For the Love of Animals

The people of Texas are bound and determined not to leave their pets behind when they must evacuate their homes due to the rising flood waters. On boat after boat, dogs, cats, birds and a wide variety of other pets can be seen cradled in the arms of the owners who love them so. Humans are wading through chest-high water carrying pets of all shapes and sizes to safety. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) and the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) have teams on the ground in Texas, right now, to evacuate pets in dire need of rescue. Shelters for humans in Texas are not only providing a safe haven for humans but also for the pets who belong to those humans. Right now, I am watching the rescue of 12 horses. Thank you to the people of Texas, and to the ASPCA and the HSUS, for recognizing that animals also must also be saved when disaster strikes.
Cute picture and, prayers going out to everyone affected.
That picture just seemed to be a right fit. No way would you leave your fur babies behind. Me neither.
@Corbin5 No they would be coming with me where ever we went, if I had to build an ark like Noah.
@TRBRocks420 Molly and I would jump on the ark!!!
What an adorably cute picture! Our pets, large or small, fury or feathered are our family members, and who could leave them behind? I remember a flood we had a couple of decades ago, it was the result of an ice jam on the river during a sudden spring thaw, and it caused water to overspill the banks of the river and swallow up hundreds of acres of farmland. And of course on some of that farmland were cattle, I remember 1 farmer lost almost 100 head of cattle, it was so devastating. A herd like that isn't exactly something that you can pick up and take with you.
Yes, a large herd would be impossible to save. I was amazed at the 12 horses being rescued, and the many different ways that were tried to rescue them. They finally did it! People are going back into their flood homes to get their pets. No way could we leave a pet behind.
@Corbin5 I cannot imagine anyone not going to the extreme to save 1 horse, let alone a dozen of them. Kudos for them for doing that!
@nanette64 (17977)
• Fairfield, Texas
Amen to that @Corbin5 .
Yes, a relief to know that pets have become a priority too.
@nanette64 (17977)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Corbin5 Since 99.9% of cats hate water; and I have a hard enough time just trying to load ONE up in a crate to take to the vet, can you imagine trying to load up 13 of them?
@nanette64 Yikes. Armour would have to be worn and I suppose nets too!
@sueznewz2 (10161)
• Alicante, Spain
it's great isn't it... like you say... well done to all the rescue workers...and the shelters too...
Yes, I was so pleased to hear that pets are a top priority too.
@sueznewz2 (10161)
• Alicante, Spain
@Corbin5. I think they learned a lot from hurticane katrina ....
@sueznewz2 They really did. Everything is well-coordinated now.
• Pamplona, Spain
Some touching the heart stories coming out of there. Really glad about the animals also and I love the photo he is really really sweet that dog.
Yes, "Never leave an animal behind" would be a great motto for the state of Texas and for all those from other states who are helping to save those animals. .
• Pamplona, Spain
@Corbin5 Touched me how they carried the Children out to safety also.
@lovinangelsinstead21 Oh yes, residents helping residents is something wonderful to watch during something that is so tragic. No race, no gender, no creed, and no class matters when Americans come together to help other Americans. A true picture of America can be seen in Texas and not from what the media or politicians say.
I also saw some recusing animals and pets, it's very nice they care about them too.
Yes, I am so pleased at the teams on the ground saving as many pets as possible.
@Corbin5 I saw lots of Facebook videos rescuing dogs and horses. :)
Yes I saw some cops hurding cattle in the deep waters too Deborah.
A true picture of the American people is being seen in Texas. Forget what politicians and the media spew, the American people are already great. If left to their own devices, the majority of Americans do not care about gender, creed, race or religion, they care about people, and animals too.
@Corbin5 Yes they surely do..we are good people Deobrah..blessings to you dear friend.
That's good the animals are being rescued too.
It is amazing the lengths that humans will go to when it comes to saving a pet. I would do the same.
@Corbin5 I know you would, and if I still had a dog, so would I.
@just4him I know you would too, my friend!!!
@JeeyanDee (2711)
I undestand their sentiment and it's great for ASPCA and the HSUS to recognize these. I too would not be able to leave behind my dogs plus they're a part of the family.
