Energy Wasters and a Decision To Take

Switzerland
Yesterday evening one of my two refrigerators has stopped working. It's annoying, because it's the one that is placed inside the cabinet. While I was searching online to find a replacement, I was evaluating if to replace it or to renounce and reduce the quantity of the fresh food I usually keep in the refrigerator. The refrigerator is one of the top electricity wasters, it consumes the 4% of the annual electricity cost with an average of 95$/year. I think that we could live with only 1 refrigerator, of course we would be in trouble the day it stops working. What would you decide in my place, to replace or to renounce? For those who like to know, the biggest energy waster are: - Heating and Cooling - 47% of the energy with an average of 1,056 $/year - Water heater - 14% $317/year - Washer & Dryer - 13% $ 143/year. Photo: to the left the broken refrigerator, to the right the working one.
If you lived in a far away area and couldn't shop often, then I would go for another fridge. But in your case, you said you could go shopping twice a week. Not a big priority then.
This is what I am evaluating, even if it seems hard to find a new model to fit in the old cabinet. The main grocery shops are less than 2 km. from home.
@LadyDuck Your grocery shops are not very far away.
@marlina No they are not, all the way down going there and all the way up coming home. If we cannot move the car, bringing home heavy packages is a problem.
That is unfortunate, have you considered just getting a bar-sized fridge for your produce? We have a regular sized fridge and a bar fridge and we find it adequate.
I would buy a second mainly for big items, we have a bar-sized fridge downstairs. When I finally reorganized all the bottles and items that were inside the old one, I was able to place everything in the new one. I am not sure we will buy a second one soon.
@LadyDuck Do you have a cold storage for some of your produce?
@Juliaacv The Atomic Shelter is never too warm, the temperature is around 18 Celsius, it's good for pickled products in glass jars, but not for things that must be kept refrigerated.
@topffer (30685)
• France
I cannot tell you what to do, I do not know your needs. Living alone, one is enough for me. I got rid of the freezer when I moved and I bought a cheap food dehydrator. Not sure that I do savings on electricity with it, but if it stops to work I will not have to run to replace it, and it is incredible the space that dehydrating fruits and vegetables saves (for example 2 kg of fresh bananas can hold in a 250 g jar once dehydrated).
I have a dehydrator, I use it also for the tomatoes when there are many fresh from the garden. Do we need it? Not really. We can go grocery shopping twice a week and avoid buying too much food. Of course it was great to have a "backup" yesterday evening, because I moved everything inside the other refrigerator and nothing went spoiled.
@topffer (30685)
• France
@LadyDuck I guess it is my survival side : I want to have to eat if there is a major electricity failure. I have a lot of survival gadgets, including an emergency charger and a mini laptop running on normal AA batteries : I am ready for an hurricane.
@topffer We have a lot of survival emergency gadgets, they are down inside the atomic shelter. I have to convince my husband to buy less cheese and less hot sauces that need to be refrigerated once opened.
@sabtraversa (9885)
I don't know how old the two refrigerators are, but I would stick with keeping one, if you can do so. If you're unlucky again then there must be a solution for keeping food fresh and "edible" for some time, while immediately going to the store and get a new one. I doubt that's going to happen soon, that'd be too much.
The one that gave up was 25 years old, it was already in the house when we bought it. The second is only two years old. I think that I will not buy another soon and if I am unlucky we will host a big party and eat everything that is inside the refrigerator.
• Marion, Kansas
@GardenGerty It's the only way not to waste food.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
Since I live alone one refrigerator is adequate for me. In fact, due to how little space I require for cold items, when I bought the last one I concentrated more on finding one with mainly freezer space.
As I had two, this is what I did, I bought one with a big freezer space, now I am not sure that the space left for fresh products is enough. It's a bit small.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck I originally chose one with more fresh food space, but time proved this to be a mistake for me. When I came t replace it I concentrated more on freezer room.
@Asylum We bought a separate freezer, that we put downstairs in the basement, where the temperature is always cooler, it's more efficient.
@sol_cee (13616)
• Japan
Two fridges! You must never run out of food, yeah? ;)
When the fridge breaks, i t usually happens during the Christmas holidays, or on Sunday when you cannot go out and buy another one immediately and a lot of food is wasted. This is why I feel uncomfortable not to have a "backup fridge".
@sol_cee (13616)
• Japan
@LadyDuck That makes sense. You always have plan B Anna-san. ;)
@sol_cee Better be ready than to be sorry when something happens.
@crossbones27 (15111)
• Redlands, California
Holy crap, Anna done went political, not really but in these times. People are off. Love this post miss lady. Great job of showing examples.
I am so upset that silly refrigerator broke, it's never a good time to spend money.
• Redlands, California
@LadyDuck Indeed, love as in people can learn. Not at your misery and punch me in the face in the morning, Which will be hard because so far away.
@crossbones27 I was so upset yesterday evening. I have just finished washing the dishes, I had all the extra work to move the food.
Like I said, replace both. Food it important and costly and you need a reliable vehicle for it. I don't consider paying for electric a waste of money, it's a necessity. I enjoy living in comfort, that's why I worked hard to be able to live like this now. That is a very modern looking fridge considering it is 18 plus years old.
