FRUGAL DINNERS: Going Vegetarian (again) tonight

@CoralLevang (37324)
Many here at myLot tell me that... they like the way I "throw things together with what I have on hand," when it comes to cooking. However, they also tell me that, because they are vegetarian or vegan, they could not eat the food that I cook. I do not eat meat daily. In fact, there are many times that I eat vegetarian or vegan meals. What some do not know is that I was 95% vegan/vegetarian for nearly three years of my life, when I was in my early 20s. I did it as a way to show the doctors that what they said was a source of high cholesterol was inaccurate. So, I learned a lot in those days about food combining, and different flavors in an America where being vegan/vegetarian was synonymous with either "hippie" or "weirdo." I did not consider myself either, and I had a young daughter to feed and wanted to make sure that she was getting the nutrition she needed, as well. Nowadays, I have to be very mindful about what I eat or cannot eat, based on how my body will process certain foods, and the food triggers that exacerbate the symptoms and health issues I have. When it comes to Frugal Cooking... I like to use what I have on hand, and come up with concoctions that most people who are cookbook recipe purists would never consider. But I understand flavors, having always been drawn to cultural foods, and I see the similarities and differences from one to another. I try to limit the amount of processed foods, which I do a fairly good job of doing. Maybe one culture would not use certain ingredients that I have readily available to me, but who says it will not work? I am the one that will experiment, and hope for the best. Tonight's ingredients... Olive oil, onion, garlic, ginger paste, yellow and red bell pepper, mushrooms, broccoli, turnip greens, curry paste, raisins, unsweetened coconut, water, and salt. This will be served on top of basmati rice, and topped with chopped, dry-roasted almonds for more texture and to up protein level. The iron skillet is full, and the cost of all the food, which will probably be three or four ample servings, was very low in cost, considering the amounts that I used. My best estimate is that the whole meal had a cost of not more than two dollars! That will work out to 50 to 70 cents per serving. My rice should be done shortly, so I am going head to the kitchen to get it all together! I hope that this post has endeared some of my vegetarian and vegan friends to me. I would love to be able to share all of this with you at the dining table! What healthy foods did you eat today that did not include meat or processed foods?
Do vegetarians eat fish?
I do
@CoralLevang (37324)
Some do, so they call them pescatarians
That's a new one @CoralLevang I'm an omnivore.
@FourWalls (8945)
I've lost 20 pounds over the summer, and I think the way this blessing has come my way is due to the fact that every day I have at least one meal that is nothing but a salad (and by "salad," I mean at least half, if not an entire, head of lettuce and one or two tomatoes [depending on the size of the tomato]). It was lettuce and tomato salad for dinner tonight!
@RubyHawk (20911)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I'm s frugal cook and I cook whatever I find in the frige and pantry, we're also vegetarian. We do eat dairy and eggs but eat no flesh. I have recipe books But hardly ever use them. I like food cooked simply.
@CoralLevang (37324)
Simple is certainly a relative experience. How long have you been a vegetarian, Ruby?
@RubyHawk (20911)
• Atlanta, Georgia
About 14 years and I haven't missed a thing. @CoralLevang
@CoralLevang (37324)
@RubyHawk Was it a gradual change for you or did you do it "cold turkey"? (No pun intended)
@Platespinner (17587)
I never eat meat or processed foods...or anything else for that matter.
@CoralLevang (37324)
I need a kid like you. LOL
@CoralLevang I'm very economical!
@CoralLevang (37324)
@Platespinner and for the most part you don't talk. I just have to keep the computer away from you sometimes!
Looks like you have gone green. I would assume an ice cream cone doesn't count as a healthy food.
@CoralLevang (37324)
I think ice cream is a food group all in and of itself
• Lakewood, Colorado
Looks good Coral..today I treated myself to some organic vanilla bean ice cream just for me haha Other than that yes, all veggies for me too..I always add the B12 in though with the dried yeast I get. I do also eat fish occasionally and eggs.
