What is time?

@sabtraversa (13338)
Italy
I asked myself this question. I tried to give an answer. Then I went to search "Time" on Wikipedia. It gave me a similar answer. I think, therefore I'm Wikipedia. What is time? Time is a dimension. It's something you can measure, right? Easy peasy! And that was all, bye! Are you disappointed? Okay, I'll improvise a new question and answer! What is time made of? Spacetime, time depends on matter and vice versa. I wouldn't consider time to be physical, but it needs something physical to manifest. Time is where events occur. If there's nothing, nothing occurs. . Time is what allows matter to change itself. It's like the key that kickstarts matter. Everything tends to follow specific rules, is time the rulebook? Does time rule everything? Does time have a coscience? Is time omnipresent? Is time... GOD?! That escalated quickly, enough. Enough!
So what time is it? The thing is not everyone around the world will say the same answer - even if we all comment at the exact same time. Boogles the mind .
@sabtraversa (13338)
@much2say Time is relative. But really, time zones are useless. We could all use the same time, then if 8 AM is bright for me and dark for you, it doesn't matter.
@sabtraversa Right? We're all running on different times - with all this running, no wonder time goes so fast !
Who named it time anyway...that is what I want to know..it could be named spirit too.
@sabtraversa (13338)
@TiarasOceanView Etymology is a fascinating subject. It seems like it comes from "tide". Maybe spirit was an ancient word for time, the very first part of the Bible's Genesis would have been more understandable. The tide of God moved upon the face of the waters.
@sabtraversa Yes that is true in Genesis
@mandala100 (43653)
@sabtraversa I need some time-out about Time my friend and it's about Time.
@sabtraversa (13338)
@mandala100 Take your time.
@mandala100 (43653)
@sabtraversa Yes my friend I'm taking my time: time after time. Time to say bye for now.
Time is the measurement of seconds, minutes and, hours lol
@sabtraversa (13338)
@TRBRocks420 Millennia of science and philosophy for such an easy question.
time is seconds,minues,ddays weeks, mo nths and years plus decadews timeis.
@sabtraversa (13338)
@Hatley Exactly. That's what time is all about, pretty much: it can be as small as second or as big as a millennium; we can measure it and that's it.
@Bluedoll (17068)
I loved reading your work. Can you create nothingness?
@sabtraversa (13338)
@Bluedoll Thank you. If nothingness was something, I could create it. But it's supposed to be nothing, not something.
@Bluedoll (17068)
@sabtraversa funny But seriously if we consider nothing something that is space without any physical presence then it is something = void, empty I used to think outer space was empty and that light was only light without anything physical about it but alas that guy with the fuzzy hair proved I was wrong. ha ha
@sabtraversa (13338)
@Bluedoll Yeah, well, antimatter is still something too. I consider "nothing" to be a word for describing pretty much... nothing, it doesn't have to be something. I mean, I see it as an abstract concept, not as something we can find in nature. Sure, if nothing is something we can't see or touch, then as I said, nothing is something still.
@dpk262006 (56170)
Interesting post about time. I did not delve to find what is ''Time''. I would go with first definition that - Time is a dimension and it could be measured. I know that time is priceless and time gone by never comes back.
@sabtraversa (13338)
@dpk262006 We don't have plans to go back in time, do we? We need no extra definitions. Time represents a perpetual change, and its effects are hard to reverse. However, if we weren't mortals, we wouldn't care as much about wasting time.
@dpk262006 (56170)
@sabtraversa It is not possible to go back in time. . No such time machine has probably been invented so far. Yes, you are very right that time represents constant change. I agree with you that if we were not mortals, we would not have cared about wasting precious time.
@sabtraversa (13338)
@dpk262006 At the same time, we'd care about the changes occurring on our planet. If we're bound to remain here for a long time (forever), we'd care more about nature and pollution.
@1hopefulman (28612)
Good question! Time is so much. I'll tell you more about it in time.
@sabtraversa (13338)
@1hopefulman Thanks. Take your time, I'll be here.
@1hopefulman (28612)
@sabtraversa Could we meet sometime and take the time to discuss time. Imagine what a time we will have, that is if you have the time? I am very precise with time and so I would ask you to be on time as I have no time to waste?
@sabtraversa (13338)
@1hopefulman It's about time we meet to discuss time! Time can really be so much!
@YrNemo (12662)
To me, time is whatever the clock shows me... (I am too simple minded .)
@sabtraversa (13338)
@YrNemo Kind of. That's a very specific kind of time. But the answer to similar questions such as "what's the time / what time is it" would be what you said, whatever the clock tells!
@YrNemo (12662)
@sabtraversa uh oh, now you made me think of the song 'To Everything turn turn turn'
The classic song from the 60s band "The Byrds"
@sabtraversa (13338)
@YrNemo Yeah, there's a time for pretty much everything.
@FayeHazel (18027)
I would think time is something under God's control. I used to understand the basics of Spacetime thanks to a college class, it's been so long though, oh ha ha, it's been a long time so I don't remember the basics of the concept of space time. Yeah that's a good one....
@sabtraversa (13338)
@FayeHazel It seems like spacetime and relativity are mainly about the speed of time, not about time itself. Speed is important but not everything. Okay, it's just me having a hard time understanding that stuff, therefore I see that as something less worthy.