No, one of the two is new, it is still under warranty and it will be for another 5 years, this would be wasted money. The one inside the cabinet is 25 years old and I am only annoyed because those that must fit inside a cabinet cost twice the price of a normal refrigerator. There is no more place in the kitchen for another outside the cabinet.
@LadyDuck I don't think I've ever seen a tall skinny one like that.
@AbbyGreenhill Those are the European standard, we have smaller spaces so we have narrow appliances.
• Denmark
You're only two people in the house, the shops aren't far away, no natural catastrophes are to be expected and Switzerland is neutral, so no armed conflicts, either. I think, one fridge is enough.
This is what I think, now I clear the existing refrigerator to see if I have enough space to store the food I prepare when I have guests. If not I should consider to replace the existing one with a bigger one without the freezer on the bottom. We have a second freezer in the basement.
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
I would say if you really don't need it then don't replace it. I have one refrigerator and a small freezer in the basement.
We have a second freezer in the basement and a small bar-size refrigerator downstairs in the little tavern with the fireplace. My husband feels uncomfortable to have only one, just in case. I am checking the prices and dimensions online.
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
@LadyDuck Good luck hope you can find just the right one.
@fishtiger58 I have seen one on the Ikea online store. The next week I go there to talk with them, I need someone to install the refrigerator.
That's so sad to hear. I hope you can find another one soon.
I am looking online, Ikea seems to have something interesting.
@LadyDuck I heard that Ikea produces good products.
@Shavkat The appliances they sell are usually made by Whirlpool that is a good brand.
I think you cann't make do with only one refrigerator ,if you live far away from the grocery or market.You might as well buy a energy-saving refrigerator.I wonder if placing refrigerator inside the cabinet affects its dissipation of heat.
You have to buy the special refrigerators that are made to go inside the cabinets. This is what annoys me most because they cost the double than a normal refrigerator. The grocery stores are not far from home.
@LadyDuck I don't get why you have to place the refrigerator inside a cabinet.Is it so arranged that it doesn't take up any space?
@changjiangzhibin89 Yes, this space is made for the refrigerator and if I do not use this space, I have no other places in the kitchen where to put it.
@HazySue (17182)
I think I might decide to renounce. But then again, I have two refrigerators myself and like fresh food. I might get a little cramped with just one.
My fear to have only one is that the day it breaks, everything I have inside will spoil. I could never buy and receive a refrigerator in 12 hours.
@HazySue (17182)
@LadyDuck It sounds like you probably go ahead and purchase another one. It is better to be safe than sorry.
@HazySue I called the store and asked them to send someone to check the dimensions of the cabinet, to be sure not to buy something that does not fit.
• Preston, England
renounce for a while and if it proves impractical then replace
Very wise advice and it is what I was considering to do. Get rid of the old one and check the existing cabinet. In a couple of weeks I see if I really miss the second one.
• Preston, England
@LadyDuck hope it works out - if you don't need a replacement it will save you money
@arthurchappell Absolutely, it's better to be sure before wasting money.
@FayeHazel (11811)
I think you'd be alright with 1, but that's just me. I hope you caught it before your food spoiled
Yes, I was washing the dishes in the kitchen when it happened. I had to transfer the food to the other refrigerator, but nothing spoiled.
@FayeHazel (11811)
@LadyDuck Oh that is a blessing for sure :-)
@bunnybon7 (33113)
• Holiday, Florida
thats terrible. knowing me if i could afford it i would keep 2. but it is your decision
I am considering replacing it, because you never know. I prefer to have two.
@bunnybon7 (33113)
• Holiday, Florida
@silvermist (15794)
I read all the responses and your comments.Though it will sound logical,to renounce,I think you should replace.Hope you find a model you like.
May be I have found one, I have to go to the store and personally check the dimensions.
I would like to get rid of our old fridge in the basement. I am sure it is an energy waster since it is so old. I think we could manage with one fridge.
This is what I also think, we are only two, going grocery shopping twice a week we can have plenty of free space in one fridge.
• Lakewood, Colorado
I would definitely get the one that was the best energy saver. Here I do not have a choice..because renting..this fridge is literally an energy consumer.
The survivor is almost brand new and it's energy saver and it's not inside a cabinet, so it even cost half the price. I am annoyed to buy an expensive one only because it has to fit inside the cabinet.
@poehere (17878)
• French Polynesia
I would look at my budget after I found a model that fit into the cabinet. If this fits in the budget, it is worth considering buying a replacement one. If this is rather expensive I would live with only 1 for the time being. However, you still need to consider the age of your second refrigerator. If it is less tan 7 years old it might be worth holding off and not buying a new one. If it is older, then I might consider the investment.
The second refrigerator is only 2 years old, it's very good and energy efficient. I would have changed the old one, but it's not easy to take it off the cabinet and to find one that fits. I have seen one sold by Ikea, I have to go to their store and check the dimensions, I would not buy without checking personally.
@poehere (17878)
• French Polynesia
@LadyDuck In a case like yours, you have to be so careful with the size. I agree that it is important to go to the store and measure them first before you spend the money. It would be a disaster if you brought one home that was too big.
@poehere I have been to the store yesterday and I asked them to send a tech guy to check the dimensions. If something goes wrong they are responsible. A very little difference can be a serious problem.