles and a sweater. The clothes I'm wearing on my body, are usually a pair of jeans to travel and then I layer my upper body. I might add that I typically like to travel during winter months or I would travel much lighter. These travels are usually for three weeks or more. If I'm going for 3 weeks, I will bring 7 to10 pair of knickers and wash as I need to in the sink. I have also learned that I don't always bring my best clothes. I have left many clothes behind in England, Sweden, Japan, and various states in the United States. They were usually something that I would throw away.
@topffer (33287)
• France
I have had about 20 years ago all my clothes stolen in a car in Spain, and since this time, I never travel with my best clothes. I like to bring a lot of things, but it has become a handicap since a few years : due to the terrorist attacks we had, luggage lockers have disappeared quite everywhere, and having to walk a full day with 2 suitcases after I left my hotel (it is worst than carrying them to a third floor), made me think again : next time 1 suitcase should be enough. I go to Paris on Wednesday, I will just take a small bag.
@topffer unless we were to wet or soil ourselves, there's no reason that blue jeans should ever have to be washed after worn once or twice. I usually travel in them. The only thing I really concerned myself with is having enough clean underwear. I also use travel-size of everything I can always buy more later. The only thing that takes up a lot of space in my suitcases are my shoes. I don't have the luxury of being able to buy them easily, so I usually have to bring them
@topffer (33287)
• France
@CoralLevang Even with this luxury, new shoes are not always comfortable.
Imagine unpacking and repacking that. I hope they didn't move on every day. We try to travel light but it doesn't always work.
@topffer (33287)
• France
I am afraid he will have to repack that soon, as summer holidays are ending in France. Traveling with a camper is like traveling with a house, no ?
@topffer We are hoping to get a couple of cartons at least to take back. They will fit under the seats at the back of the vehicle.
@YrNemo (11213)
I was good camping in the wild as a child (we were trained for all that ), so I am OK (and perhaps quite competent) in traveling light. However, when one travels with a child, it is different. I used to stack things for my kids. Not fun one bit!
@topffer (33287)
• France
Quite all children enjoy camping, maybe not in a jungle though. Children need a lot of things. I read that a few days ago a rich couple who was in a hotel in Cannes sent a helicopter to pick up a teddy bear forgotten on a beach at 40 km from their hotel.
@YrNemo (11213)
@topffer wow, to be THAT rich...
@topffer (33287)
• France
@YrNemo It costed 700 Euros. I give you a link to a video. The article says "the hapiness of a child has no price".
Un couple de touristes espagnols a fait rapatrier le doudou de leur enfant dans leur hôtel de Cannes, après l’avoir oublié à Saint-Tropez…