Living a Long Life

Riga, Latvia
I found this absolutely fascinating. Apparently scientist have discovered ways to know how long we’ll live. One of the things they say is the if one has a strong grip when it comes to handshaking this is an indication of not only confidence but also of longevity. Supposedly people with firm handshakes could have benefited from a happy childhood which included a healthy diet and plenty of exercise. Well first of all I do have a firm handshake and thanks to my parents I definitely had a happy childhood and plenty of exercise especially in the summertime in the Catskill Mountains of New York. Another sure sign of longevity is physical capability such as walking at a fast pace, getting out of a chair quickly and being able to balance on one leg. I can now picture you all standing on one leg. Well to that I have to say that as of this September I am walking briskly around my country roads here and with demanding Sid around I sure do get out of a chair quickly. As for that balancing on one leg I guess I’ll have to time myself. Now I would like to hear what you think?
I am going to stand on one leg now. Be right back! Done! Yes, I can stand on one leg for a long time. Whew!!! My dad is age 96, and doing well, and Mom lived to age 92. Another whew!!
• Riga, Latvia
Having parents that live so long is certainly a plus for you and most likely the main reason you'll live a good long life @Corbin5 of course everything helps a bit too so great that you could stand on one leg let's just not take those things too seriously. You are lucky to still have your dad around. Blessing to you.
• Riga, Latvia
@andriaperry for you I wish to follow in the footsteps of your granny.
• Lakewood, Colorado
I do not believe any of that really. I think there is much to consider regarding a long life..health being the main one.
• Riga, Latvia
Well one thing that must be true is that part of having a brisk walk because staying sedentary is not any good @TiarasOceanView so no matter what else they say I began my brisk walking today and will continue to do so every day so that I don't just wind us sitting by my PC. I really enjoyed my walk in the sunshine today.
• Riga, Latvia
@TiarasOceanView thanks that sure works well on my mind. Now being totally alone I will let thoughts like this just pass by me. Don't take me to mind I am very vulnerable at the moment.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@RasmaSandra So sorry for your loss Sandra..yes I missed your post. What happened to him was it the pneumonia? Is anyone there at all with you?
@louievill (16230)
At my age I could easily do all that thank God, I could even still climb a tree or the roof of our house, I also always most of the time do not ride the elevator, I prefer the stairs
• Riga, Latvia
Well good for you @louievill long life to you.
@louievill (16230)
@RasmaSandra I hope and pray, btw the article should have also made a study on those people exhibiting those positive traits as to the risk of them dyiing from accidents, strong active people are also accident prone, anyway just a thought that crossed my mind
I shall live to 100! I walk fast and always have, I can balance on one foot at a time. and I can get up and down ,most of the time without problem. but when I am dog tired... I linger in that chair
• Riga, Latvia
I started brisk walking today and will make a round of the country rounds each and every day from now on @andriaperry
I eat healthy but I was never a good balancer.
• Riga, Latvia
Well healthy eating means a lot too @Kandae11