No new car, thanks

Japan
My car is coming up for "sha-ken" or government-required inspection in October. It is very expensive and takes a couple of days. I really like my (old shabby) car because it drives well. My mechanic also sells used cars. He keeps telling me he is looking for a good bargain for me. I keep telling him that I want to keep my old car. He tells me that if I'm spending $1000 on sha-ken, I could be buying a different used car for $3000 so I would be saving money. (What????? I'm still saving $2000.) Do you have people who try to convince you to buy something because it's a "bargain"?
@poehere (17480)
• French Polynesia
Not really. However, that seems like a lot of money for an inspection. I have never heard of this one before. I hope you can pass the inspection and not spend this kind of money for nothing.
• Japan
This is normal in Japan. Mine is a small car so it is really cheaper than people who have vans or bigger cars. They want to make it difficult to own cars so we don't pollute the environment. We can usually take trains or busses if necessary.
@poehere (17480)
• French Polynesia
@petatonicsca I can understand this. I was in Japan several times and the transportation system there is top in the world.
• Denmark
All smart shop-assistants do that.
• Japan
And all smart car owners don't bite.
• Denmark
@petatonicsca I remember a friend of mine who considered buying new furniture. She wasn't really sure so the shop-assistant tried to convince her by stressing how much she would save if she bought a certain object. She asked me what she should do. I told her I'd go with her to the shop in order to help her say her piece. She told the shop-assistant to imagine how much she would save if she didn't buy anything at all. :-) The poor man was devastated. But he had insisted too much.
@holdoors (1250)
It usually happens when they are looking to earn commission.
• Japan
He works for himself so that is not it. I think he just wants to sell more used cars for his own business. But he looks out for us well, too. He's actually a really fair-priced mechanic.
• Lakewood, Colorado
I do not let anyone convince me of anything I do not want to buy.
@hereandthere (23238)
it can be annoying when others assume i need something, or when they can't understand why i never felt the need for it just because everyone has it.
@dodo19 (27793)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
Ultimately, it is your decision whether to get another car or not. It does seem like a lot of money for an inspection, but it's still your decision.
All mechanics try to sell used cars. If you like your car, keep it.
@JasperTore (1175)
First time that I have heard of this. I didn't have a car when I stayed in Japan so I have no idea about government inspection of private vehicles. Hope you pass the inspection to avoid additional expenses.