Yes, those of us who have loved an animal would never leave an animal behind.
@JeeyanDee (2711)
@Corbin5 Yeah, but not everyone can empathize with us though, and it's great that your government has and took the initiative to save them too.
I'm glad to see animals getting help too. I'm just more concerned about the people. I have family that are impacted by Hurricane Harvey, and they are my first concern. I want to see everyone safe.
Yes, I too, want to see all safe. Praying your family is safe!
@Corbin5 Thank you so much. Your kindness is appreciated. I think they are going to be fine. It's just been very stressful. Still a lot of people out there suffering. Food and water are becoming issues now too.
I was talking with my husband yesterday evening as we were concerned about the animals in Texas, both pets and wild animals.
Yes, I saw today that wild boars are roaming the less-flooded neighborhoods. All animals are negatively affect by this disaster.
@Corbin5 The more lucky are the birds.
Beautiful picture. I have watched and read many stories of animal rescues and it is so heart warming. I have also read some terrible stories where people left animals tied up to die. It was heartbreaking.
Yes, some people left animals. I think the folks who did that should not have their pet returned to them. Many of the rescued pets are up for adoption.
@Corbin5 it is a sad situation.
@resukill22 (4857)
what agood attitude of human to there loving pets!
Yes, the humane societies have sent teams to Texas to rescue animals too.
@Corbin5 that was great.
@divalounger (2250)
That is a great idea!
Amazed at all the help coming into that state. Looking at the news footage, no matter the creed, race, gender or religion. Americans help Americans. Instead of spewing hate, the media needs to take a look at Texas right now. That's America.
@Corbin5 I agree!! But we have a long history of banding together in times of crisis
@alberello75 (18706)
• Genova, Italy
Yes, I agree. Also the animals must be saved when disaster strikes!! In Roma (capital city of italy), there is a drought emergency! My dad today read the news in the newspaper. Immediately he thought that, due to this hydrological absence, many animals should to be saved (without water, it is a serious problem for them!). I hope that in Roma there are Animalistic and Voluntary Associations, ready to give "water" to these innocent creatures On other newspapers instead, this news was not even written!
Oh, I hope that the animals in Roma can be saved too. I am so glad your father brought this problem to our attention. I read an article about this and it was mentioned that "so much of the system doesn’t work, but the drought makes it critical.” I suppose looking into ways to bring water to Roma is something that should be done if droughts are going to be a common occurrence.
@alberello75 (18706)
• Genova, Italy
@Corbin5 There was never talk of drought in Roma, a city with lots of fountains! The shortage of rain for months, and this really hot summer with record-temperatures, have caused this problem.
I am so happy that those precious animals are being rescued. No matter what would I leave my Doodles behind. I know you feel the same about Molly.
Oh yes, no way would you or I leave our fur babies behind. I was so impressed that so many felt the same as we do.
@Corbin5 I especially loved seeing them sitting like people in the boats, sailing merrily away to safety. Animals are the best!
This is so heartwarming, I am so proud of my fellow Texans.
Me too. And, if other countries want to really know about Americans, take a look at Texas!!
Well, at least southeast texas @Corbin5 I honestly know so little about north or northeast texas
@jobelbojel (8297)
I feel blessed for the lives of the people who rescued the animals.
I was so happy to see this too. If the world wants to see what the majority of Americans are like, all they need to do is look at what is going on in Texas. The majority of Americans do not care about gender, creed, race or religion, they just care about people, and animals too. The media and politicians try to make the world thing otherwise, but no so.
@Corbin5 I have not seen what happened in Houston but my company has a data center in Houston. Our data center was inaccessible because of the flooding.
• Walnut Creek, California
I'm glad to hear that the animals are being looked after. I just read that there's some looting and armed robberies going on there. Those looters and armed robbers should be helping with the rescue effort if they have too much time on their hands!
I agree. I am thinking "chain gang" of animal rescuers is just right for those who are caught.
• Preston, England
great that the animals have not been abandoned
Teams are on the ground now rescuing as many animals as possible.