I could certainly do without these constant obstacles

@Asylum (47313)
Manchester, England
Ever since my chemotherapy treatment began I have had obstacles of one kind or another, even resulting in 3 days hospitalisation on two separate occasions. My current treatment was set for 9 chemotherapy sessions in total, of which yesterday’s was number 9. I was really looking forward to this final session being completed and finding out how successful or otherwise the result has been. A few minutes prior to the treatment completing the machine stopped. On examination it appeared that the cannula had actually become dislodged from the vein and had pumped some of the chemotherapy drug into my tissue just below the skin. It seems that this can cause damage to the tissue, so the cannula was removed and a doctor was summoned. I was given a special cream to apply over the next 7 days and also a frozen gel pack to apply. The gel pack had to be applied for 30 minutes every 4 hours over a 24 hour period. This involved using it from 10 to 10-30 PM last night, then 2 to 2-30 AM and again at 6 to 6-30 AM. It may turn out to be a minor issue with no real cause for concern, but I could have done without such problems for my final treatment.
Of course, 'liking' this discussion doesn't mean I liked what it was about and what happened, but you know that. I do hope it turns out to be nothing of any real concern.
@Asylum (47313)
• Manchester, England
It is likely to do so, but that does not stop me from being apprehensive.
@vandana7 (57515)
Me too...had difficulty in pressing that like..
I agree, I hit that like button out of habit, but it doesn't mean I really like it.
Sorry about that. Those administering the chemotherapy should have been much more careful.
@Asylum (47313)
• Manchester, England
I feel that it would be unfair to apportion blame.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Oh dear @Asylum..yes you could have done without these obstacles and this one in particular..they better get it right the next time, even if it was not their fault. I can imagine how this has made you anxious and now more waiting.
@Asylum (47313)
• Manchester, England
I am hoping that there will not be another chemotherapy for a while.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Asylum Yes that would be the ideal @Asylum, but in the case that there is...They will do some more tests now will they to find out how the chemo did I suppose right?
@Asylum (47313)
• Manchester, England
@TiarasOceanView Yes, probably a scan and/or X-ray.
@Asylum I'm sorry you have had problems. Still sending prayers!
@Asylum (47313)
• Manchester, England
There does not appear to be any lasting damage.
I'm sorry that happened to you. I hope it stays a minor issue.
@Asylum (47313)
• Manchester, England
That seems to be the case so far.
Oh my goodness Barry, I hope that this is the end of the problems. You really had constant obstacles during your treatments. How is the affected area today? I hope nothing serious.
@Asylum (47313)
• Manchester, England
The area seems okay, although I cannot be sure what it is like under the skin. Now I am due for a consultation on Monday to discuss the overall situation.
@Asylum For what I understood you already did the 9 treatments and there are no more scheduled for the future. I hope you are going to have good news on Monday.
@Asylum (47313)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck Yes I have completed the schedule of nine chemotherapy treatments, but the future is still unknown. On Monday I will have a scan and the doctor will determine the results, at which time she will either schedule further chemotherapy, radiotherapy or hopefully a further assessment in a few months.
Yes, on the final treatment too. Hope your tissue heals okay.
@Asylum (47313)
• Manchester, England
Only time will tell. Right now I accept it as an unfortunate incident, but yesterday I was horrified.
@Asylum .....I bet you were. You have your brother with you, right?
@Asylum (47313)
• Manchester, England
@celticeagle He is on holiday in Germany this week.
Oh no, I hope it is minor and when you say this was your 9 out of 9 sessions, does this mean that possibly the cancer has been removed?
@Asylum (47313)
• Manchester, England
No, cancer cannot actually be cured. The best scenario is to subdue the cancer so that it only requires monitoring for the present, but even then it will eventually return and flare up.
@Asylum Oh, that stinks. I just replied on my post about one of my professors who went for this test and because he was cancer free for so long, I thought he said he was cured. Maybe I misread it.
@Asylum (47313)
• Manchester, England
@Carmelanirel2 I believe the accepted term is 'in remission' which constitutes a period of relatively free from symptoms.
• Preston, England
ouch, right at the final fence too - hope it clears up ok
@Asylum (47313)
• Manchester, England
I have recently managed the last 30 minutes of the ice pack, which was the real inconvenient factor. Now I shall continue with the cream and hope for the best.
• Preston, England
@Asylum I had to use frozen peas as an ice pack when I shattered my ankle about 20 years ago
@Asylum (47313)
• Manchester, England
@arthurchappell I have a couple of gel packs of my own, but they still insisted on supplying one.
• Eugene, Oregon
What a pain that is and for it to happen at the last treatment. I hope it causes no further problems for you.
@Asylum (47313)
• Manchester, England
It now turns out that it is not my last chemotherapy because I have been scheduled for 3 more in 2 weeks time.
• Eugene, Oregon
@Asylum Ohhh, well, I hope that that is a good thing for you. Take care.
@Asylum (47313)
• Manchester, England
@JamesHxstatic I would have preferred a period of inactivity, but at least I am making progress.
Sorry to hear all that you have been going through. I hope this will be the end of all the other problems you have been facing.
@Asylum (47313)
• Manchester, England
I will be assessed on Monday and may be fortunate enough to have a rest period.
@Asylum h0e Monday brings you better news
@Asylum (47313)
• Manchester, England
@Happy2BeMe So do I.
I read and commented on this but must have moved on before it registered. I hope it did turn out to be a minor concern.
@Asylum (47313)
• Manchester, England
Yes, fortunately it was not too serious.
@Asylum good to hear that anyway!
@sallypup (21968)
• Moses Lake, Washington
How awful. I hope things go better for you from now on.
@Asylum (47313)
• Manchester, England
It was certainly a worrying situation.
@sallypup (21968)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Asylum I'm sure it was. Take care.
@peachpurple (10708)
So sorry that you have to go through the hassle. Very tiring. Isn't it?
@Asylum (47313)
• Manchester, England
Oh yes, I am totally weary every day recently.
@peachpurple (10708)
@Asylum do try to rest well
@LilyBeBack (1705)
I've been on one of my long breaks and I'm really really sad to see that this is what you've been dealing with, I hope this mishap hasn't caused you too much worry on top of everything else xxx
@Asylum (47313)
• Manchester, England
It was horrifying at the time, but not too bad now that it is in the past.
@Shiva49 (9689)
That is indeed an unfortunate turn of events though not .that damaging. I do hope all ends well and the treatment is a success - siva
@Asylum (47313)
• Manchester, England
The problem does not seem to have been as serious as I originally thought.
@Inlemay (17336)
• South Africa
Shame - sorry to hear, its as if one had to go the difficult route, to get to the end . . .
@Asylum (47313)
• Manchester, England
At the time it seemed that everything was going wrong from beginning to end.
@Srbageldog (5567)
Sorry to hear that happened! Seems like it's been one thing after another. Hopefully it doesn't cause any serious issues or lasting damage to your tissue.
@Asylum (47313)
• Manchester, England
It seems okay so far, so I should be fine.
@Fleura (6225)
Oh how unpleasant! You can certainly do without those night-time disturbances just when you need rest to help with your treatment. I hope it has no long-term effects.
@Asylum (47313)
• Manchester, England
So do I, it was definitely not what I was hoping for.
@vandana7 (57515)
Aw...yes, you could certainly have been better off without it. I thought doctors supervise such things.
@Asylum (47313)
• Manchester, England
No, the chemotherapy is administered by a team of nurses. The nurses are very professional, so this was not anyone's fault.