My bus trip adventure: I did it! I got there and back safely!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I am proud to announce that I left on the 12:45 bus to the library and came home on the 1:55 bus!! I learned how to pay on the bus when I got on the first bus and knew exactly how to do it on the ride back!! I had a good ride to the library, and it was such a relief not spending so much time to walk all that way not to mention the effort. I took the early bus home as I kept finding too many books i wanted to borrow from the library and could not possibly carry them all home! Unless i rented a moving truck LOL! I left after a half hour. i will be going back next week, probably on Friday! I did dress to warm, so was a bit hot even though it was quite chilly when I left the house. The library was very warm! I am home now nice and safe! So I will be going back to the library by bus!
My mom used to bring home a tall stack of books from the library. She would finish them all too. I was amazed. Congrats on make the trip both ways okay. Good for you!
That is great about your mom. My mom wouldn't bring home a stack of books, but she read quite a few books in her days. But during the last 15-20 years of her life, she never read. She couldn't even read the whole newspaper and would glance through it and ask me what the article was about if it looked like a good headline. I have been known to renew books one or two times, but I usually get through the book I bring home with renewals. I got three books yesterday so hoping i will get them done by next Friday when I hope to go back!!
@Marty1 .....I am a rather slow reader and I have had to renew a few also.
@celticeagle I can't seem to read fast, and it takes me some time to finish a book unless I spend numerous hours on the book to the exclusion of other things that I have to do. I am trying to fit in more reading time though.
I'm glad it all worked out well for you. It is very easy to get carried away with the books you want to read.
Thank you! It worked out well! I had the hardest time deciding which books to borrow. I agree it is not easy at all! I checked out three books and two audio books. I started a book last night from this library trip and am really enjoying it so far. I didn't get to read too long, as I was so exhausted and in bed sound asleep before the end of the afternoon news on the radio which ends at 7 pm.
@Marty1 That was an early night.
@just4him I like early nights! I tend to be in my room by 5 pm getting ready to sometimes do some my lotting and then reading in bed until bedtime sometimes between 6-7 pm Last night I didn't get to sleep until 9 pm as I went out all day with my sister. We didn't get home until 8:30 pm!
• Denmark
I'm sorry but I don't understand what is special about going by bus. I've done that innumerable times. Is it an adventurous enterprise in your country?
I was never allowed to do things such as going by bus when my mom was alive. I was not allowed to have friends or go places alone She kept me in the house, and I was not allowed to experience life. i want to have independence and freedom!
• Denmark
@Marty1 Well, in this case, all the best to you! Maybe the next step will be doing a Greyhound tour across the USA. :-)
@MALUSE What a great idea! I think that I would love to do that!
That is wonderful @Marty good for you .Glad that your home safe.Have good evening
Thank you! I am safe and sound back home. It went extremely well! I plan on going back next week, probably on Friday, the only day I think I am free next week! Have a good day today!!!!!
@Marty1 that is great to hear there.Who is Marty1?
@Marty1 so sorry.I did not realized this.Okay thank you for telling me this. Did you ever post a picture of Marty1.Maybe I missed it? Well I am so glad that you are with us.We are here to help or need in case.
I am glad you little bus trip went well. That is awesome you found so many books to borrow!
Thank you! I found many books to borrow, but only took home three books and two audio books!! The one I started reading is excellent!! I am hoping all the books I borrowed are as good as this one!
@Marty1 Oh you could have walked home with that little amount then it seems?
@shaggin It is a lot easier to ride the bus. I can walk if I really wanted to, but if the bus is available I am willing to go that way
• Lakewood, Colorado
You are the coolest @Marty1 I knew you would be fine..and oh yes, I understand about the library..so many books!!
Thank you! I never was called cool before! yes, the library is so hard to choose what I can carry home!
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Marty1 So much fun at the library but yes, so hard to choose from so many great books, I know what you mean. Well you are cool hahaWelcome dear friend.
