Hurricane Harvey is Still Alive and Well

@peavey (16829)
Since my daughter was in Houston when this hurricane hit, I have been watching it pretty closely! She's still there, waiting for the water to recede so she can get to the airport, IF her flight isn't cancelled yet again. She is missing days of work and getting frustrated, but there's nothing to be done about it. Harvey is slowly moving on, leaving devastation in it's trail. Now it's on to Louisiana and from the maps I have seen, it will cause bad weather deep into the interior of the US. I have never experienced a hurricane or even a tornado, but I have been through blizzards and hailstorms and that's enough for me!
Living in the Caribbean, I have experienced the mild ones and the devastating ones. I don't know what we will get this year, but I am making the necessary preparations. We won't have the all clear until November 30.
@peavey (16829)
I can't imagine living with that thought. Guess I am a wimp when it comes to weather. What preparations do you make?
@peavey most people leave preparations for the last minute because there are usually some years when the season ends without a storm. Trees near to the house are usually trimmed. You store water, stock up on canned food, batteries, candles, be sure prescriptions are filled, check roofs etc.
@peavey (16829)
@Kandae11 Thanks, I was curious! Sounds about like what we do here for blizzards. Make sure there is food, water, light and so on. We also have to find ways to stay warm.
• Eugene, Oregon
Sorry to hear that your daughter is there. I would worry a lot I know. I was in a hurricane once when I was about 5 in Florida. We spent the night at a courthouse shelter. Though I lived in Texas growing up, I was only in two tornado warnings, no tornado.
@ramapo17 (24583)
• Melbourne, Florida
You lucked out on that.
@peavey (16829)
Thanks... she was lucky that they were able to stay in the house and didn't have to go to a shelter.
@ramapo17 (24583)
• Melbourne, Florida
I have been in many hurricanes in my life starting when I was about 5 years old. We had to evacuate as we lived on a river in New Jersey. We stayed at my aunt and uncles for about a week. After that I have been in many hurricanes and the last one was last year although we did evacuate for 5 days, all the power went out and all the food in our freezer and refrigerator went bad. We had to through it all out. I was in some a lot worse than that one to along with blizzards. I am use to disasters.
@peavey (16829)
Yikes! You must be used to them. Blizzards don't bother me, but hurricanes do. Maybe because I have never been through one.
@ramapo17 (24583)
• Melbourne, Florida
@peavey You are right. The unknown is always more scary because you don't know what to expect. Just listen to the weather stations and if the say evacuate, I would do that.
@peavey (16829)
@ramapo17 I would do it before they said it!
@1hopefulman (30261)
Harvey was a bad one! How did things work out? I'll read the other comments and see if you already answered that question.
@peavey (16829)
She got home almost a week after she had planned, so she missed some days of work, but she made it safely and that's the important thing!
@1hopefulman (30261)
@peavey Yes, that she was safe and well!
@velvet53 (16997)
• Palisade, Colorado
I have never been in a hurricane but have experienced tornadoes, hail storms and blizzards. This is so hard to swallow. So much destruction and everything. I hope that your daughter will be able to get out of there.
@ramapo17 (24583)
• Melbourne, Florida
I cannot imagine being in tornados.
@velvet53 (16997)
• Palisade, Colorado
@ramapo17 Just imagine a hurricane being on dry ground. We just don't have the water to deal with.