Bad first date

United Kingdom
Last night I went on a date. Started off with him calling to say he would be half an hour late. Ok, at least he called, no biggie. Anyways this was internet dating, so he shows up at the day and he was a good 15 years older than the picture I had seen and several stone heavier. In fact, I'd go as for as to say that might not have been him in the photo. I saw him walking from a distance towards my house and thought oh great, he's not as I expected already. Anyways we went to a county pub and I ended up having to carry the conversation 100%. He had no hobbies and didn't want to ask me anything about myself. He was a lot older than me, so I thought he would be very confident and would take the lead, but basically he had all the personality of a dried up sponge. That might sound harsh, but for 2 hours, I had to think of things to say to stop the silences. I came away with no sense at all of him as a person. There was nothing remotely memorable about him. He was a complete and utter bore. Thankfully I know 60/70s rock like the back of my hand, so I could carry the conversation based on that. I haven't been on a date for a long time after I got my heart broken my a Scotsman, so this was a big deal for me and what a waste of time. He wanted to see me again, but no, no, no, nooooo.
@deazil (4625)
Aaauuuugggghhhhh!!!!! Horrible date. I don't think I would go on a date with someone I met online, but these days, depending on where you live, it's really hard to meet people and sometimes it's the only choice you have. I can't believe he had the nerve to send you such an old maybe-not-even-him picture, knowing that he was going to try meet you. Better luck next time. If there is a next time. What a rotten experience for you. At least he didn't turn out be some kind of criminal. That you know of anyway.
He wasn't a bad person and I didn't feel remotely threatened by him all. He was just a very boring person, who was fine talking via the net and we had a phone call that was fairly short, but he was ok. In person he was just mute. I was asking him what was his fave film, music, hobbies - anything I could think of and it was just a wall. No flow of conversation. I've done net dating before and I've ended up with a couple of boyfriends who weren't the right sort I'll politely say, so it's been a few years since I last did it, but I can't say I go clubbing and I live in a fairly small town, so there's no real choice in nightlife, so there's little chance of meeting people really.
@SerenityEngel Actually the one guy ended up a bit of a stalker and it took me 6 months to get him out of my life, so yes, internet dating can prove a problem.
@deazil (4625)
@SerenityEngel That's really scary. You be careful out there!
ive been on a few dates that i have met online and have found people love to post photos of "them" from what they think are their better years lol after a few misleading dates i have started to ask them to video chat with me before taking that next step to meet! it stinks that your first date after a heartbreak had to be a boring one but hey at least you got out there & took that step! good luck with any future dates!!
Thanks Laurie. I was going to skype but I hadn't found the webcam in time and hooked it up. I'll do that next time, I think
• Denmark
If he wants to see you again, he must have got something out of the date. One wonders - what.
I think he was happy I was doing all the talking. He could just sit there and be entertained, I guess. He probably finds it hard to meet girls and keep 'em due to his lack on conservation, I guess, but I can talk a lot if need be, but really I don't like to dominate the chat at all, so I was very comfortable with it all being about me, but he didn't have anything to say! LOL!
You really had to work so hard on that date since this fellow just had nothing to say of interest at all. Glad you will not see this guy again.
I woke up this morning feeling so tired. I think it was all the effort I put in. And I was so nervous about it as I keep away from dating due to many bad experiences, so I was pretty tense about it and I got home and thought well that was a waste of time. I actually signed the end of the date and said it was time for me to go as he said he was happy to sit there and continue. LOL! I was like no.... no, I think that's late enough for a work night. It was 9.30pm :-D :-D
Update just found a message from him kicking me to the kerb before I messaged him and did it - bear in mind he did want to see me again last night. To be honest I was just going to leave it and not say anything horrible to him. I wouldn't arrange a second date with him, so it was obvious I wasn't interested. Oh well there's another one for the collection of bad dates..
@SerenityEngel Well, glad he realized that you and he just would not get along that well.
That sounds like a brutal couple of hours. Glad you survived!
I did, but as I just posted on a new thread, now he's called me and left a message. I wonder if he will go quietly into the night or have I got another stalker type on my hands. The reason why I don't date anymore. I left it for 3 years hoping the types of men I attract will have improved, but maybe not.
@Essjayd (1102)
Oh no that sounds horrendous!! I've never tried internet dating but 3 of my friends have found their future husband or wife through it.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Oh dear sorry to hear this..what a bore he was then and also yes, that may not have been him in the photo.
@sishy7 (24649)
I guess he turned out somewhat different online from offline and I mean not only physically... Sorry it didn't work out for you... But, welcome to myLot, by the way... I hope this will work out better for you and you will enjoy your stay here...