An imposing monument in Bordeaux

Bunbury, Australia
This striking monument is in Bordeaux, and thanks to @topffer, we were able to see this and many other sights on our visit there. The monument is situated in the immense market square. It is very imposing. One side represents war and opposite is peace. One plaque was in English and I hope I’m not infringing any copyright by reproducing it here: ‘Place des Quinconces Monument to the Girondins (1893-1902) In the immense Place des Quinconces – the square of the royal Chateau Trompette – Dumilâtre and Rich sculpted a grandiose monument of pure 3rd Republic style in tribute to the Girondins revolutionaries and to the Republic. ‘Made of marble and bronze, it was designed to convey the ideal revolutionary spirit, together with social peace and Republican values The Girondins were bourgeois businessmen who stove to promote the interests of their land. Yet all their efforts came to naught for they met with violent death. Since 1893, the image of Freedom breaking free from its chains has hovered over the roofs of Bordeaux. However, it is freedom and freedom alone that triumphs in the history books.’
That is a really cool monument. Nice pic!
Here's a bit more of it.
@JudyEv - Wow. Very impressive.
I love this statue.
It is very powerful. Incredible how clever some of these sculptors are.
@topffer (34705)
• France
I guess you deserve the medal of the city of Bordeaux for this kind description of the Girondins. My brother called me today, he was in the Alps last week, he told me of a lot of things that I should have showed to you. It will be for your next visit to France.
You should write a post with the other point of view. I didn't really know enough about it so just copied the plaque. Don't tell us about what we missed and we'll never be the wiser. We were perfectly happy and pleased with our day.
@topffer (34705)
• France
@JudyEv These bourgeois have been responsible for a war against all surrounding kingdoms in 1792, and it is when they wanted to arrest Marat (a journalist and deputy elected by the Parisians, killed later by Charlotte Corday) in 1793 that an insurrection happened in Paris. They did not had a fair trial though, but they got what they sew.
@topffer I know you explained this to us - that they weren't all 'goodies' but as I didn't know enough about it I just included the inscription.
@m_audrey6788 (13664)
So nice to see many good places..Thanks for sharing it here
I'm pleased you're enjoying the posts.
@JudyEv ..Welcome
Monuments used to be quite elaborate. This is art.
I guess they take a small fortune to create.
@Platespinner (16783)
There is a LOT going on in that monument!
Here's another photo from the base on the 'war' side.
@JudyEv I really want to go see that for myself. It looks like such fun to climb on.
@Platespinner I don't REALLY think they'd want you climbing on it.
That is one very impressive and also beautiful monument. Such great detail I can imagine how long it took to build it.
I don't really know how they go about making such a sculpture. I must research it more and find out.
Awesome photo must have been a lot of work to carve those.
They are amazingly detailed.
@YrNemo (13412)
Beautiful that monument.