Favorite "Weather" Songs #9 - "Ridin' the Storm Out"

Colorado Springs, Colorado
This particular music series focuses on the weather. Basically, it features songs with weather of some sort in the title. We are at #9: "Ridin' the Storm Out" by REO Speedwagon. The title song from REO's 1973 album, "Ridin' the Storm Out," written by the late guitarist Gary Richrath, was not released as a single, yet it remains one of the band's most popular tunes. It's about the band getting stranded in a Colorado snowstorm. Kevin Cronin had not joined the band at this point, so the original vocals were performed by Mike Murphy. I've linked to a live performance, filmed in Kansas City. It features Cronin on vocals (dig the mullet!) and frankly, it rocks. Enjoy! (Info verified by Wikipedia)
REO Speedwagon performing "Ridin' the Storm Out" live at Kemper Arena in Kansas City, July 28, 1985. From the "Wheels Are Turnin'" live VHS.
I was spinning 'Live/You Get What You Play For' yesterday, still my favorite from them
That is a good live album.
@crossbones27 (15120)
• Redlands, California
We once almost got stranded in the Rockies in Colorado when my sister broke her Transmission on her Hummer. We were way up there too. That was a bit scary. Getting stuck in a snow storm would suck also, but made for a cool song.
• Redlands, California
@teamfreak16 Well, at least you were stranded at a good place. The good thing about our issue was, think she just stripped the gears. Not sure if that is an actual thing because obviously do not know much about how cars work. We could go, but had to be very careful pressing the gas or engine would just rev and we would go no where. The funny thing is on the trip, she kept putting it in cruise control and the hummer would jerk real violently every so often. I told her I do not like how it is doing that and that is why I never use cruise control on my car. I think that is what broke her transmission a few days later. She got a new one and was a grip, but now she never uses cruise control. She is on her third transmission with this hummer.
@crossbones27 - She has a Hummer? As you probably know, those are really fun to drive.
• Redlands, California
@teamfreak16 Yeah, she got that back when times were good, at least as far as financially before the Bush administration wrecked the economy. They are fun to drive, but hard on the wallet. I have been trying to get her to get rid of it for years and go with something more practical to no avail.
I should have seen this one coming. I like Roll with the Changes but this is REO's best rocker.
Most definitely their hardest rocker.
• Richfield, Utah
This one is so cool, especially live!
The live version is definitely better.
@FourWalls (9915)
One of my favorite REO songs, from when they were a rock band.
Yeah, there's a big difference between this and Hi Infidelity. This and "Golden Country" are my favorites.
@FourWalls (9915)
@teamfreak16 -- "Golden Country" is superb!!! I remember when you could hear that on the radio!
@FourWalls - Radio sucks these days. There is an entire generation that will never know what a great song it is.
@dgobucks226 (6687)
Nice REO song! They had some nice hits in the 80's. Always liked "Can't Fight This Feeling" and "Take It On The Run."
This and "Golden Country" are my favorites.
@teamfreak16 They had a pretty long career as a band! Definitely, had a following.
@LeaPea2417 (15271)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I always liked that song.
It's classic REO.
@LeaPea2417 (15271)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@teamfreak16 Yes, it is.
Yea,this one I knowScott.Thanks.
Oh, you're welcome. It's nice that you know it.
@teamfreak16 yes a rarity for Alfredo.
@Xiasses (342)
I will find time to play this music. Hope this will brighten my gloomy day!
Well I hope you enjoy it.
Awesome choice one of my favorite Reo Speedwagon songs.