Boy Scouts vs Girl Scouts?

Eugene, Oregon
I read that the Girl Scouts of America President had written a "sharply worded letter" to the head of the Boy Scouts of America protesting a move to test a program to recruit girls into the Boy Scouts organization. I never expected to see a fight between these two organizations, but maybe it is a sign of our angry and competitive times. I was never a boy scout (or a girl scout either for that matter). My mother did not like the idea and we probably could not have afforded it anyway. I know two retired BSA executives who live nearby and will have to get their views on this feud. Anne was in Campfire Girls while growing up. Were you ever a girl scout or boy scout? How would a co-ed Boy Scouts of America be?
I was a brownie. Yeah we would have thought who are these guys if boys were in our little troop lol
• Eugene, Oregon
I wonder if the girls would feel they were being competed with too much?
@JamesHxstatic I imagine they would at some point or other.
@ramapo17 (22632)
• Melbourne, Florida
@JamesHxstatic I would never have thought that as I was always competitive. I always liked to do things the boys did as none of the girls could compete with me I always said I was the son my dad never had.
My sister and I were Girl Scouts, Brownies first of course. Our brother was a Cub Scout then a Boy Scout. I am not against a co-ed Boy Scouts, but the name should be changed to the Girl and Boy Scouts of America. Both male and female have a lot to offer under excellent supervision..
@ramapo17 (22632)
• Melbourne, Florida
You are exactly right @Corbin5. Maybe if more kids would get involved in organizations like this and do things physically instead of being on the IPADS etc.
@moffittjc (41289)
• Gainesville, Florida
I was in Boy Scouts, and earned my Eagle badge, the highest rank you can obtain in Scouts. Interesting, you can only remain a Boy Scout until you turn 18. At 18, the option is to move on to Explorer Scouts, which is co-ed. I was very excited to join the Explorers when I found out there were girls in it! haha
@ramapo17 (22632)
• Melbourne, Florida
I can see you doing that Jeff.
@moffittjc (41289)
• Gainesville, Florida
@ramapo17 I wouldn't pass up the opportunity of a lifetime! Haha When I was in Boy Scouts, our summer camp was on one side of a large lake. On the other side of the lake was the Girl Scout camp. We used to sneak out in the middle of the night and canoe across the lake to raid the girl's camp! Haha
@ramapo17 (22632)
• Melbourne, Florida
@moffittjc Did you ever get caught?
I made it as far as Weeblos, then dropped out to play basketball.
• Eugene, Oregon
That was a good reason.
@teamfreak16 were you a good player.What position did you play @amadeo
@amadeo - I was a small forward, but I can pass like a point guard.
@Lucky15 (33427)
I was never a girl scout ;/ and am not sure why I didn't become one :D
• Eugene, Oregon
It was not cheap to be a scout when I was a kid.
@Lucky15 (33427)
@JamesHxstatic my parents has been on tight budget since i have 12 more siblings
• Eugene, Oregon
@Lucky15 Twelve! That is a big family!
@RubyHawk (21940)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Not I, but my boys were Boy Scouts.I'm all for girl power but I dont know why both groups would be open to both sexes.
• Eugene, Oregon
I wonder how each group would be affected, or should they merge?
@RubyHawk (21940)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@JamesHxstatic They might like it but it still sounds weird.
• Eugene, Oregon
@RubyHawk I agree.
I was a Brownie and a Girl Scout. I think it's ridiculous. This PC outlook has gone too far. My brothers were Boy Scouts and believe they wouldn't have been to pleased with a bunch of girls being there.
• Eugene, Oregon
How would the girls feel I wonder?
@JamesHxstatic At that age, they are disgusted by boys. lol
• Eugene, Oregon
@DianneN As well they should be.
I think it could be interesting.No I was not in the boy scout.My children were.
• Eugene, Oregon
If the boys did not take over everything it might work, but that could be a problem.
@ramapo17 (22632)
• Melbourne, Florida
@JamesHxstatic Have you see some of the girls these days. I think they are the aggressive ones. I have a daughter and a son and my daughter has always been very aggressive.
@ramapo17 oh!I have seen them
I was a girl scout, however I find it interesting that the Boy Scouts are willing to go coed but not willing to allow gays.
• Eugene, Oregon
True, but I think they have now decided to allow gay or transsexual boys after all now with the controversy over that.
