When did you offer the TALK to your offspring ?

I have observed lots of stuff in my life over the years and recently have seen a decrease in an area that was quite rampant only a decade ago, but maybe this decrease in procreating too early has something to do with timing as well as understanding the subject. When a young girl (or boy) dreams of having a family of their own some day, wishing to be a mom or dad of their own brood, where does the advice to assist in those dreams besides encouraging getting pretty, dressed up or other vanity-influenced actions, educated beyond high school, or simply being mature and ready to start a family, really come from ? When does the right time roll around for talking about intimate relations with the opposite gender become necessary ? Mom and I had the 'talk' when I was about 10 . . .
Since we have one child, a son, my husband took care of that. I think our son started asking questions in middle school and my husband answered those and added information appropriate for his age.
Was the decision to have that talk with your son based on gender only since your husband 'took care of that' @Corbin5 ?
@enlightenedpsych2 Our son asked his dad the questions, not his mother. Mom is quite proper in language and actions, but Dad is a bit more relaxed, like guys happen to be. My sister asked our son if he had any girlfriends when our son was in middle school. Our son's reply, "I am not comfortable talking to you about that, Aunt Wendy." Our has always been very productive of my sister and his mother.
@Corbin5 okay so naturally the offspring associated with the same gender parent will seek advice on this, was just curious
• Pleasant Hill, California
Which "part" of the talk? I'm very matter-of-fact with the older kids I work with. And I add a little humor to make it easier to to talk about. "A little but of sugar helps the medicine go down..."
@vandana7 (66853)
I love that song..but I thought it is A spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down.. Coming to the medicine, is it really medicine?
• Pleasant Hill, California
@vandana7 I think you have the lyrics right. I haven't heard it in years. Think metaphor!
@vandana7 what song would you be referring to when this discussion is about having the talk about the birds and the bees ????
Mom never had a "talk" about this with me, I am glad we had in school, I was 13.
Just curious when was your mom born and of what nationality @LadyDuck ?
@enlightenedpsych2 My Mom was born in 1920 in Italy, we are all Italian in my family.
@LadyDuck oooh I really admire that culture so knowledgeable in both food and fun and NOT wearing oneself down from worry . . . most of my Italian friends are some of the best peeps, like you for example . . .
The only talk my mother had with me was the one concerning becoming a woman and only because they showed a film on it at school. Otherwise I don't think she would have had that talk with me either. Still, I was unprepared when it happened.
Oh I am sorry you went into motherhood and child birth, unprepared @just4him
@enlightenedpsych2 Yes I did. I didn't know what to expect about anything.
@just4him do you believe in foresight Valerie ?
@gilggg (2662)
• Israel
I think it is very important that parents educate their children about this and that in school there will be a curriculum for classes on this subject. This issue is definitely something that can affect for a lifetime.
I agree that what is explained as early on as possible, the wiser the choices made by a youngster growing up with the urge to explore and thank you @gilggg when did you offer the talk ?
@gilggg (2662)
• Israel
@enlightenedpsych2 When I was 13 my Dad talked with me about it...
@gilggg were you also enlightened by what your mother knew or felt about the subject ?
@aninditasen (1794)
• Raurkela, India
We in India don't talk to boys or girls about an intimate relationship until they are teenagers.
Well what happens, gosh forbid, with an unwanted pregnancy before they are teenagers @aninditasen ?
• Raurkela, India
@enlightenedpsych2 It rarely does happen in India.
@aninditasen is this because there is more self respect and moral-laden influence on the youth over there ?
@dodoazo (21035)
We have a family home evening. It's the best for our family members to gather together for an hour or so and discuss family matters which our children want to know. We hold this every Monday night.
Now that is great parenting and socializing between the parents and children, but when was that 'talk' offered to your kids @dodoazo ?
@dodoazo (21035)
@enlightenedpsych2 right then and there. It's my wife who moderate the discussion. At least they've already the background especially when we relate how we as their parents met, engaged and got married.