Feeling blah today!

@sol_cee (13228)
Japan
I gave birth at a public hospital twice. It’s government-owned hence you go home afterwards with a zero-balance statement of account if you have the necessary documents and everything. That’s the most important thing. It’s government-owned hence you don’t expect endearing hospital staff and the best quality service.That’s a bonus.If you get one, you’re lucky. If not, then so be it. It’s just how it works in my country and people get by. It was Day 2 of my second childbirth and I was standing in a long line of harried-looking mothers (and fathers), waiting for the government guys to process our child’s birth registration. A young lady in front of me, with her undone hair and pale face, was teary eyed while talking to the government staff. She wanted to name her baby, Tergent, saying it’s a special name with a special meaning for her and her husband, but the government staff laughed at her saying, ‘As in DeTERGENT? Who would name their baby after a soap or something?’ And the other government staff laughed with him while adding more inappropriate jokes. I felt bad for Tergent’s mom, ridiculed by educated people who would have assisted her in a less embarrassing way. I stopped eavesdropping and zoned out. Human beings. I don’t know if Tergent became Tergent. Or if the government guy succeeded in renaming him, shaping his future. I finished my son’s birth registration quickly, glaring at the person-in-charge for his tasteless humor and looked at the long line of harried-looking mothers (and fathers) about to be devoured by the government’s very own insolent sharks. PS. I warned you. I'm feeling blah today.
@hereandthere (23167)
i know we have that habit of joining the names of parents to name a child to make it symbolic or unique (i had an officemate whose name was a combination of syllables from her mother's and aunts' names), but really they should have kept their opinions to themselves. it's not their problem. they're just processors, so just do their job.
@sol_cee (13228)
• Japan
Power-trippers?
@sol_cee they're everywhere
@sol_cee (13228)
• Japan
@hereandthere do you have any experience Hereandthere-san?
@deazil (4605)
Terrible that they're allowed to treat someone like that, particularly a young woman in her situation. But I like the way you handle it. Your attitude seems to sustain you. Well written account of an unfortunate incident. Tomorrow's another day. I hope you feel better by then.
@sol_cee (13228)
• Japan
Thank you for reading my long discussion. 'Appreciate it. ;)
@deazil (4605)
@sol_cee You're welcome. I enjoyed reading it. Even an unpleasant experience, when well-written, is enjoyable to read.
@sol_cee (13228)
• Japan
@deazil Why don't you write one?
@ridingbet (36612)
suddenly, i remembered when i was the godparent of our neighbor who is also born the same date as mine. she is Jennifer. when we were in the church for her christening, a couple told the officiating priest that the name of their son is STARSKY (from Starsky and Hutch). [is my spelling correct?] the priest asked the name 3 times, but when he finally leaned about the name, the priest said,"Starsky, Starsky, Pedro na lang!" we all laughed, and the poor parents blushed. from Starsky to Pedro.
@sol_cee (13228)
• Japan
Silly priest. But seriously, was your godson's name changed to Pedro?
@ridingbet (36612)
@sol_cee no, because he is not a godson but a god daughter. she is Jennifer.
@sol_cee (13228)
• Japan
"Merry Christmas,ninang.," Jennifer said. ;)
Rude annoying people. I hope the woman got to keep the name she wanted
@sol_cee (13228)
• Japan
Long time no see Paigea-san.
@sol_cee I am around now and then!
@sol_cee (13228)
• Japan
@paigea yeah but I just bumped into you now. ;)
@peachpurple (9949)
Yeah, those uncultured people should be smacked at the bums. They are way so rude
@sol_cee (13228)
• Japan
Smacking them at the bum sounds like a good idea. ;)
@sol_cee yeah, get a fly beater!
@sol_cee (13228)
• Japan
@peachpurple haha good idea!
@YrNemo (7686)
Congrats to the arrival of your second boy. And here I thought you were busy in some expensive restaurant in Tokyo.
@sol_cee (13228)
• Japan
Waiting for the Collin Farrells of the world? lol
@YrNemo (7686)
@sol_cee How was the birthing, easy? (how many hours? weight? your mom takes care of the little one right now so that you can sleep?)
