Loving an Addict - The hard decision

Mesa, Arizona
Last night my husband and I got into a huge fight. It all started in the morning when I was getting ready for work. He had just gotten home and was complaining about his back and neck hurting. Usually I would stop and what I was doing and rub his neck and shoulders and back, but this time I took some time to play with our kids before finishing getting ready for work. He got angry because I "Shut him away in the room" Well, he gets so angry when he hears a lot of noise right now, so thats why I had shut the door....when he dropped me off at work he took to go find a way to get more drugs since he had already spent all our money and I am quitting my job to be home with the kids. (We live with his family so the kids were fine) When he picked me up he didn't say Hi to me, just kept listening to his music, and I had forgotten to take my pain killers and anxiety med so he knew that I was having a hard day. But when I told him I feel very sad, and wasn't sure why, he offered to help me. But after I got the kids to bed, we just laid there in silence watching a movie in our room. He gave me no sign of affection. He got angry because he said he needed it from me. Well we wound up fighting about how much I do for him and when I do something else and he needs me in the moment I'm not there, he goes to get high. The fight eventually got so bad, that I was trying to make cigarettes with a steel packer and sliced my hand open. It wasn't bad, but seeing my blood triggered him to realize that he needed to make the decision to stop. He isn't sure about rehab yet but he is blocking everyone who he got drugs from and I am going to ask him to give me the car keys to prevent him from going anywhere. It's been a very rough journey, but I told him that I refuse to give up on him and that I know he is strong enough to push through those moments. Wish us luck on the next stage of our journey!!!!
I wish yout all the best. It is hard to live life with an addict. I really hope that he gets the help that he needs. It is hard to do it alone. You need to do what is best for you and your children,
• Mesa, Arizona
I've done it alone before. But we already have a back up plan. He's got 2 weeks to figure it out or he has to go to rehab or leave the house per his mom. The kids and I will stay with his family, but he won't be allowed back until he can stay clean.
@TraciDavis I think that is a great idea. Tough love can be difficult but sometimes it is necessary. I hope he gets the help he needs so you can be a happy family and move forward with your lives.
• Mesa, Arizona
@Happy2BeMe Thanks. I hope so too. So far he's been making all the right choices, and I have hope that this time it will stick.
• Nairobi, Kenya
That is extremely sad and reading this just brought tears to my eyes. Pray for your husband because if he can turn to God then your family will be a happy one. I wish you good luck and may God bless your home.
@iridion9 (10003)
Mmmm no comment.
Personally, I wouldn't deal with that. But I wish you luck in the future.
@SonjaRae (4802)
I know you will make the best decision for yourself. It is never easy.
Luck! I hope he goes to rehab.
I hope things work out for you. That is a hard life to live.
I hope he gets the help he needs so he can be a good dad and husband to you. It is possible to overcome with hard work and determination. My husband was addicted to pain pills for a bit but he overcame that addiction when I left him for a bit. It took me and our kids leaving to wake him up.