The Silver Lining

The silver lining to any dark cloud is........ Yes it differs depending upon the dark cloud. Right now, many that are worrying about the pending hurricane coming, it may be a ray of sunshine or good news. To those lonely or depressed it may be a smile or a kind word from someone that they met. At the end of my (long) day at work today, I looked out the window. The sky was dark, and it was raining out. But....there was a beautiful rainbow and you could see the entire arch, none of it was covered by clouds. That was my silver lining to my dark cloud. The picture here is of my son and I taken at Port Dalhousie while he was in his first year of university. The silver lining to that dark cloud is that he now has an actual neat hair style and doesn't wear it long like that. And those "awkward" years of maturing are behind him, and us! Any silver linings to your dark clouds today?
This evening after two days of rain and thunder and lightening storms it finally stopped raining and I was able to go for a walk outside.
I'm sure that felt good, I hate it when we have days of rain and are house-bound.
@Juliaacv I don't do good being house bound. I have to get out at least once a day.
I guess the silver lining is tonight is football :)
Right, the season starts tonight doesn't it? I think that its interfering with my channel lineup of shows.
Only my weight loss results. That's one great silver lining. It's great you saw a rainbow. That's one thing I haven't seen this year. Good to know your son has a much neater hair style now.
Its shorter, but still long by my standards. I guess I just don't get it, I'm from another generation and neat and tidy is what I prefer. Here's how long it looked on his wedding day...
@Juliaacv I think it looks very nice.
@just4him I prefer his hair a couple of inches shorter.
The silver lining to this hurricane that's coming is having a couple of days with my husband being home with us! =)
Yeah, that's a sweet silver lining isn't it?
@Juliaacv Absolutely it is! =)
@LovingMyBabies Are you safe, I've been thinking about you and praying for your safety.
You have such a good attitude. Only good things should happen to you, but I know that isn't what happens. I hope things start looking bright and happy and joyful more often.
You look at things pretty brightly too. I remember how wonderful I felt when I opened the package you sent me last Christmas, even my husband was speechless and touched. Its all in how we handle things isn't it?
@Juliaacv Very true.
@AmbiePam I've said it before and I'll say it again-your Momma raised you right!
@1hopefulman (21408)
Nice that you always look for the silver lining. Looks like you are glad that your son has a haircut these days. It was raining here this morning but in the afternoon the sun came out.
A co-worker asked me to show her some wedding pictures that I had on my phone today-our son got married 2 weeks ago tomorrow. And she asked me why he didn't get his hair cut, so I flipped thru my pictures and showed her 1 of him taken last fall with his man bun-ugh!
@1hopefulman (21408)
@Juliaacv So after his haircut it was still too long for your friend.
@1hopefulman No, he went short for several years and then longer then before! His little nieces think that he's a rock star!
@Morleyhunt (17373)
My husband was able to "rescue" me from my long, long walk....when the storm approached. I could have waited it out under the shelter I found (another silver lining)....but hubby arrived to pick me up..
That was sweet of him, and I'll bet that you appreciated it! Silver Lining 1 Dark Cloud 0
@Morleyhunt (17373)
@Juliaacv I even managed to get an awesome photo of the dark clouds.
@Morleyhunt Yes, I just saw that on your discussion. What a great picture, isn't it amazing how great a picture we can get with our phones? Nothing like the first pictures those first phones took years ago.
@fishtiger58 (30611)
• Momence, Illinois
Yes both my sons have new jobs, and they are good ones. I don't have quite as much to worry about now and for that I am grateful.
That is a huge silver lining in your life. Its a good feeling when we see our kids going their own way and making it on their own.
@fishtiger58 (30611)
• Momence, Illinois
@Juliaacv It is a good feeling, I don't like to worry but I do, this has eased for me for which I am grateful.
I am glad you can always find a silver lining to lighten your day. I woke up in a grumpy mood today. I think it's the storm approaching.
I hope that the storm wasn't too bad, stay safe.
@Juliaacv Our storms are never too strong, but the wind is still blowing and it's pouring. It's cold this morning.
Yes I finally feel better after a week of something I caught.
I'm glad that you're feeling better, its a bad time of the year to get sick.
@hereandthere (25121)
i had a nephew who we didn't see a while and when we did, we were shocked at how long his hair was down his back. the next time we saw him, it was shorter, layered (and healthier looking in my opinion), but still long because they brush his shoulders.
I hope it doesn't surprise you with a rain or some thunder. It wasn't gloomy this but it was really hot.
• Nairobi, Kenya
My silver lining today is I received a morning text after a long week of not texting :)
Not today, no. But yay for that rainbow, for you.
@ilocosboy (34235)
Its the hope that people should be felt especially those in areas, and the love.
@kobesbuddy (23874)
• East Tawas, Michigan
A rainbow? No, I don't see one in this sky. Silver lining? Yes! My son ended up cutting his waste length hair, just before he met Kris, his future wife! She was attracted to Chad's handsome, neatly cut hair! LOL
Our son grew his hair long after meeting his future wife.
@kobesbuddy (23874)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Juliaacv The complete opposite of my son, Chad! LOL
Love the photo
Thanks, he was in the midst of final exams so he looks a lot less thrilled then I do.
@PainsOnSlate (19674)
I love Port and its not doing well for the businesses this year, too much construction going on in the park. Love the photo of the you and your son, All our kids did similar things when they were younger. My middle guy in his forties looks like a Lumberjack but he's a kitty cat...I think we are all worried about what is going on in the south, Its scary to think of people staying and that includes my SIL, and and her husband needs to stay to take care of their business - and old folks home.... Sending prayers to them... I love seeing a rainbow...
That park is beautiful and was such a little oasis for us to escape to when our son was living in his apartment in St. Catharines and he wanted to get out and feel the sunshine and get a breath of fresh air and walk thru the grass. We always did a little grilling out there and would have a little picnic.
My family is always my silver lining I guess. I do like life's simple pleasures. Tomorrow I will wake up and enjoy my delicious morning coffee and the view outside.
@cintol (1122)
No, none for me today but I am hoping there will be in the following week