I Learned My Lesson Well

@poehere (17680)
French Polynesia
When I was small and was home sick, my dad knew I refused to eat. So he would come in from work and make me cream potato soup with corn and bacon in it. He was sure I would eat this. As I grew up I would stand and watch my dad prepare this soup. It was so easy to make and he had it done in about 30 minutes or so. Today it is cold and my girlfriend comes here before work. I wanted something hot, quick and easy to make so we could eat together before she had to go to work. I decided to make potato soup for us to eat. This was the first time she had ever tasted potato soup and fell in love. I learned my lesson well from my dad and I can make it just like him. I love potato soup on cold, rainy days. It really warms you on the inside and makes you feel so good. What did your dad teach you how to make when you were younger? Do you have any favorite foods that he cooked for you growing up?
My dad could not boil water! I began to cook after mom did when I was 12, I am the cook of the family.
@poehere (17680)
• French Polynesia
If I wanted to survive in my home I had to learn quickly to cook. My mom was terrible and my dad wasn't always around. I learned how to cook when I was 8.
@YrNemo (14184)
My father was never into cooking. He told me how to tidy up the room and folding clothes however.
@poehere (17680)
• French Polynesia
That one is funny. My dad was an only child and his mom thought it was important he knew how to do eevrything. So he learned how to cook along with so many of his other skills.
@YrNemo (14184)
@poehere Who did the cooking in your family, did it mean your mother cooked less than your father? My mother didn't like cooking either, but she was the main cook out of love for my father.
@poehere (17680)
• French Polynesia
@YrNemo My father and I did most of the cooking in our home. I started cooking when I was 8. When my dad was away, I would cook for the family. Now and then my mom would cook as long as it was something that she knew how to cook well.
I love potato soup too. That looks really good. My dad taught me how to drink out of pop bottle when I was really young. I remember that.
@poehere (17680)
• French Polynesia
Now that one is really funny. My grandpa taught me that when I was young. He also taught me how to burp after finishing the bottle. We could do that in the garage, but not in the house.
@poehere ......Yes, that too. I used to walk on his boots and we'd dance.
@poehere (17680)
• French Polynesia
@celticeagle I remember doing that with my dad and grandpa. That was so much fun.
@TheSojourner (17310)
He didn't teach us any foods that I remember. But I remember him eating cottage cheese and sliced tomatoes, all sprinkled with sugar.
@poehere (17680)
• French Polynesia
I saw my dad eating this with salt and pepper. I never heard of anyone eating this with sugar before.
@poehere Oh, salt and pepper if a salad. Sugar, if for dessert.
@poehere I don't like it. Give me tomatoes with lots of black pepper....LOL
@maggs224 (1708)
• Alicante, Spain
Oh my goodness that looks delicious, any chance you doing a post with the recipe and a little guidance for those of us that are not used to making this ?
@poehere (17680)
• French Polynesia
Actually, it is the easiest soup in the world to make. All you need is potatoes, a can of cream corn, and some fried bacon. Peel and cut your potatoes, put them in a pot with enough water to cover them. Set it on the stove and boil them until they are done. While its cooking, add a few bouillon cubes, some crushed basil and pepper. Let it cook. In the meantime, cut up your bacon and fry it up. When the potatoes are done, use a potato masher and mash them up in the water. Add your can of cream corn and bacon. Cook for a few minutes and serve. Easiest soup in the world to make and it taste so good. Adjust the salt and pepper to your liking. I normally don't add salt to mine just some pepper.
@maggs224 (1708)
• Alicante, Spain
@poehere I have not seen cream corn here can I use sweet corn will that work?
@poehere (17680)
• French Polynesia
@maggs224 Yes, it will work just fine. Today they didn't have cream corn in our market so I just bought a can of corn and used it. No problem at all. My girlfriend loved the soup and she took a giant container of it to work with her. She said she is going to eat it tonight for dinner. Sunday I am invited to go with her to have Sunday lunch with her family. She wants me to make the soup for her grandma and for her of course. She said grandma would love my soup. So will make a pot for Sunday to have with lunch.
I love potato soup. My dad did not cook, my mother did, but I have learned more from my grandmother, I used to spend my vacations with her and I had more time to learn.
