Gift hoarding

@FayeHazel (11810)
Seeing as my parent's birthdays just happened, I need to refill my gift hoard.  What's a gift hoard you ask? I buy things that I think people would like around the year - as I see them, then I save them up, ready for gift giving opportunities - like birthdays and Christmas.   This serves several purposes for me.  It saves me from trying to look for items people would like last minute, and it saves me from being broke those months when gift opportunities roll around.  Do you do this, too? Photo: Mine
• Denmark
My mother had such a box. It's a great idea. I always have gifts ready, namely my photo postcards. People like to get them. :-)
@FayeHazel (11810)
Gifts that friends make are the best! :-)
I do that - but not intentionally.
@FayeHazel (11810)
Wow- you just see tihngs and buy as you see them?
I buy as needed, but I think it wise of you to hoard gifts so that you are always prepared.
@FayeHazel (11810)
Ah yes, I hate feeling unprepared
I used to be better about that . . . I used to buy stuff up all year 'round - but in the past maybe couple years I haven't. I've gotten more selfish and started buying things for ME . But you do have me thinking that I should start the holiday shopping now!
@FayeHazel (11810)
Nothing wrong with being selfish at times. I used to give away the gift cards I would win, however now I keep them for me :-)
@FayeHazel I've done that too . . . give away the gift cards. Sometimes we just have to be nice to ourselves . Hey, so I've started the holiday gift hoarding .
@FayeHazel (11810)
@much2say Yay! It is great you already have a start on your holiday gift run! You're right though -- sometimes it's nice to have treats for just ourselves too
YES! I do this all the time. When I thing something that a member of my family or a friend would like I buy it.
@FayeHazel (11810)
It's a great idea :-)
@YrNemo (8724)
I do that now and then. The problem is, I end up with a pile of treasures which I don't want to part with.
@FayeHazel (11810)
Ha ha, oh that is a very real point, too
@YrNemo (8724)
@FayeHazel Right now, right in my bedroom, there are 2 shelves full of figurines, witches, Vikings, babies, angels... (They are soooo pretty!)
@FayeHazel (11810)
@YrNemo I love figurines! I have a weakness for faeries myself :-)
@poehere (17879)
• French Polynesia
I know a lot of people who do this. Here on the islands we don't give out gifts so much. Basically we have get together and everyone brings food. Basically the only time to exchange or give a gift is for the small children at Christmas. I think it is a good idea to do this. Then when you need a gift you have something to give.
@FayeHazel (11810)
It's a good point. I have wanted for awhile to cut back on gift buying... sometimes it gets a little intense -- but I do love giving and getting gifts. :-)
@poehere (17879)
• French Polynesia
I tried something like that once. I would buy two presents - one for the birthday, one for Christmas. It worked out that year. I wasn't able to do it since.
@FayeHazel (11810)
Sometimes it just doesn't want to seem to work out. I know I'm struggling to rebuild my stashed gifts, though at least I have a little time
@FayeHazel Yes you do.
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
No, I am usually running around like crazy last minute shopping! I really should start a gift hoard.
@FayeHazel (11810)
Ha ha, oh I shouldn't laugh though, that is such an unpleasant feeling
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@FayeHazel , I know and you think I would learn, but no, next thing I know I am running around like crazy! lol
@kepweng (6407)
i have a friend hoarding a gift and then after a few years she would sell it in higher price
@FayeHazel (11810)
That is actually a smart idea too
@responsiveme (14454)
Yes, I do...Especially when I go out to visit other cities I get and store things which is not available where I live.
@FayeHazel (11810)
That is good thinking - to buy plenty of what you don't have access to in your hometown
No, I always seemed to wait until the last possible minute back when I celebrated such occasions.
@FayeHazel (11810)
Actually I know people who do wait until after holidays to buy gifts because that's when all the stuff goes on sale. Not a bad plan, actually :-)
It never entered my mind. I like it!
@FayeHazel (11810)
It's a pretty good idea. :-) And excuse to go shop
@m_audrey6788 (11509)
I do the same
@FayeHazel (11810)
It is a really good plan :-)