September Started and Summer Seems Over

The Japanese Maple is turning yellow - Photo by LadyDuck
Switzerland
We had a thunderstorm with torrential rain during the early hours of the day and the temperature has dropped. The many leaves left on the ground after the rain, announce that summer is almost over. Facts about September: The Gemstone of this month is the Sapphire, the flower the Morning Glory. September, has the largest full moon of the year and it's called "harvest moon". On this day of September in the past in 1905 Alberta & Saskatchewan become 8th & 9th Canadian provinces in 1939 Switzerland proclaims neutrality How is going your first day of September?
I just got up not long ago because it's 9:30am here. Hopefully it will be a good day! Enjoy yours. =)
I am glad that the heat is over, may be we will rest better during the night from now on.
@LadyDuck I'm glad it's cooler where you live, wish it was here! I can't wait for the cooler weather to get here.
@LovingMyBabies September is one of my favorite month, we still have sunny days, but cooler than July and August.
@vandana7 (57528)
It was bad. Started with no net...just when I thought I should increase my target..sigh.
This is too bad, for a moment I thought we were going to have a power cut due to the thunderstorm, but it was not the case.
@vandana7 (57528)
@LadyDuck .. Its ok...there was a major break down..
@vandana7 I am glad it's fine now.
@CoralLevang (40951)
The colors of the small tree/bush are beautiful. You can tell that autumn is upon you. My first day of September was uneventful. I was exhausted from yesterday's day going through more things to sort, and then my friend and I went to listen to a concert with a local Latin jazz band. So, today, I was in a quieter mood. I did buy flowers, and some new towels, and a couple of other things.
We had an incredibly cold start of September, I hope it will warm up again before Autumn officially starts. I do not like hot weather, but now it's too cold for the season. The leaves from the bigger trees are already falling.
@CoralLevang (40951)
@LadyDuck we are going to have highs this weekend and into the beginning of our week in the low 90s Fahrenheit
@CoralLevang We only have 55 F right now, it is raining and the wind blows. I had to wear a sweater.
September seems like the first day of Summer again! This past week we've been experiencing heat waves close to 100 degree weather!
We had a heat wave from August 27 until the last day of August. It seems that the weather has noticed that the month had changed.
@LadyDuck Glad the weather is changing better for you there though! Today it rained occasionally throughout the afternoon/evening after being so hot
@infatuatedbby I like the actual temperature, the heat is over and we still have sunny days.
The day just started.I finish my playing tennis.Back home and doing a few things here.
It is a cool day, but pleasant, usually September is a good month for outdoor activities.
@LadyDuck we got down in the forties last night and early morning.That is cold
@amadeo Same here Alfredo, last night I had to get up and close the windows, it was chilly outside.
@MarymargII (8370)
• Toronto, Ontario
I will love that Harvest Moon and hope I don't miss it- I know it's supposed to appear larger looking than regular moons as it's closer.
This year it will be in October, the 5th of October, I hope to have a clear sky.
• Toronto, Ontario
@LadyDuck that's odd it's usually in September?? I will look for it though in October- it should be hard to miss---lol!
@MarymargII It's "ALMOST" always in September but it also happened in the past that it was in October.
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
My first day of September has been so very busy. I love a Sapphire. I hope all is well with you, Anna. :)
I also love the Sapphire. It's cold here, even too cold for Autumn, I did not like the heat wave, but now it's too cold for the season. Weird weather.
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@LadyDuck , yes, it is very worrying when the weather goes from one extreme to another so soon. We have good taste with that Sapphire. :)
@bluesa The Sapphire has a beautiful shade of blue. We went from too hot to almost cold in two days. It's crazy.
We are still in Summer mode even if the temperature has dropped considerably; the leaves are still very much intact so I am still anticipating some more of the hot humid days before we see snowfall or Autumn chills
Today is chilly, September is usually a warm month but this year it has started a lot cooler than usual. We are going to have more warm days before Autumn officially comes.
@LadyDuck a little of the same here as the first day of September came meek and quiet with a coolness that chilled and yet later today after the sun rises, we shall feel the 85 mark again . . . so I know too summer is not quite yet over
@enlightenedpsych2 Even this morning is cold, but we should have a sunny week, it's too early for the cold.
@DeborahDiane (16243)
• Laguna Woods, California
@LadyDuck - Summer seems over here in California, too. I am enjoying the slightly cooler weather, though!
Summer is surely over, I hope that Autumn will stay for long weeks. I hate the idea of winter and snow.
• Laguna Woods, California
@LadyDuck - We don't get a very severe winter here, but I grew up in the central U.S., in Missouri, and we did have cold weather and snow there. I am glad I don't experience much cold weather anymore.
@DeborahDiane We almost had no winter when we lived in Monte-Carlo, here we have snow and it can be pretty cold.
@fishtiger58 (30715)
• Momence, Illinois
Good morning Anna, I hope all is well with you. Good to see you. It's chilly here this morning. We have leaves falling too, the older I get the faster it goes.
Good morning to you, I am happy to see you back. It was chilly here too in the morning, now it's warmer, but another storm is preparing.
@fishtiger58 (30715)
• Momence, Illinois
@LadyDuck Thanks, I had intended to take some time off myLot this summer and then had an accident that really prevented me from being here but all is well. I think soon we are going to get some storms as Hurricane Harvey makes it's way north.
@fishtiger58 Harvey is a powerful and dangerous storm, I hope you are safe in your area.
The first day of September was a holiday here in respect to Islam's Edl Adha (I don't know if the spelling is correct) . I spent it at home and cooked lunch. The in-laws were happy I cooked. At least, it's different from the helper's cooking throughout the whole week.
I cook all the time, helpers are as expensive as an employee in this country. If you are not a millionaire you cannot afford maids and helpers.