@poehere (17680)
• French Polynesia
I too love potato soup. I use to help my dad cook. I did learn a lot from my two grandmothers about cooking. My mom was a horrible cook and I learned nothing from her at all.
@poehere Also my Mom was not a good cook, but my father went out at 7 in the morning to work and he came back at 7 in the afternoon, he never had time to cook.
@poehere (17680)
• French Polynesia
@LadyDuck I learned to cook in order to survive at home. My dad had to work long hours also and many times the food was so bad nobody would eat. I started to cook when I was 8.
@ilocosboy (35568)
That was such a very amazing moment with your dad, its so happen my Papa did not cook for me when I was small
@poehere (17680)
• French Polynesia
My dad was a great cook when he had time. As I grew up I did most of the cooking in our home. My mother wasn't much of a cook at all.
@ilocosboy (35568)
@poehere i wanted to be a good cook too
@poehere (17680)
• French Polynesia
@ilocosboy What are you saying, you're not a good cook. Cooking is rather simple and easy. just watch how others do it and follow what they do. You will get the hang of it really fast.
It is so good to cook and I also love cooking.That is so nice that you both enjoy it.
@poehere (17680)
• French Polynesia
Thank you so much. Here the people on the islands can cook, but it is mostly the same things all the time. They don't know how to try something different. With me I lived in so many places I learned to cook many things. So when I cook everyone comes running. It is so funny.
@hereandthere (32431)
i never knew my father could cook until he retired.
@poehere (17680)
• French Polynesia
That is so funny. Many fathers leave the kitchen to their wives. My dad couldn't do that because my mom could only cook a few things and if it was up to her that is all we would ever of eaten. So my dad stepped in and did a lot of the cooking.
@Freelanzer (9504)
Such a great lesson to learn from your dad and something you can pass on and share. My dd liked to cook and he cooked a lot of greens which I love to this day.
@poehere (17680)
• French Polynesia
That sound delicious. I sure hope you learned from you DD and can do the same. My mom was a terrible cook so it was my dad and I who did most of the cooking in our home.
@Morleyhunt (20260)
My mother was the one who did the cooking. She wasn't a great cook. She took too many shortcuts and substitutions. I learned to follow the recipe and be care when you take short cuts.
@poehere (17680)
• French Polynesia
I learned how to cook by watching others. I have never been one to follow recipes when I cook. It seems there is a lot of stuff in them that I don't like or I can't eat. My mother was a horrible cook and I did most of the cooking in our home starting at the age of 8.
@averygirl72 (16620)
I love this recipe you make. I think we made one like this a few months ago
@poehere (17680)
• French Polynesia
It is very simple to make and you have soup in 30 minutes. This is perfect when you are in a hurry or need something hot and warm to eat for dinner on a cold night.
I love potato soup my dad was a great cook and coincidentally he also made a delicious potato soup.
@poehere (17680)
• French Polynesia
I am so happy that my dad wasn't the only one. I am glad that you had a dad that loved to cook and he made you potato soup. When I was sick this was the only thing I would eat. I have no idea why, but it is all I wanted and my dad made it for me almost every night.
@poehere you had sweet and loving father.
@poehere (17680)
• French Polynesia
@Tampa_girl7 He sure was. Everyone loved him so much. He was so jolly and when he laughted everyone called him Santa.
@rosedust82 (2074)
My dad made these really good sausages from scratch and they tasted better than the ones they sell at McDonalds. He puts in a lot of spices and mixes the ground pork by hand. We'd make them into small patties and freeze until we wanted to eat them. They have to be the best ones I've ever tasted anywhere. I'm 35 now and I still haven't tasted anything quite like it. He left me the recipe and I've tried it a few times. Spices are a bit expensive but really worth it.
@poehere (17680)
• French Polynesia
I am so happy you have such fond memories of your dad. it was good that he left you the recipe so you could make your own homemade sausage patties.
@kobesbuddy (52467)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@poehere My father made some awesome oatmeal, with butter and brown sugar over the top. Was he a great cook? No, but I did love this oatmeal that he made:)
@poehere (17680)
• French Polynesia
It is so wonderful to remember the special things our father's did for us when we were small. My dad was a good cook and he made a lot of different things to eat.