@TiarasOceanView How can they put so many good books all in one place to tease me knowing i can't bring each one home lol!
Congratulations! Good job!
Thank you! Did you have a good sleep last night? I am worried about you not sleeping well. I plan on going back probably next Friday!!
@Marty1 I slept 6.5 hours so that was a definite improvement!
@NJChicaa I am so happy for you! I had a big sleep last night, too. But i have to take a high dose of an antidepressant that makes one tired. I am taking it for sleep, not depression as I have a different one for that! Hopefully, you will be back into a good night sleep in the future starting tonight!
@sallypup (18595)
• Moses Lake, Washington
That's exciting. I'm glad you took care of yourself and got on that bus. I'm also glad it all turned out so well. Good for you.
Very exciting I agree! It turned out so well, so I am happy! The best experience of my life!
@sallypup (18595)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Marty1 Go you!!
Congratulations, my friend!! That library is all yours now!!! Yippee!!!
I never thought of it like that!! I am even more excited now! I will be going back next week!
Glad you had a good trip and, found lots of good books.
Thank you! I found many good books but didn't borrow all of them! I checked out three of them and two audio books. I will probably be going back next Friday or the Monday after that!
I am glad you can now go to the library by bus. And where else might you go?
I can go many places! If i get on a different route, i can go to the mall, Wal Mart, the Dollar Tree.I can even go to Burger King, or Taco Bell if I want to go before my sister takes me. The places to go seem endless!
I knew you could do it without having someone accompany you. Good progress.
Thank you! I am very happy i got on the right bus and not ended up in some strange area where I have never been!!!
@velvet53 (14961)
• Palisade, Colorado
That is great to hear. What are you reading now?
@velvet53 (14961)
• Palisade, Colorado
@Marty1 When I get done with a couple of other books I will check into it. Thanks.
@velvet53 What book are you reading now? i am reading the M.C. Beaton book and another e-library book called Stuffocation, which is about the average person owning too many possessions and different ways others who have too many have chosen to deal with it
@velvet53 (14961)
• Palisade, Colorado
@Marty1 I just started Deadly Grace by Taylor Smith. It is a mystery type book.
@DeborahDiane (14230)
• Laguna Woods, California
@Marty1 - That is wonderful! You now have a new skill and you can use it in other situations. I occasionally take our local bus places, especially if I do not want to have to deal with traffic.
Is traffic bad where you live? Luckily, I live ina suburb of Pittsburgh so it is far enough from the city that traffic is not too bad. That is sometimes different in the summer as the whole western Pennsylvania is known for it construction areas that close down major traffiic areas! Most hate the summer construction season!
• Laguna Woods, California
@Marty1 - Traffic is light in my immediate neighborhood. However, special events like concerts, fairs and sporting events can attract very heavy traffic. Those are the times when we have appreciated our bus system!
@DeborahDiane I understand completely. I live in a suburb of Pittsburgh so traffic is not so heavy in my neighborhood either. But when Pittsburgh has an event, the traffic is horrible. I know I never go to those events as I have a hard time sitting in traffic. I have heard some events bring tens of thousands of people to the downtown Pittsburgh area.
@kobesbuddy (6517)
Oh my gosh, Jennifer! This is the best news I've heard, all day:) Good job!
Thank you!!! I am so happy about it even though it is a day later! Got a couple of great books! I started one last night,. There was so much excitement it wore me out. I was sound asleep before 7 pm last night. I slept very well most of the night! The book I started is great!
@Marty1 Glad you had a great trip and found some good books to read!:)
@kobesbuddy I love the book I started, but i might be biased as the author is M.C. Beaton one of my favorite authors currently!
Congratulations! It's time to celebrate, I was sure you would have been able to and come back home. Now you can feel more free to move around.