@FayeHazel (18027)
@sabtraversa Ah, as you mention I'm reminded about how light from our sun, from other stars - is old by the time it gets to us. So when we look , especially at some of the very old stars - we look into the past.... still wish I could remember how the 2 mesh together....
@sabtraversa (13338)
@FayeHazel It's the light being slow, its waves or photons, whatever.
@SHOHANA (7182)
• Bangladesh
Time is money!
@sabtraversa (13338)
@SHOHANA Hehe, well, it is, you're right.
@SHOHANA (7182)
• Bangladesh
@sabtraversa not my saying, wise people told this.
@peavey (16640)
God created time when He created the earth and all. Without the movement of the earth there would be no time, because time is simply a measurement of how long it takes the earth to revolve around the sun. The number of rotations the earth takes to complete a 365 day revolution... okay, it's the middle of the night. What is time?
@sabtraversa (13338)
@peavey Without Earth there would be no movement of the Earth and no time, of course. Well, without the movement of any kind of thing in the universe. But here on Earth we measure it with the rotation of our planet. God being time Himself sounds like a weird concept, definitely.
@peavey (16640)
@sabtraversa Sounds logical to me. Except I don't know if there is actual time when one is not on earth, since that's where and how we measure it. The universe is boundless, so it has to be timeless, since time exists within boundaries.
@alberello75 (17578)
• Genova, Italy
Science says that the time is a dimension. Maybe the 4th dimension! In what manner we perceive the passing of time? As "Jovanotti" sang in 90's (in italian) "Quando stai bene vola via come un lampo, quando stai male un attimo sembra eterno! " We can measure it but we can never stop it! It always remains a linear constant
@sabtraversa (13338)
@alberello75 In the so called "spacetime", time must be the 4th dimension. That's true, plants and animals perceive time differently, but for each individual, time can be perceived differently depending on what they're doing, their state of mind and so on. The speed can be fast or slow depending on our perceptions, but yes, time is steady.
@alberello75 (17578)
• Genova, Italy
@sabtraversa You are definitely right. This is the concept of the time (at least in my opinion)
@dodoazo (19720)
Time is not God. It tells a specific era or epoch. It's also a piece or medium that determines the hour, minutes and seconds. Or it's a condition or situation that an events or happenings have already transpired for a certain day, month or year.
@sabtraversa (13338)
@dodoazo I know I went to far with the train of thoughts. Yes, time is a dimension, if we could turn it into something we could see, that would be a line where you can mark a dot or a segment. Well, that's what we're taught at school, especially during History classes. Time can also be a circle, if you think of days or seasons.
@dodoazo (19720)
@sabtraversa therefore time is relative and as far as the discussion is concerned it's timeless.
Time, I recall that somewhere Einstein defined time as "that which a clock measures." In his relativity papers there is a complicated definition. Einstein proved that time is not a simple fundamental property of the Universe. It may very well be fundamental, but it isn't simple.
@sabtraversa (13338)
@LadyDuck Yes, time is a very unique dimension. Relativity seems more about the speed of time than time itself, time sure has complex properties.
@sabtraversa Time surely is a complicated matter.
@EddieHands (37845)
Time is what people think is in the clock. But if you lose yourself in a moment.. with music..under the moon.. and don't notice the time... then i think time stops.. you forget about.. we only think about.. when it's tie to get up to to this or that.. or go to sleep to do this or that? but what if we were free to never have to be anywhere at any time??? then time wouldn't mean much....
@sabtraversa (13338)
@EddieHands We can only think of time the way we perceive it, after all. And yes, there are moments it feels like time stops, but that's just an illusion. Otherwise, if we could really stop our time, that'd be the secret of immortality! No time would mean no change, no day and night, no seasons. Tons of things and events we give for granted would disappear if time ceased to exist.
@EddieHands (37845)
@sabtraversa i want the secret to immortality !! and yes time has to flow for all those things to happen in life... and really time never stops or waits.. .it will move on either way.. but I like to think when I look at the moon at nigh. i lose track of time lol.
That is too deep for me now. I'm going to hit the hay as the English say.
@sabtraversa (13338)
@MALUSE Nice to hear this post had soporific effects on you. I mean, that's something. Have a good night.
@Kahl39 (1226)
• Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Time for me is the most important thing. I always make sure I spend it in the most valuable way I can. I feel guilty when I don't spend it productively. In the olden time, they can only tell through the position of the sun and through their shadows. We are lucky these days we have devices that can show us the right time even on the other side of the hemisphere.
@sabtraversa (13338)
@Kahl39 Time has a more complex language nowadays, you're right. In the past they couldn't be as exact as we are today, but time was the same. Yes, our time is limited and we must do the best we can with what we have.
@kepweng (15063)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
i think we cannot escape time friend and its called lifetime
@sabtraversa (13338)
@kepweng We can manage our lifetime though, making it longer by avoiding danger and adopting a healthy lifestyle. Well, maybe that's because our bodies are like machines, and after a while they break down and go out of service.
@mythociate (15387)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Time is just a dimension of measurement (I suppose you might call it "duration"---the temporal-distance from something's initiation to it's deactivation.)
@sabtraversa (13338)
@mythociate Yes, everything you can measure is a dimension somehow.