Bald old man

Bald at last
@Asylum (47308)
Manchester, England
Despite my age, I have always maintained a fairly good head of hair. When I began chemotherapy I expected this to change because loss of hair is well known for people undergoing chemotherapy. To my surprise, 6 weeks after the first treatment I had experienced no change. However, suddenly that was altered rapidly. I woke up one morning and combed a great deal of hair out. This continued for about a week and a half, by which time my hair was so thin that it was literally transparent. At this stage there was very little option but to concede and shave the remaining amount off.
• Denmark
I don't want to make a sexist remark, but baldness is easier to endure for men than for women.
@Asylum (47308)
• Manchester, England
Yes, I would imagine that it would be.
@Mike197602 (13516)
• Worcester, England
I don't think it is sexist at all but baldness causes some men serious issues...others like me don't care. Baldness through illness is somewhat different than baldness through genetics in my opinion.
• Baguio, Philippines
I agree. And what if one is bald? Character says it all...:)
It will grow back. I am glad to hear from you! how are you felling? Are you eating? Two weeks in and Tony`s super thick head of hair was all over the bathroom floor so he asked me to shave his head. I did so after each chemo. Now its been 5 months since the last dose and its back in and super thick, however, his dark brown auburn hair is now black with silver streaks.
@Asylum (47308)
• Manchester, England
Mine was already grey so the colour would not bother me. All in all I seem to be doing quite well.
@Asylum That is wonderful news! Keep it up and you`ll beat this.
@Asylum (47308)
• Manchester, England
@andriaperry I hope so.
Not too bad, if I may say so. I'm sure if you put on a hat and had a small beard, you would be like the character in Breaking Bad. Jokes aside, I hope that is the only side effect that is really bothering you. How are you feeling these days? How is the treatment going?
@Asylum (47308)
• Manchester, England
The treatment seems to be progressing well.
@Asylum that's good to hear.
@Asylum (47308)
• Manchester, England
@thehousewife I have a 3 day session of chemotherapy next week, after which a full appraisal of my progress will be discussed.
I started shaving mine long ago, at least I don't have to worry about 'bad hair' days
@Asylum (47308)
• Manchester, England
No, but you may get a 5 o'clock shadow.
@resukill22 (4059)
Your look for now is very nice. Your not looking old.
@Asylum (47308)
• Manchester, England
I am certainly feeling old.
@Asylum oh. How old are you now. The important is your still strong and healthy right?
@Asylum (47308)
• Manchester, England
@resukill22 I am 68 years old at the moment.
@sishy7 (27335)
I like it - you look really good! I hope the treatment continues to help you... And I've known people whose hair grew back after completing chemo...
@Asylum (47308)
• Manchester, England
Yes, apparently the hair regrows in most cases.
@sishy7 (27335)
@Asylum Quite assuring especially in cases with female patients.
@Asylum (47308)
• Manchester, England
@sishy7 It would no doubt be more difficult for a woman to accept.
Shaven heads are very common in Australia amongst all age groups Hopefully your hair will grow back once the chemo stops.
@Asylum (47308)
• Manchester, England
Yes, I do expect it to grow back afterwards.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Lookin good my friend, lookin good. Now all you need is the Bovver Boots, Ben Sherman shirt, and a pair of good Levis and a Tonic Jacket.
@Asylum (47308)
• Manchester, England
Very true, I could even take up football hooliganism now.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Asylum Yes exactly bovver hahahTis a very nice photo of you and I for one am so glad to see you and how well you are looking. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.
@Asylum (47308)
• Manchester, England
@TiarasOceanView The photograph did not turn out too well, but it should suffice.
@dragon54u (31339)
I think you look very handsome and bear a resemblance to Patrick Stewart. In America, bald is "in" and a lot of men shave their heads so they won't have to bother with haircuts or styling. Many of them don't look good because they have lumpy heads but yours looks very well shaped! I'm sorry you lost your hair and even sorrier that you have cancer but you are very good looking without hair. Not everyone can pull off that look!
@Asylum (47308)
• Manchester, England
The loss of hair is not a worry to me, although I really had no alternative but to shave my head.
You know something. This seems to suit you as is the case with many who choose a bald head. Nice to see you.
@Asylum (47308)
• Manchester, England
It certainly saves time combing my hair.
@Asylum A great sign of positive attitude
@Asylum (47308)
• Manchester, England
@allknowing I am now bald whether I like it or not, so there is no point in being negative.
@Kuttu_007 (1022)
Losing hair by hair fall will be really painful...but when it happens with chemotherapy.. there's no other way than accepting it..and trust me you look great with this new look...
@Asylum (47308)
• Manchester, England
I agree, accepting it as a fact of life was the only logical approach.
@Kuttu_007 (1022)
@Asylum you're really awesome
@Asylum (47308)
• Manchester, England
@Kuttu_007 Very kind of you to say so.
@dpk262006 (54813)
I think hair fall is normal side affect of Chemotherapy. Hope you will get back your normal hair, once the treatment is over.
@Asylum (47308)
• Manchester, England
It is one of the more well known side effects and does not usually last very long.
@dpk262006 (54813)
@Asylum You are right.
@mandala100 (25355)
@Asylum Alright my friend keep on fighting!
@Asylum (47308)
• Manchester, England
I have no intention of conceding yet.
@mandala100 (25355)
@Asylum I'm gald to hear that my friend.
@RubyHawk (21397)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I think men look good with a shaved head. Your hair will grow back after you finish chemo. Hang in there.
@Asylum (47308)
• Manchester, England
I know that it will return in time because I have spoken with many people who have undergone chemotherapy in the past.
@RubyHawk (21397)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Asylum So have I. I know one man now who's hair is just beginning to grow back.
Well, I must say you look really good. Shaving what remained was the right thing to do since it merely looks like you have that look, as my husband does, of one fine gentleman who has lost his hair due to genetics.
@Asylum (47308)
• Manchester, England
My main concern about shaving my head was that I expected it to be tricky, but I managed anyway.
@kepweng (6384)
thiers a technology now that you can grow your hair
@Asylum (47308)
• Manchester, England
I cannot imagine this working while I am still having chemotherapy.
Wished I could bald my head, I get head ache during heat of summer or any other sunny day.
@Asylum (47308)
• Manchester, England
My concern is that a sunny day may have a greater effect on me without the protection of hair.
• Marion, Kansas
Shaving it was a good choice. You look very debonair. I hope your treatments continue to progress well and you make a great recovery.
@Platespinner (18537)
You're quite a handsome fella! But then I'm partial to bald men...my husband had hair once, back before we got married .
@Asylum (47308)
• Manchester, England
I had hair up to a few days ago. Of course it had been seriously thin for almost a week.
@sabtraversa (9869)
You look good! I understand it's hard to get used to it, but eventually you will. Or hair will come back once you're done. Hope you're doing okay overall.
@Asylum (47308)
• Manchester, England
Oh yes, apart from feeling constantly weary due to the chemotherapy I am doing fine.