Naming Babies

@holdoors (1672)
Malaysia
Nowadays, people are getting more and more creative with naming their babies. In fact, they like to have some sort of unique and special names. One of my colleagues named his child after some fictional game character. Would you do so or stick to conventional naming?
Parents can be irresponsible. They want to be original and stick out among family and friends and forget that their child has to live with the name its whole life. This can be embarrassing for adults. This can't happen in Germany. Registrars don't accept nonsensical names and tell parents to choose a reasonable one.
@holdoors (1672)
I never knew that.It is great to have some sort of moderation.Otherwise, we will be seeing some super extraordinary names around.
@MALUSE Same here and in Italy, I just commented that kids are not toys. Some parents are irresponsible.
@holdoors (1672)
@LadyDuck Yes, some parents treat their children in a weird way. Enforcing their own weird liking onto the child is not that right.
@Fleura (7191)
I would try not to give my child a name that would cause them ridicule in their later life!
@holdoors (1672)
I know right.Some of them go on to change their name legally.
@Fleura This can't happen in Germany. Registrars don't accept nonsensical names and tell parents to choose a reasonable one.
@holdoors A legal change can be quite expensive. At least in Germany.
@Prshnth (945)
• Bangalore, India
I would select a name which generates some positive impact on people when you hear that name..may be find a balance between unique yet name says something
@holdoors (1672)
Yes,there needs to be a moderation when it comes to naming.
@renicemae (3352)
I agree with you. But sometimes when parents name their child, they made it too difficult. I mean, the spellings and names with silent letters...pronounced something else... etc etc. If I'll have a baby I'll stick with conventional naming but I also want it to be unique. A name that has a wonderful meaning behind it. Simple but wonderful
@holdoors (1672)
Conventional naming is the best. It is important to think of the child's future.
Yes, I would stick on a conventional name, kids are not toys.
@jobelbojel (7112)
My sister is not unique but gave her children two names.
• Nairobi, Kenya
I would stick to conventional naming and traditional ways. I have three names. My fathers name and the other, I was named after my grandmother. Mildred is mine. I got the name Tabitha after I was baptized.