Let there be light....

....above the kitchen window! Someone posted, not long ago, asking if anyone still used florescent lights. I think some people associate that type of lighting as old fashioned. Well, that's far from the truth. This house is only 6 years old and it does have a few of them...the workshop, garage, basement and the pool house. There is only one inside - the one light we use the most - above the kitchen sink. In the evening that light is on until bedtime. My husband has a small stockpile of all kinds and sizes of light bulbs, unfortunately none for the kitchen window. Sounds like a trip to town to our little ACE Hardware store and hope they have the right size. Do you keep a supply of light bulbs of all different kinds and sizes? Photo from Pixabay
My husband has an array of light bulbs, various strengths. We don't have any tube lighting here except for in our basement and out in the garage.
It is very common down here to have florescent lights above kitchen sink. This one lasted the 4 plus years we've lived here - much longer than a 'new style' would last.
@AbbyGreenhill Its the disposal of the bulbs that we don't like. They have dangerous gases in them and you cannot just throw them in the landfill. That's why we don't have many in our home, in the long run we feel it better for our environment.
@Juliaacv I feel the same as you. How can they be so good if their proper disposal is so tricky,
@fishtiger58 (28439)
• Momence, Illinois
Good morning Abby so very good to see you. I hope life is going good for you. I still have a florescent light above my kitchen sink. But who knows how long that will last hubby is into changing everything these days.
Life is great! We have been enjoying summer.
@fishtiger58 (28439)
• Momence, Illinois
@AbbyGreenhill We just recently bought some light bulbs called LIFELYTE, very cool bulbs. Makes life so much easier when you have a power outage. Glad to hear all is well.
@fishtiger58 Does that bulb stay on during power outage?
Yes, I keep a supply of light bulbs, included one florescent, we have this kind of light in the laundry room and in the garage.
We got one, came home and it didn't work - had to go back and get another one..that one worked!
@AbbyGreenhill I hate when this happens.
@LadyDuck If it was close it would be fine, but that was 32 miles of driving LOL!
I have just two different sizes of light bubs. The one size are not used that much anymore and the newer ones I can get often.
We could open our own store we have so many.
@AbbyGreenhill Not a bad idea Abby. I love the different colors.
we still have them.some we keep on stock but not all. People spend lot of money on different type of light bulb. No one is never satisfy.They gotta have it.Well then have it.lol.
They keep changing the 'rules' too.
@AbbyGreenhill yes,to .They want us to spend,spend
@amadeo Yes, you are right.
WE still have florescent lights being sold at ACE hardware here. We can still choose between LED and florescent. We don't keep a supply since we can easily buy them nearby.
We keep a supply since when a bulb burns out I want it replaced right away LOL!
@AbbyGreenhill We do the same, we replaced them right away. We can buy bulbs a few steps away from our house.
@toniganzon You are lucky. We have a hardware store but it is 8 miles each way and we had to make two trips today.
We have a collection of all sorts of bulbs and fluoro tubes. And we've needed them from time to time.
I wish they had stuck with all the old fashioned light bulbs, it was so much easier then.
@AbbyGreenhill It was indeed and some of the eco-friendly globes they have nowadays are difficult to dispose of safely. It doesn't make any sense.
@JudyEv My husband is in charge of proper disposal.
@prashu228 (18758)
I use those florescent lights as bed lights, i leave all night in living room and bedroom so that it won't be too dark in the room
That is a lot of light for a nightlight. I need darkness when I sleep LOL
@prashu228 (18758)
@AbbyGreenhill ohh.. I can't sleep in complete darkness.
@prashu228 I need complete dark and complete quiet.
• Riga, Latvia
Yes, we do because you never know and we have a two story house so some light bulbs must always be in supply.
We have 15 bulbs in the master bathroom alone.
• Riga, Latvia
@AbbyGreenhill that is certainly a lot of light bulbs.
@shshiju (8847)
• Cochin, India
In bathroom I use less bright one. In reading room I fixed bright light giving tube.
The older I get the more light I need!
@shshiju (8847)
• Cochin, India
@AbbyGreenhill That is right. LED gives more light and takes less power.
Yes, indeed, we do keep different sizes of lightbulbs here.
One thing the prev. owners did was put a lot of lights in this house.
@LeaPea2417 (12768)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Yes, we have a collection of them we use.
We could probably open our own store!
I try to keep some on hand. You never know when one will burn out.
Sometimes when one goes they all go LOL! We have so many lights in this house, the bathroom alone has 14.
@AbbyGreenhill I have four in the bathroom and when one went, I didn't know what size it was and got the wrong size, but so far it's okay, a little brighter than the rest, but I like bright.
@PatZAnthony (11766)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
We do have several types, just in case. The fluorescent in our basement does the job, so we are happy with it.
I haven't been in the basement in a while - I think they are all fluorescent LOL!