SCARY AFTERMATH!

Pixabay image.
Disasters bring out the best and the worst of human nature and I personally have always been more scared of the aftermath of a disaster more than the disaster itself - more so when the ugly side of human nature rears its head. With Hurricane Irma gone and Jose on its way, residents of the island of St Martin are facing additional problems along with the devastation wreaked by Irma - looters are running wild. Businesses have been cleaned out and there are reports of people roaming the streets carrying guns and machetes. Resulting in the Netherlands deploying more troops to the island to help quell the disorder. This reminds me of some futuristic movies I have seen where a virus or natural disaster strikes and people are left vulnerable to the elements and scavengers. Let us hope that we do not see another Harvey , Irma and Jose this hurricane season - which, by the way, ends on November 30.
Yes it is scary. Although we taught my nephew how to survive, he can fish and hunt, I am not so sure he has the heart to hurt another human being. He is a very tall and muscles man, so maybe his size will be intimidation enough.
He lives in St Martin?
@Kandae11 St. Thomas
@andriaperry So, have you heard from him? Is he okay?
• Riga, Latvia
Yes, this year more then other I cannot wait until the hurricane season is over.
It is always such a relief when December arrives, unfortunately a lot of the hurricane victims this year won't be having much of a Christmas.
@cacay1 (32746)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
There should be no hurricane at all for Christmas won't be a meaningful one.It is closer from now. I hope everything is okay this time there in Florida, so sad, Carribean is so devastated.
It's sad that the islands are also in danger from Jose.
Yes, he is coming. Everyone from devastated Barbuda will be evacuated to Antigua.
@Kandae11 At least they have a place to go.
@cacay1 (32746)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@just4him, so scary, successive hurricanes, and so terrible and deadly. Let us pray for them.
@acelawrites (10931)
So scary and so sad. I agree disasters can bring out the good and the bad in humans. I hope those who will be affected by the hurricanes be safe from harm.
Unlike the united States , residents of the smaller islands have nowhere to run.
@acelawrites (10931)
@Kandae11 so true, same situation here in our country when disaster like strong typhoons strike. People have to bear the brunt of the strong typhoons/floods; of the devastated earth's wrath.
@cacay1 (32746)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@acelawrites, that is true, so scary and deadly hurricane.
It's sad that there are opportunists out there who take advantage after these disasters - sad to think that is the true color of human nature. This time the hurricane came in clusters - there will be a lot to recover from - I feel for the people who are out there!
Jose should impact those same islands in a matter of days.
yes,we need the hurricane to go away.Did I mentioned global warming?
Definitely the reason for these monster storms.
@Kandae11 buit they will not admit it.
Looters really are the pits. What a terrible thing for people to do - to prey on others' misfortunes.
I am just wondering where they plan to put the loot, with so many destroyed homes and another powerful storm on the way.
@Kandae11 That's a good point. Hopefully they'll lose whatever they've stolen.
Yeah I hope these will be the last of the hurricanes this year. So sad. =(
Yes it is.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, we are off to an early start. I had not heard of the looting on St. Martin. Unfortunately, that behavior is not uncommon. Are you in the path of Irma?
No I am not. Last year's Matthew was on track to hit us head on , but it took a different course at the last minute. All we are experiencing now is thunder, lightning and a bit of rain from the outer bands of Irma.
• Eugene, Oregon
@Kandae11 I am glad to hear that!
Yes its very very bad there right now Kandase.
I recall visiting there to shop for materials for my business - that was years ago..
@Kandae11 It is totally destroyed so sad.
@mysimplelot (1116)
• Asansol, India
The hurricanes are disastrous . I think Irma was greatest of its kind.
Yes it one of the five worst ever hurricanes.
I still believe there is more good than bad and, disasters actually show that many times, with everyone coming together to help.
That is so sad. I did not hear of this happening but I am not surprised as it is what happened during other similar events over the years :-(
It is worse this year, because of the magnitude of the destruction.
@quantum2020 (8884)
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
Lots of natural disaster this season. In my country, we had an earthquake today. Vandalism is expected too
I don't know why they do it when there is already so much sorrow.
@thelme55 (14348)
OMG! It is very scary to think of those disasters and experience them. Keep safe there.
The thing is these islands are so small - compared to the states - there is nowhere to run . Not many can afford to fly to a safer island. Can't do that with children and pets and cost of a hotel to consider.
@thelme55 (14348)
@Kandae11 OMG! Now it is more scary for me to think about. I hope and pray that all of you will be safe. God be with you
@cintol (5378)
It is so sad that these poor people have to endure all of this and then looters to boot. What is wrong with people now a days anyway, don't understand why they have to inflict more misery on those who are losing everything as it is.
The scale of the devastation makes it worse. I am just wondering where they will put the loot.
@cintol (5378)
Right!!! They can't carry it around with them and I am sure the pawn shops aren't operational so what do they do with it?? Good thought
@kobesbuddy (43724)
• East Tawas, Michigan
After Hurricane Katrina hit, looters were shooting at the policemen, who were sent to help stranded people!:( My nephew was one of those officers, who worked 24-7, some days!
Shooting at the policemen? Wow!
@kobesbuddy (43724)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Kandae11 Yes, that's the height of wicked behavior!
Lately it seems like there is one natural disaster after the other. They are very scary indeed.
Some believe we are getting closer to the end of the world.
@Freelanzer (8536)
My heart go out to those suffering from the aftermath of the hurricanes and earthquakes. Having never experienced a natural disaster, I try to imagine how devastating it must be.
Be very thankful for that.
Its almost incomprehensible what's happening with these storms
Unbelievable suffering - unprotected homes, no water no light . Darkness at night and there are bandits roaming the streets.