Thank you!!! I am feeling free and wild now! I am thinking of taking one of the noncredit courses that my local community college offers. I missed the fall ones I think, but they usually offer them for all the seasons. i will see when I get the next season in the mail. I can take a different route bus but shouldn't be too bad as the bus goes to the front door of the community college. I think it sounds divine! I may go to the mall too by bus myself for Christmas gifts!
@Marty1 It's great to have more freedom, little my little you can go everywhere you like.
@LadyDuck Yes I can get just about anywhere I like! My sister told me last night on the phone if I ever wanted to visit her house I can take a bus to downtown Pittsburgh and she would pick me up at the stop!! I think I may take her up on her offer one day!!! She lives past Pittsburgh, and I never want to visit as she has such a far way to go to my house to pick me up and I hate to make her do that even though she would willingly do it!
@Tina30219 (23076)
• Onaway, Michigan
Awesome job I knew you could do it. I am sure you will be busy reading those library books so you can take them back when you go and get more. Does your helper lady know you did it and made it both times?
I told her Friday when she called me to ask if she could come Monday instead of Friday and I told her, and she told me the weather is quite chilly to dress warmly. I ended up dressing too warmly lol! I put a sweatshirt and fleece jacket on, and it got way too warm!
@Tina30219 (23076)
• Onaway, Michigan
@Marty1 At least you dressed warm enough even if you was to warm. I am sure she was hapoy to hear you made it there and back safely.
@Tina30219 yes but i think i may have answered the question wrong My helper I thought you were talking about is the one teaching me to cook. I never heard back from the girl who was supposed to go by bus with me. My cooking teacher told me to dress warmly. Sorry for the mixup! i have not told the cooking teacher, yet I will tell her today when she comes to cook, so i will tell her Monday!
@PainsOnSlate (18554)
I love our library and I am there at least once every two weeks. Sadly I have to drive to the library, there are no buses in my small town. I could walk but its too long a walk for my sore knee.
That is great you go so often to the library! It is one of my favorite places in the world!!! I can't drive, or I would go to the library by car. I am glad you can drive there, so you get there frequently. I am trying for once a week or maybe a week and a half. I can understand about your knees as i sometimes have problems with my back and find it hard to stand at times, so that doesn't help with walking eight blocks each way if I walk. I have not attempted that in awhile. I fell once on my way back two times that day, o I am hesitant to walk all those blocks anymore. I have tremors, and they are in my ankles and lower legs which can cause me to fall easily. I am taking medicine for it but worry it will happen again.
@Marty1 I hope it get easier for you to walk, after I get a new knee, I know walking will be easy for me.
@PainsOnSlate Are you getting it soon so that you won't be in pain anymore? My dad had both his hips replaced, and it was so great how he had no pain in the hip area. My back pain isn't always there and gets better sitting. I sometimes bend my back if I am out shopping and it stops hurting for awhile then.
Oh I am so glad your trip was a success! Now you can go back often and borrow a few books at a time to read.
Thank you! i am planning on getting a few at a time. I don't have a lot of time to go more than once a week, so I am afraid it must be Friday or sometime on Tuesdays! As long as i get there once a week as my psychiatrist and i made a behavioral goal of me going there once a week by myself. So will try my hardest!
@Marty1 once a week would be a good start.
@ElusiveButterfly yes that is what I thought, My sister even told me this weekend i can go all winter as long as it is not too icy outside as I have to walk down four steep hills to get to bus stop and up them to get home.
Congratulations! I knew you could do it! I'm truly so happy for you and your new indepenence and freedom!!! Enjoy your new books. I'm sure you will be returning to that library by bus very often.
Thank you! I might go back Friday, but that isn't guaranteed as the news said yesterday morning rain on Friday. I didn't see the news yet today for weather but heard on the radio this morning that we aren't supposed to get any remnants to Hurricane Irma so that might mean no rain If so i will be going on Friday!!! I am all excited to go again!
@Marty1 I hope you can go as soon as possible!
@DianneN Thank you! i heard on TV just now we won't get much from Hurricane Irma so i think I can on Friday!