A Great Writer

Daytona Beach, Florida
It was a great day for the literary world when author William Faulkner was born on September 25, 1897 in New Albany, Mississippi. His father was the business manager of the University of Mississippi and his mom instilled the love of reading in him and his three brothers. In 1918 when Faulkner’s romance with his high school girlfriend broke up he joined the British Royal Flying Corps however WW I ended before his training was finished in Canada and he returned to Mississippi. One of his neighbors gave him the money to publish his first book of poem titled “The Marble Faun in 1924. Two years later Faulkner published his first novel “Soldier’s Pay”. After divorcing her first husband and having had two children Faulkner’s high school sweetheart Estelle returned to him and they were married in 1929. They bought a ruined mansion near Oxford and started restoring it. During this time Faulkner finished his novel, “The Sound and the Fury” which was published in October 1929. This book opens with the interior monologue of a developmentally disabled mute character. He also challenged traditional forms of fiction in his next book “As I Lay Dying” which featured 59 different interior monologues. Followed by two more novels “Light in August” and “Absalom, Absalom”. Since Faulkner’s novels weren’t earning him enough money to support his family he also sold short stories to magazines and worked as a Hollywood screenwriter. He wrote two critically acclaimed films both of which starred Humphrey Bogart. One was “To Have and Have Not” based on an Ernest Hemingway novel and the other “The Big Sleep” based on a mystery novel by Raymond Chandler. Faulkner received recognition when he published “The Portable Faulkner” in 1946 which included lots of stories set in Yoknapatawpha County. Three years later he won the Nobel Prize in Literature and his “Collected Stories” won the National Book Award. For the rest of his life Faulkner lectured on university campuses. The author died of a heart attack at the age of 65. How many of you have read his books? How many have seen the movies?
On this day in History, William Faulkner is born on Sep 25, 1897. Learn more about what happened today on History.
@vandana7 (66816)
Aw... I heard of him, but I don't recall reading his works.
My husband has read Faulkner, and I do believe I read As I Lay Dying a long time ago. Definitely an author to admire.
I have seen a few old movies starring Humphrey Bogart, could be that "To Have and Have not" was one of them.