I Lost A Diamond But Gained A Daughter-In-Law

What a day yesterday was! A day that I've dreamed about for years. A day that I've prayed about for years, and my dreams and my prayers were answered tenfold. As we were visiting after supper I felt something odd on one of my rings. Upon closer inspection I saw that I had lost a diamond from the setting. It is a cluster dinner ring, not my most favorite setting, but the first ring that my husband gave to me many years ago. I talked to the bride's sister about it. I knew that she had her grandmother's rings redesigned here in the city that we live in. We do not have a goldsmith here and are reluctant to take my jewelry anywhere without a good recommendation. So I do believe that since I never really cared for the setting of this ring I may look into having it redesigned and maybe an emerald put into it. Not a big deal, diamonds can be replaced and gaining a daughter-in-law to our loving small family is a once in a lifetime joy! I'll post pictures tomorrow when we download them.
The good thing is your not upset. Good luck.
No, I cannot find a reason to be upset at all. After all I do not usually wear this ring, but pulled it out to wear for our son's wedding. I am looking forward to finding a good goldsmith that can work with me to redesign it, I have some ideas. Our son made the grave mistake of removing his ring while washing his hands after supper last night and a few of us noticed him without his (new) ring on and commented on it. We all explained not to remove it when washing his hands, but to dry around it and move it so that there is no water under it. He laughed and reminded us that it was his first day on the job......and then went to retrieve his new ring.
I will be happy to see your photos. Now you need to rest and to relax.
I don't think that I'll have any for a while. All of the photos that we took and had on our camera were deleted by one of our dil's nieces. We just discovered that.
@Juliaacv Oh my goodness, this is so sad. I hope that others took photos, what a terrible accident.
@LadyDuck We were having issues with the camera itself, so yes, we do have a few pictures.
@deazil (4547)
Ahhh, the wedding!! A really special day for you, I know. Perfect title for your discussion - Lost a Diamond but Gained a DIL - maybe she's a diamond in disguise. LOL Looking forward to the pictures. Congratulations!
Oh yes she is! And when I eventually pass this ring down to her, hopefully it will be a beautiful reminder of their special wedding day.
@deazil (4547)
@Juliaacv What a nice thought! I'm sure that ring will also be a reminder of what a wonderful mother-in-law she has. It's so nice for you to have a DIL you feel that way about, that you can give her what will most likely become a family heirloom. I hope you always remain close and become even closer over the years.
@deazil Oh thank you. Its such a new title, I forget that I am a mother-in-law. I know that our son has always loved that ring of mine, mostly because it was the first one that Daddy gave to me. I feel that she trusts us very much. They received a few smeg small kitchen appliances that she asked us to take and store in our den until they return from their honeymoon next week. And then they were discussing their marriage license, and they both asked me to bring it home here so that they don't lose or spoil it on their honeymoon. So, I plan on setting everything up nicely and taking a picture of it to send to them. We'll pick them up from the airport next weekend and bring them here.
Looking forward to seeing the pictures. You were all in my thought yesterday. I am sorry about the ring but I am sure you will find a good goldsmith to repair it the way you want.
Thank you. It was a beautiful ceremony, it was a bright sunny day, and we inquired about going up on the rooftop afterward, and the staff advised the officient this so she actually allowed them to marry up there. It was so nice, overlooking the city and in the sunshine.
@Juliaacv I am glad they did. What a beautiful place for a wedding.
@Happy2BeMe They texted us some pictures yesterday from the rainforest that they visited in BC. It looked spectacular.
@alberello75 (18638)
• Genova, Italy
Perhaps the regret for losing a diamond is not just for its value in terms of money. Much more for an affective object. At least, I think that way.
No, a cluster ring has lots of diamonds in it, so I wasn't emotionally attached to any of them in particular, the ring I am though and it can be redone to my specs.
@alberello75 (18638)
• Genova, Italy
@Juliaacv So, from what I understand, you can fix it by inserting another diamond instead of the lost one. True?
@alberello75 Yes it could be fixed by adding another diamond and having the claw repaired but I think that I'd rather have it changed into a slightly different setting.
@Platespinner (17062)
Congratulations on the new family member. I don't ever plan to get married 'cause I don't like responsibility...I'd have to get a real job.
Thank you Emmett. But no, not really, you could get away with your good looks, you may not even need a job. And not everyone can rely on that!
@Juliaacv besides, I want to see the world and do what I want to do. A wife would just hold me back. I might find me a girl friend someday though.
@Platespinner You could play your cards right Mr. Emmett, and get you a sugar-Momma. That is what our son did, his new bride makes about 10K a year more then he does, and she just started with this employer in the spring! She'll take him places I'm sure! Don't give up on finding a wife just yet......
Well I am sorry you lost your diamond but so happy that you have gotten a daughter-in-law.
Yeah, me too!
@Juliaacv Lovely picture
@BelleStarr Thanks, it was a really beautiful and special day for us all.
I am always worried that I will lose the diamond in my engagement ring. Thankful that I wear gloves when I clean a client's home. I always carefully remove the glove and check the ring.
I rarely wear that ring, the rings that I wear on a regular basis I have inspected and repaired, if necessary annually because this isn't the first diamond that I've lost.
@Juliaacv I have a beautiful pearl that I only wear to special events like a wedding. I worry about losing the pearl.
@ElusiveButterfly Yes, I would be also, pearls are very delicate especially in a ring.
@YrNemo (14703)
I thought you lost a diamond as in, you gave your daughter in law the heirloom diamond ring... Sad, losing it that way!
Not a big deal, it gives me an excuse to have someone redesign it, and basically I'll get a new piece of jewelry out of it.
@YrNemo (14703)
@Juliaacv I lost one once (a whole earring), made me so sad since it was sort of a wedding gift from my husband.
@YrNemo I lost a gold earring that my grandparents brought me back from Europe and I remember feeling so awful over it.
Yes, diamonds can be replaced and you did look at the silver lining of getting to redesign the ring! When I read the title I thought you were going to say your son gave his wife one of your rings....
No, but since he's our only one he and her will inherit everything. We've already talked about my rings that she'll get, I have more rings then I do fingers. I have a lovely antique ring that my grandfather bought for my grandmother when they were on a trip back to Belgium, I plan to give that to our dil when they have their first born.
@Juliaacv It's nice to share things like that while you can enjoy their enjoyment of the gift.
A shame about losing the diamond but it is a good chance to have it redesigned. Glad the wedding went off well.
That is what I thought too. Thanks, it was so intimate and beautiful.
I'm glad the day went well! And even though you lost one diamond you now have the chance to get a new one that you like more! =)
Yeah, that's hat I thought. I'll be able to post pictures later on.
Yay! I am glad the wedding went well. I am sorry you lost a diamond. Maybe you will add some color to the rinh, emeralds are so pretty!
They are, and I've always wanted something with an emerald in it. So, what better time then to have the first ring that my husband gave to me, redone, right after our beloved son's wedding? I do not know at what age a ring becomes antique, but this one is old, it was given to me in 1983, so its well on its way to becoming an antique.
Glad to hear everything went well with the wedding, except losing the diamond of course.
Thanks TR, losing the diamond opened up a door to have the old ring revamped and maybe a different stone added to it. It will be a great way to remember their wedding day.
Yep, it's a good idea to have it redone the way that you would like it.
@sueznewz2 (10133)
• Alicante, Spain
sorry to hear about the diamond... but glad you had a great day...and i'm looking forward to the photos....
Your daughter-in-law is a new diamond for you!