Religion!

So I was asked by someone to post a discussion in regards to my religious views. At first, I was a little weary on sharing anything on such a touchy subject for most people... but I was assured that the people of mylot will respect my views So here it is! As a child I was baptized Lutheran, but my family never really went to church. It was never forced upon me either to go. I grew up in a home in which I was highly encouraged to be a good and caring person, completely separate from religion. So I've lived happily knowing that I didn't need the idea of angels, a god, heaven, or anything else as incentive to be a good to others. I just did so out of nature. So truth be told, I'm not sure what the purpose of my baptism was. I don't pray, and I am honest in saying that I won't claim there is a god, or not a god until I am in his presence after my death. I also believe in evolution, that our itty bitty little planet is not the center of all life in the universe and that their is no castle on a cloud or a bearded man that is coming to save us.. many things that contest against most religions. So in essence, I believe in science and the things that make logical sense to me over religion... The one thing I can agree with is that our energy transforms into something else after we die. What it turns in to, or where it goes are a mystery, but it never dissipates.. so in that aspect, I am not completely closed off, and it makes sense for humankind to want an answer to what happens to us. I hope this does not offend anybody, I am simply sharing my personal beliefs, and leaving it as a topic of discussion. Please, tell me about your beliefs on religion. I am open to hearing all of your answers and will respect them all
@sabtraversa (12440)
Science alone doesn't satisfy me/us enough, at least not yet. I think you can embrace both science/logic and faith/spirituality, as long as you manage to never contradict the two. I like to see how some link science and religion, it's all about interpretation. I was born Catholic and baptized... for nothing, my parents are now both atheists. And I've been curious about Paganism. I guess I can call myself a Pagan, but I always try to explain the concepts of religion in a logical, scientific too perhaps, way. At least you didn't say you hate your name and plan to change it.
@sabtraversa (12440)
@Mr_Anomaly I agree and disagree with myself too. Well, religion has often been an excuse for starting wars and despise each other. It's hard to believe some people kill each other under the same god, just because they believe in a different amount of prophets. Energy is also contained in plants and animals. Then it probably gets back into the earth, or into our bellies. I like the idea of reincarnation, and I like to call it "recycling". The same way we inherit objects from our relatives, maybe we inherit energy too. It's no certainty, but plain theories. And science is made of theories as well.
@sabtraversa Isn't it strange how even science can be an illusion? Our brains are programmed to interact with this world based on what is necessary for our survival, but who says everything is exactly like how we perceive and navigate it. The idea of physics could all be an illusion, as well as all other branches of science and existence in general.
@sabtraversa (12440)
@Mr_Anomaly True. We need some sort of cardinal points, so I'm okay with the idea of everything we know or perceive to be an illusion.
@1hopefulman (25924)
You were told right. We have many divergent beliefs and lack of beliefs here. I have been here for many years and it has been a rare occasion when I had a problem with anyone. We respect people and their views even if totally the opposite of our own. So, I hope you enjoy being on MyLot! I believe in the God of the Bible and believe the Bible to be the word of God. I am working on respecting and accepting everyone to be my neighbor whatever their beliefs or lack of thereof! .
Then I have no choice then to respect you back, good sir! My brother is catholic, so it can be difficult to share some of my views with him, but he is very understanding and knows where the boundary of forcing religion is. As a result, I do not force my question of belief on him either. I suppose I have mixed views on the topic, I believe that the existence of a creator of all things is possible.. I just question whether or not it can be found in a human biblical sense or in the teachings of the bible. I analyze things a lot.. haha can you tell?
@1hopefulman (25924)
@Mr_Anomaly I commend you for analyzing all things. We should all do that. I find that most people here share their views and what they have experienced and learned without trying to force anyone to accept those views. If we all did that, then the world would be totally different in a good way. Have you read the Bible from beginning to end and in between?
@Kahl39 (1155)
• Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
I totally respect your views about religion not that I am pious to that extent nor I am sacrilegious about any religious intent. I was baptized Catholic and parent were very religious. But later stages they also stopped going to church but still continue their devotion up to this date sponsoring the feast for our fiesta, sort of annual religious banquet to honor the patron saint of our church. Now, I have started embracing Islam but it didn't even make even that religious. Just to be honest. I believe in the existence of God and the power of prayers though. A lot of good things happen to me, even the most impossible. But they happened. I believe they were the work of God. On the other hand, you don't really have to have a really to become a good man or a good person so to speak. We are talking of the objectivity and not the subjectivity here. What I mean what is a good person is always what is a good person to others. I don't think that killing someone can be good to any other living creature on the planet earth. So I guess you know what I mean. Churches or mosgues for that matter are the not the only places where good things are being preached or taught. Sometimes, our respective homes and communities even teach us more meaningful things in our life that you can never experience in the four corners of the church or mosque.
I'm happy to hear that we are on the same page, Eric. The thing I've noticed, is that I've seen an increase of people who act as a good person only because their religion dictates it... but if you take that away, they would be bitter and rude to others and selfish. In many people, you can see right through their religion to the person that they truly are.. and many times, it's not a pretty sight. I know not everyone is like that... but I don't think heaven, angels, god, buddha, or any other of the divine should be an incentive to be good, I think that people should already be good to each other before the idea of religion even takes a role in their lives. That's just how I feel about it.. I'm glad you are open minded!
@Kahl39 (1155)
• Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
@Mr_Anomaly I couldn't have agreed with you more. When you remove religion in their lives you can unleash the most devilish persona they can have. Some just act good because they are going to churches or mosques but in reality the most otherwise. And yes, I don't believe that people are already born good. No doubt about that. Our further life just depends on the environment we are living.
@Athinker (1506)
I think religion tells the way of life .its not only about god .it has so many other good things
True, but do you feel that religion is necessary to be a good person or general, or can one be that way without it? I have mixed feelings on the subject and would love to hear your thoughts! Thank you! -Mr. Anomaly
@Athinker (1506)
@Mr_Anomaly no religion isn't necessary to be a good person .but the person who knew the true meaning of religion will never go to wrong path .
@riverwild (1278)
I am not sure I believe in an afterlife. I was raised an atheist, and was one for 37 years. Then I had a religious experience, and my views have changed. I won't go into it in great detail here, but I definitely believe in a creator of some sort, although I'm not really sure what that entails.
I would love to hear about your experience. I have had a variety of strange experiences in my life. Not necessarily revolving around religion, but revolving around "outside sources"... you could in a way say our creators. Not sure whether or not you'll believe my details but I'd still be willing to share... maybe in a private message
@peachpurple (12355)
My parents took me to the church to be baptized and put me into a school ran by the nuns where I learn catechism, so that is how I know about God.