@CoralLevang (37324)
Thanks for that reminder. I need to remember to use it when I am not eating meat.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@CoralLevang Yes I am not liking the leg aches I get when I dont eat enough protein.
@CoralLevang (37324)
@TiarasOceanView Leg aches=not enough protein? You just may have solved a problem I have had for several years.
@DaddyEvil (21242)
Uhm... I had a bowl of watermelon for break time today with a glass of water. Otherwise everything I ate was processed. Edit to add: I like the new profile picture.
@CoralLevang (37324)
Thank you. The photograph is From the other night.
@DaddyEvil (21242)
@CoralLevang You're very welcome! (You already know that, right? )
@mandala100 (24198)
@CoralLevang I eat banana and oranges today my friend. The food in the picture looks so yummy my friend.
@CoralLevang (37324)
thanks
@mandala100 (24198)
@CoralLevang You're welcome my friend.
Watermelon and grapes were my two snacks. Dinner was Shrimp. I was actually a veg head for a couple years too, to get my cholesterol down and it worked.I am trying my best to get back to vegs only agan.
@CoralLevang (37324)
Well, it did not work for me and I was tired of them blaming me for all of my ills without looking at my family's history. I went completely vegan and it changed my numbers by about 20 points only was kind of crazy.
@responsiveme (13193)
I do so love your food posts. I like the idea of the 1 dish meal....Here it's always 3 to 4 things per meal...Like rice and dal and then veggies. When I stay alone that seems more work than necessary so I do like the way you combine and make a balanced meal As you say its a cultural thing so in small towns not much processed food but the opposite in cities and work young people
@CoralLevang (37324)
I love being able to make different foods that people enjoy, but I also like the ease of the one pot meal. And then serve that over rice or a baked potato or whatever else you want. That's what makes sense to me. And you can always have a side dish of a salad raw vegetables. I use a lot of Curry flavors. I have enjoyed the flavor of those spices whether it be in Indian food, Thai, Japanese, and others that use Curry flavors. I tend to appreciate more of the Indian flavoring than I do some of the others, but I also like the incorporation of coconut milk with curry. The Indian curries that I have eaten don't use the coconut. That's more of the Thai cooking that I have had that. So, when I cook, I don't think there's any one type of food I make, but it's probably a combination of many!
@CoralLevang coconut is widely used in South Indian recipes.look up Kerala cuisine
@CoralLevang (37324)
@responsiveme that certainly makes sense! So, do all of the different areas in India have their own very distinctive flavors or is there a lot of crossover from region to region?
If I eat healthy its an accident. We had teriyaki shrimp and rice.
@CoralLevang (37324)
You are fortunate that you don't have the issues that require someone to make those necessary changes.
@CoralLevang The list of foods I can eat is short so I am not all that lucky.
@CoralLevang (37324)
@AbbyGreenhill Ah, I understand. I'm so sorry that is what you have to do.
We had no meat yesterday, I made stuffed bell peppers for dinner, the stuffing was bread pecorino cheese and herbs. We eat very little meat, more fish than meat.
@CoralLevang (37324)
My mother used to make a rice stuffed pepper. I really enjoyed that.
@CoralLevang Rice stuffed peppers are also good.
@CoralLevang (37324)
@LadyDuck I loved my mother's peppers.... I don't know if @sonjarae also ate those. I think Mom started cooking differently after I left home.
@SonjaRae (5797)
I only ate once yesterday so I plated some Green beans, a half of an avocado, sliced tomatoes and beans!
@CoralLevang (37324)
Other than the green beans, everything sounds great
@SonjaRae (5797)
I'm like two days behind, but we had eggs and potatoes tonight.
@CoralLevang (37324)
*laughs* I can't keep up with anything lately! Sounds good, Scott!
@bluesa (10734)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
That looks so tasty and with all that colour and herbs and veg so healthy. I had a fruit salad made with grapes, strawberries, apples and blueberries for a bit of health.
@CoralLevang (37324)
Thank you! I fruit salad sounds really good right now. I should probably raid my refrigerator and see what I can pull together.