@ramapo17 (22632)
• Melbourne, Florida
@JamesHxstatic The big thing when I was growing up was different races. There was a black girl with the same last name as mine. My sister and I went to the YWCA in the summer and we had the same last name as a black girl. I use to tell everyone we were all sisters and at that time the teachers just laughed at me. How simple things were then and we all got along great. I hated when the summer was over and we didn't see each other again.
• Eugene, Oregon
@ramapo17 I grew up in those times as well, in Texas, where things were quite segregated. You had courage in including that black girl as part of your "family."
• Otis Orchards, Washington
I was never in the Boy Scouts (or Girl scouts). I watched the news on this and they talked to a girl who went to the Boy Scouts with her brothers starting at the age of 4. She was considered an unofficial member. She is now 16 and pushing for there to be girls in Boy Scouts. We all know what is coming next. Boys wanting to join Girl Scouts. Why don't they cut their losses, join together and become Scouts of America and teach the best from both organizations to both boys and girls?
• Eugene, Oregon
Good question. I'm not sure though what the Boy Scouts do that Girl Scouts do not and combining would surely change the dynamics of any troop.
• Eugene, Oregon
• Otis Orchards, Washington
@JamesHxstatic Boys and girls are playing sports together instead of the separately. So why not join them together and we all live happily ever after?
@YrNemo (11291)
I don't know much about scout so can't comment here. Always thought that scouts these days was a mixed group (boys & girls together). My older siblings went to separate scout groups (boys or girls).
• Eugene, Oregon
They are separate so far.
@ramapo17 (22632)
• Melbourne, Florida
When my mother was a girl scout leader it was just girls and I belonged to that. Years later I was a girl scout leader and I had all girls including my daughter. We both had a lot of fun in that organization, good clean fun.
• Eugene, Oregon
@ramapo17 The way it should stay.
@FayeHazel (16602)
I don't understand why the girlscouts should be angry - I mean there is a girl scouts for girls to participate in. Or else integrate it both into ... I don't know... kid scouts or something. I agree, people seem pretty touchy these days
• Eugene, Oregon
@Corbin5 & @FayeHazel, It seems to me that the boys would pretty much try to take over and girls would take a back seat. Anne said her Campfire Girls learned map reading and all sorts of camping things.
@FayeHazel (16602)
@JamesHxstatic True. It may become odd like that. I never was a girlscout (or a boyscout). I was a 4-H kid. :-) The boyscouts serve at a fundraiser dinner I attend - they always do really nice work...
@ramapo17 (22632)
• Melbourne, Florida
@JamesHxstatic The girls nowadays are not prissy. Some of them can take on a boy and beat them in many activities. I was that way and so was and still is my daughter. I was still that way when I worked and even now at 75 I can still pull my weight.
Was never one, My sister was a Girl Scout, and my nephew is in Boy Scouts currently. He has a very good friend who is a girl, but I think he would be against a girl in his group!
• Eugene, Oregon
I would hope girls would shun the opportunity. They need their own space and the mentorship provided by Girl Scout leaders.
@JamesHxstatic That is something I hope would happpen. But there will always, I think, loose girls who will join Boy Scouts to be with those boys, unfortunately?
@sallypup (26355)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I was a girl scout for a couple of weeks. The volunteer leader got tired of the gig and poof! No more troop. I think I envied my brothers when they were in boy scouts. There seemed to be lots to do. The troop I was in didn't do much.
• Eugene, Oregon
I wonder why they could not find another one?
@sallypup (26355)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@JamesHxstatic Good question. It was MPLS so you'd think there would have been somebody. That was about third grade time so I don't have a good answer.
I was never a girl scout. In my opinion the two should be kept apart as it was in the beginning.
• Eugene, Oregon
The Girl Scouts leaders seem to think so too. They they think the Boy Scouts are being sneaky.
I don't know much about Scouts,just know it is an international organization.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, and they, the Girl Scouts of America (in this case) and the BSA have always been separate here.
@kepweng (11558)
i think both are tough cause they drill train to be faster when called on duty and always on time
@JESSY3236 (6093)
I wasn't one either. My fiance was a boy scout and my mother was a girl scout. I don't think a co-ed boy scouts would work.
• Eugene, Oregon
I see no reason for it really.
@ramapo17 (22632)
• Melbourne, Florida
I was a Girl Scout and started in the Brownies, which is the group younger than the Girl Scouts. My mom was a leader and many years later I became a Brownie leader. I have great memories of both of them and my daughter was also a Brownie.
• Eugene, Oregon
Seems to me best to keep them separate really.