The One Upper! So Annoying!

@SonjaRae (5638)
Those individuals who have done, seen, lived and experienced everything and or done it better than you! My daughter would call it a peeing contest! Some have actually shown me that there is nothing they haven't done or know about. I find this so prevalent today whether face to face, or on the internet. "My father was a guitar player!", oh really? "My relative (insert herein) conducted the band your father played for!" Who really cares? All I was doing or do is sharing my experiences, it isn't a darned competition! I have to wonder if they fabricate their stories or if lives really parallel mine?
You think YOU can write a discussion about that, you should see how *I* can do it!
ROFLMAO! Thank for that laugh.
@SonjaRae (5638)
SHOW ME, SHOW ME PLEASE!!!
@CoralLevang (34409)
Lol...JJ you really are a nut! Which is one of the reasons I love you so.
Well I think every family has someone who plays the guitar But I know what you mean. Its just chatting not who has more or done more.
@SonjaRae (5638)
But I bet if I was to talk about having irritable bowel syndrome and diarrhea or flatulence I somehow highly suspect that that's where they would draw the line!
@SonjaRae Nope, I got stories that could " blow" you away
@SonjaRae (5638)
@andriaperry OMG...We should start an unthinkable discussion and see how many people would "air ther dirty laundry"! Haha
So your sister is Coral. Well, my sister (if I had one) is Pearl!
@SonjaRae (5638)
HAHA. Well I have a brother too, his name is Mark, but if I didn't have one, I would and I will give him the alias name John! You know it's strange John that I know that we all have things in our lives that parallel or one person has one experience and someone else has another experience similar to mine but lately I have come across more people that have seen it, saw it first or before I did or have done it better. I just have to wonder sometimes.
@SonjaRae Didn't I say this already! I have upgraded sister Pearl to Opal.
@SonjaRae (5638)
@JohnRoberts Did you? Hmm...Guess I wasn't paying attention!
Some care, many don't. It is a new and different world than the one I remember when I was young.
@SonjaRae (5638)
Most definitely! As I've gotten older I now understand what my mom used to be talking about back in the day
@SonjaRae ......Mom's knew what they were talking about.
@SonjaRae (5638)
@celticeagle Precisely!!
Sounds like kindergarten banter. I stop talking around people who try to get one up on me. If they press the issue and insist, I walk away or turn a deaf ear.
@SonjaRae (5638)
I avoid it at all costs however there are times when the circumstances do not allow for it. I just tend to be an observer and have noticed this behavior type
@CoralLevang (34409)
It's not always face to face and within earshot. Sometimes it's here on the internet. Social media is rife with that kind of stuff!
@SonjaRae (5638)
@CoralLevang Who is Rife? I don't think I've met them yet! LOL
@poehere (15721)
• French Polynesia
My BF works with a guy like this and we call him Mr Know-it-all. I can't stand people like this and stay away from them when I come in contact with them. I am not in a competition to show who is smarter, who has done, more, or who is better at making up stories. You are right to call this a pissing contest. I think my grandma use to call it the same and I would laugh so hard.
@SonjaRae (5638)
Glad you know what I am talking about! My daughter got it from her Grandma as well!!!
@poehere (15721)
• French Polynesia
@SonjaRae Grandma was right, she use to tell these people, there's no need for a pissing contest. I would laugh so hard.
@SonjaRae (5638)
@poehere I love it she sounds a lot like my mom
@irishidid (8116)
I know the type and they are annoying! No matter what you tell them, they can always top it. Yes, I do believe they are lying!
@SonjaRae (5638)
To each their own I suppose
@CoralLevang (34409)
And the internet has made everyone an expert! I suppose that means people can now read again?
@SonjaRae (5638)
@CoralLevang or plagiarize by copying and pasting
• Lakewood, Colorado
It is most annoying.
@SonjaRae (5638)
Like I responded to Andria, I highly doubt that if I had irritable bowel syndrome or was experiencing diarrhea and flatulence that they wouldn't try to one up me there
• Lakewood, Colorado
@CoralLevang (34409)
@SonjaRae I bet you my flatulence and diarrhea is worse than yours!! It just doesn't have a good ring to it, you know? But if somebody wants to try and one-up you on that one? I say let him do it and then laugh your behind off!
Yeah that can be frustrating. People do experience similar things but life isn't a competition.
@SonjaRae (5638)
And just sharing things it's not meant to be a competition either it's a way of getting to know one another.