@sol_cee (13228)
• Japan
@YrNemo the little one is seven years old now Darcy-san. ;)
@dpk262006 (54032)
It was wrong on the part of Government hospital staff to make fun of that lady regarding name of her child. They should not have indulged in this kind of behavior. P.S. - Your post reveals that you are mother of two kids. I did not know it. I thought that you are a single woman. (Don't laugh please).
@sol_cee (13228)
• Japan
Deepak-san, I am very much married. ;)
@dpk262006 (54032)
@sol_cee You are not married but you are very much married, fine enough. Thanks for updating me. I have another doubt - Is your post about a Japanese Government Hospital?
@sol_cee (13228)
• Japan
@dpk262006 certainly not Japan. :)
How very rude of them to take fun of this mother. This is not what you expect from Government workers. At least I surely would not expect this in Switzerland or in Japan, even if I would find this very normal in Italy.
@sol_cee (13228)
• Japan
Unfortunately it is ingrained in the system.
@sol_cee This is so sad, all public officers should respect the population, they are paid with the money collected from the people who pay taxed, they should remind this little detail.
Wow that is terrible. I think it is so rude how everyone has to but their two cents in on things like these people with their opinions on what the woman wanted to name her own child!
@sol_cee (13228)
• Japan
You feel me. I feel you Shaggin-san.
@responsiveme (14383)
I understand what you mean by govt institutions... People are not usually polite. But twice recently was pleasantly surprised when I went to govt hospital and found people responding pleasantly. Same with banks etc. For me though things are good because with the long years of teaching have got students mostly everywhere in town Hope you feel blah free soon. Sending you some dark chocolate virtually. Wish they were real though
@sol_cee (13228)
• Japan
Wow.. It means your students before have the chance to be of service to you. ;)
I am sorry you do not feel well today. That was a terrible story, what they did to that poor woman,
@m_audrey6788 (11004)
Well..I don`t think it`s a "BLAH" but I guess, We can`t avoid people who don`t mind others reactions would be when they express their feelings about something..I usually, stay far away and not mingle with people with such behavior
@sol_cee (13228)
• Japan
What is BLAH for you?
@sol_cee ..Well.."BLAH" is nothing for me and no reason at all!
@sol_cee (13228)
• Japan
@m_audrey6788 I'm feeling blah. ;)
@JustBhem (20855)
• Davao, Philippines
One time, I also went to a government office to have a copy of my Birth certificate. I wrote my name in a piece of paper and when it's my turn. The officer in charge read my name loudly and she was laughing when she read it. Then I asked her why laughed, her reason was it sound like Satur - the other guy in the news. I corrected her on how to pronounce my name. And before I live, I told her this, the next time be professional because not all the time it's about humiliating people. You work in the government and you might end up nowhere.
@sol_cee (13228)
• Japan
Who's that other guy on the news?
@JustBhem (20855)
• Davao, Philippines
@sol_cee Satur Ocampo? Have you heard of him?
@sol_cee (13228)
• Japan
@JustBhem Diether Ocampo's father? ;) I have no idea really.
I think those remarks were rude and uncalled for, but I had a chuckle at Tergent's expense. Parents should really give a long think about the name they choose for their offspring.
That is terrible! Just because it's a government hospital doesn't give people the right to ridicule a person's choice for a name of their child.
@bluesa (11997)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
How very rude of the government staff! hmmm...insolent sharks, well described! I hope you're feeling less blah by now, Sol.
Some people today were actually named after food! and it went well because they have successful careers after. They should have continued naming him Tergent. WHO THE HELL CARES what that Staff just said, just get on with the registration anyway.
• Nairobi, Kenya
The government staff were so childish. They should have joked about it after she left but Tergent is a nice name.
@salonga (27969)
Why not just name the baby Ariel or Perla if it was a girl lol! I am just kidding.
@PatZAnthony (11728)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It is really sad that some "in charge" can be so cruel. She was at their mercy, but they did not have any to offer it seems.