@LadyDuck Indeed, in other countries, it is so expensive to have a helper. Here it is not much. But we treat our helpers as family members and gave them free soaps and personal kits.
@SIMPLYD They do not care here to have free things, they only care about money.
@poehere (17895)
• French Polynesia
Wow such a beautiful picture and love the change of colors. I guess that is one thing I miss here on the islands. We don't have fall colors. We always have bright and beautiful colors that surround us year round. The first day of September doesn't bring much change here. We are still having rain and winds. Normally they come in spurts. It can last 3 days, 6 days or 9 days. Looks like we are in for a 9 day storm this time.
The storm has brought chilly temperatures, I see the snow on the mountains already and I hope we are not going to have a premature start of Autumn.
@poehere (17895)
• French Polynesia
@LadyDuck That is amazing already snowing where you live. That must make it cold for you. I am not sure I could live in the snow. A few days is all I can handle.
@poehere No, it's not snowing where I live, it's snowing up in the mountain around the area where we live. It's 14 degrees Celsius this morning, it's not cold yet.
@Shellyann36 (8598)
Your little tree looks beautiful! I am so ready for Fall! I love the season. If only we did not have to worry about losing daylight.
The only thing I dislike is the short days and the fact we get up that it's still dark outside, but I like cooler temperatures.
@LadyDuck Yes, the kids will be getting off of the bus and it will already be getting dark in the later months. I am not looking forward to that!
@Shellyann36 It's dark in the morning at 6 when I wake up and I noticed it was dark yesterday evening when we sit down to have dinner, I think it was not even 8 pm.
@WriterAI (3826)
• Bulgaria
September has just begun. Summer is still here. We enjoy pleasant sunny weather.
It is so cold here today, only 13 degrees Celsius, I hope it's not a premature start of Autumn.
@WriterAI (3826)
• Bulgaria
@LadyDuck It is 25 Celsius here. Rain is expected today. Enjoy your day!
@WriterAI It's 18 Celsius right now, sunny with a blue sky. Have a beautiful Sunday.
@shshiju (9323)
• Cochin, India
There is a change in raining and sun shines more brightly. Our favorite festival Onam comes in this month.
There are many celebrations during September, this is usually a good month, still sunny bur no more hot.
@shshiju (9323)
• Cochin, India
@LadyDuck Yes . It is the perfect season. Many clubs are conducting Onam celebrations this month.
@shshiju Usually September is a nice month, not too hot, but not yet cold.
• Midland, Michigan
I knew the harvest moon was in Sept, but I didn't realize it's the largest moon. I don't remember much about the first day of the month, but I know that the first couple of weeks got quite cold so that even my husband was complaining he was cold. Then we got another heat wave into the nineties with a heat index a couple of the days into the hundreds. The temps are beginning to come down again, but some days will get warmer than others or so it shows anyway.
This year the Harvest Moon is the 5th of October, it is the closest to the Autumnal Equinox. I hope to have a clear sky to look at the moon.
• Midland, Michigan
@LadyDuck Thanks, I'll have to keep that in mind. I might have to check what time it will be out. I'm working the night shift again most of this coming week starting tomorrow. I would have to see whether I can poke my head outside of work a few moments at the proper time to have a look and maybe get a picture if the sky is clear, but I will probably forget. I just checked out the Farmer's Almanac online and it will be at 2:41pm in our time zone. That will be somewhat around the time of my lunch, maybe I can put a reminder on my phone or something. Thanks, Anna for the info. My daughter just pointed out to me that that will be in the afternoon, not the night. I double-checked and that is correct. So we may not see it well if the sky is clear, or it won't pop like it would otherwise. *( I really have no clue as I don't know that I've caught it before).
@MarshaMusselman I have checked, it will be at 8:40 PM here, it's a perfect time, because now the sky is dark around 7 PM.
@PainsOnSlate (19253)
Not much on the first day but my birthday just passed and my 50th Anniversary is very close. I've always enjoyed September but with sadness that summer is over.
Belated Happy Birthday. I am not a fan of Summer, my favorite seasons are Spring and Autumn.
@LadyDuck I like spring and fall too but here in Canada and upstate NY summer is rarely too hot to handle.
@PainsOnSlate It has never been too hot here in Switzerland in the past, but this is the second year we have a couple of heat waves with too high temperatures. Global warming I suppose.
@thelme55 (11962)
I was working on the 1st day of Sept. I am glad my workmate comes home from her vacation in Thailand as I only have to work for 2 days this week.
I was surprised by the drop in temperature, but even happy. The last week of August has been far too hot.
@thelme55 (11962)
@LadyDuck Really? Not in my neck of the woods.
@thelme55 I have heard that you had a "cool" August. We had three heat waves and the temperature reached 36 degrees Celsius, never seen before here.
@1hopefulman (20467)
Thanks for the Canadian history lesson! It is a beautiful sunny day and I was so glad to out to enjoy it. For the next two days Hurricane Harvey will be visiting us but it should not cause any harm as it is now very weak and we will probably just get some rain. The nights are getting cooler and I had to use a comforter to be comfortable during the last couple of nights.
It's a beautiful sunny day, pretty cold, but pleasant. Last night I needed a blanket to sleep.
@1hopefulman (20467)
@LadyDuck Today, here too, it is cold and rainy. Brrrrrr!!!
@1hopefulman Autumn is quickly coming in.
• Preston, England
the weather improved here today after a very wet August @LadyDuck
The last 4 days of August were extremely hot, too much hot, the thunderstorms came early in the morning of September 1st, it's almost cold now.
• Preston, England
@LadyDuck it has gone cold here again today after such a nice day yesterday
@arthurchappell It's a weird weather, this is the time you easily get a cold.