@CoralLevang (34409)
Oh stop it, Jennifer! I had more babies than you did! Oh, wait a second. No I didn't. Whoops! Haha
@SonjaRae (5638)
@CoralLevang Here we go!
Ugh, my Aunt is like this. Really annoying. Although, I do know some who do it not as competition but to add more to the conversation.
@SonjaRae (5638)
You know it's easy to tell with certain people when they are just engaging in the conversation and you are sharing stories. But it is obvious when certain people chime in constantly and it's always bigger,better, faster, worse, or more expensive etc.
@SonjaRae i guess so
@velvet53 (14965)
• Palisade, Colorado
It is like they want people to think that they are super great. It gets them no where with me.
@SonjaRae (5638)
Nor with me.
@velvet53 (14965)
• Palisade, Colorado
@SonjaRae They remind me of people that is always condemning what others do, always telling them what they should or shouldn't do. Those type of people need to be told to look in the mirror and clean up their own back yard before trying to clean up someone elses.
@SonjaRae (5638)
@velvet53 you just quoted something that I always say!
@DaddyEvil (20868)
Hmmm... you know, there is a way you MIGHT be able to find that out, Sonja... If the person has a social media account, then there is a very good chance they have mentioned (or more than mentioned) many things about themselves as well as their families. You could simply go read their discussions here to see if they have ever mentioned whatever it is before. If they aren't on myLot, then they probably have a Facebook account. You could check on them there. While that might not be 100% accurate as a way to see if they have had similar experiences to yours, that is the first thing I would try, if I was having a similar problem. *This is intended only as a suggestion. Suggestions/Advice from this source may not be as accurate as could be hoped. The author of this suggestion/advice cannot be held responsible if the suggestion/advice do not reveal all information pertaining to the individual(s) in question. *Legal disclaimer for myLot.com.
@SonjaRae (5638)
Very true. However when I look at it I have to become a Facebook stalker to see what these people's motives are? I'll just stick with venting on my lot! It pays.
@DaddyEvil (20868)
@SonjaRae Hmmm... so the drawbacks... make myLot worthwhile, huh? (grinning at you!)
@SonjaRae (5638)
@DaddyEvil Works in my favor, for sure!
Sometimes lives really do parallel each other, but mostly it's the my dad is bigger and better than your dad, syndrome.
@SonjaRae (5638)
Ha so true!
@SonjaRae (5638)
Ha so true!
There are many who fabricate their stories and they are soooo annoying. Those who are so rich that they can change their cars three times a year. Those who have the most intelligent kids, real geniuses. Those who have seen all the countries around the world... the most they write, the least is possible that the story is true.
@SonjaRae (5638)
So you know these kinds of people too Anna? Amazing isn't it?
@SonjaRae Yes, unfortunately I know these kinds of people, amazing and annoying.
@SonjaRae (5638)
@LadyDuck The funny part Anna is I think these people are clueless as to what others think about them or how they are perceived.
HAHA I worked with this guy who said he had a Neon (car) with 700 horsepower! He was one of those people that you could tell that you won the lottery.. and he'd say that he already won it twice. So one day I decided to go up to him and say "Hey...I heard that you started your own soda company!" He gave me a confused look and asked what the heck I was talking about.. I left a short pause in the conversation for suspense and then responded with "Yeah I heard it's a knock off of 7up..." he was still confused so I finally spelled it out for him...
@SonjaRae (5638)
Oh my goodness that is hysterical! Love it.
@SonjaRae Glad I was able to get a laugh out of you!
@SonjaRae (5638)
@Mr_Anomaly And it was appreciated too! Thanks for sharing your experience!
@pjmurphy (97)
I like your daughter's term. Use it frequently myself.
@SonjaRae (5638)
LOL. She has a few others, but I would not post them here! Haha
It's always nice to add to the story and have a good conversation but it's a fine line not to one up them!
@SonjaRae (5638)
And it's obvious when it's done, but I wonder if they "realize" how it appears to others?
I tend to see this sort of person as someone looking for attention. Probably some sort of social misfits.
@SonjaRae (5638)
Perfect description… Attention seekers!
@HazySue (15183)
I think sometimes they fantasize and then start believing their fantasies. It is indeed an annoying trait.
@SonjaRae (5638)
Living in a fantasy world of their own creation! Haha
@YrNemo (3705)
It is always hard talking to anyone like that. (The one you quoted above is quite funny! )
@SonjaRae (5638)
Glad you got a good laugh! Ha