How to keep from buying things!

Japan
Things you don't need, that is. 1. Pretend like the store is a museum. "Oh, how pretty!" But you can't buy it because it's in a museum! 2. Look at something you really like. "Wow, that looks really nice." Look at the price. "It can just keep on looking nice right where it is." 3. What do I have that serves the same purpose just as well? 4. How much storage space would this take? Where would I put it? Would it be in the way? 5. How hard would it be to throw away? (In Japan we have to pay for certain non-burnable trash, which only goes out every two weeks and you have to go to city office to pay and schedule the pickup time.) I hope these questions that I ask myself will help you, too, if you need to apply some self-control to your shopping trips!
@sishy7 (26604)
I like these tips! Without realizing, I've been doing this - I mean, my sister tells me I think too much when I buy something... which I do, there are a lot of considerations going on in my mind when I look at something I don't need and most of the time I end up not buying it. Clothes for example - price, size, color, style, material, practicality, and storage space - all of those have to be checked 'yes' before I even consider buying it...
• Japan
Great minds think alike.
• Lakewood, Colorado
These are excellent Denise! I do not buy anything these days.
Another one I use at sales is 'I could save 20% (or whatever) if I buy this but if I don't buy it at all I'll save 100%'. Works for me - mostly!
I do the same. I usually judge purchases by thinking "Is it a want or a need?" If it is not a need, I do not buy it. Thank you for the great tips!!!
• Nairobi, Kenya
Nice posts. I had a problem of buying things I don't need but now I will try telling myself those points and see if I will improve :). Thanks
@mandala100 (25002)
@petatonicsca Thank you for this valuable and practicable tips my friend.
@iridion9 (2307)
Another thing is you need to increase your CASH FLOW. Think some idea to add up your current earnings. start a new small business or get a second job. but a small business will do while you hav a regular job.
@iridion9 (2307)
Just buy needs not wants.