Pencils and markers and pens...oh my!

@CoralLevang (34497)
Well, I've gotten through the known boxes of pens, pencils, highlighters, markers and erasers, and here is what I'm keeping: -- 8 mechanical pencils, with extra lead and erasers -- 24 pens in 4 assorted colors, in ball point and gel -- 6 highlighters in different colors -- 6 permanent markers All of what I have listed above fits in these 2 jars. Next to it, you can see all that I am giving away. It is about two and a half times more than what fits in these jars. What I am keeping should be enough to last me for the rest of my life time. I have additional packets of highlighters untouched that I put in the giveaway box, as well as several packages of Post-it notes, labels, and all the things I mentioned in the other post. If the kids can't use it, then the teachers may be able to. Even in the small things, we can find progress! And I am glad to be able to donate what I went through today at the booth at the Farmers Market tomorrow.
I have a lot of those things still in boxes from the last move. I should bring everything to the local charity. (Without saying a word to my husband.).
@CoralLevang (34497)
My sister @sonjarae would do the same thing. Except she doesn't have a husband to account to. There are some up sides to being single, Anna! ;-) Did you ever convince him to donate the ancient computers to the museum?
@SonjaRae (5699)
@CoralLevang (34497)
@SonjaRae what? It's true!
@SonjaRae (5699)
That is good progress sister! I'm sure the donations will be much appreciated! I live the Wizard of Oz title vibe too!
@CoralLevang (34497)
I'm glad that SOMEONE got that inference!! Thanks, sis! I appreciate the chat this morning, btw. Now, just here to clear the only 14 notifications I got. Feast or famine here on myLot. Two weeks from now, it will be crazy. LOL
@SonjaRae (5699)
@CoralLevang haha! So true. Been there!
@CoralLevang (34497)
@SonjaRae so... Are you a good witch or a bad witch? *said in my best Glinda voice*
@poehere (15981)
• French Polynesia
That is a lot of stuff. I can't imagine buying all this stuff and storing in my home. I normally keep a few items here for me and when they are gone, I buy a few more. I have never had a stockpile of these items before. That is so amazing to me to see all these items in one place and not in a store. Wow.
@CoralLevang (34497)
This only scratches the surface, Ann. I have been journaling this process here (tagged "clutter" and "struggles" for about six weeks now). My sister @sonjarae is someone to whom I disclosed some of the issues I have had over the years. After reading something here on my lot about hoarding, and seeing some of the comments of disdain from many about the people who do, I decided to share my project and what is behind so many of us who "hold on"...What I have found most in life is that there is much shame and guilt thrown at people and they are told to "just do it." It's not so simple. There are reasons that even we don't always know. Since starting to share, there have been many people who have approached me publicly and privately that they, too, have some issues, but wouldn't dare be so open about it, because of the very reason of being shamed. I'm bold enough to look at the shamers and ask...so, what are YOU dealing with that is "less than desirable"? We all have our secrets, so to speak. I am glad that I started sharing openly, because it takes the wind out of the sails of the fear.... What you just said about the "stockpile...store..." I started laughing. I just had a convo with my sister @sonjarae about an hour ago, and mentioned that I am going to invite people over to shop for Christmas from my "store shelves" that I'm starting to get organized. I have about three big shelves so far in a walkin closet that people could buy some gifts. LOL Of course, they wouldn't see the value of the "gifts" because they will buy things that have a bigger price tag to impress than the simple candles, and ornaments and more (all new) that are on the shelves. If I had more people in my life with whom I exchanged holiday gifts, I could go without buying much. I certainly do not need paper, tape, bows, or packaging to send them! *laughs* AND I know where it is. I have been thinking of doing a special holiday project, that I haven't yet disclosed, as I'm trying to wrap my head around it yet. It's similar to a "Give 5" project that I did when I was in Persona Paper. Will tell that later.
@poehere (15981)
• French Polynesia
@CoralLevang You are the best and I enjoy reading your clutter stories so much. I know my mom's problem. She was born during or before the great depression when there wasn't much available. She also lived during WWII when they had ration stamps or coins to use. So now she is a pack rat.You are so brave to do this. You are even braver to tell us about it. Like you said there are many around who won't disclose their problem in fear of being talked about. I love your bravery and how you are attacking this problem. Keep on going and I will encourage you all the way. I love it when a person can face their worse fears, attack them, and move on. You are one of these people. I can't say this will get any easier as you move forward. All I can say is that you have made extreme progress and have gained so much. My hats go off to you in this adventure. I know one day it will end and you can sit back and have a good laugh. But for now, it is overwhelming and frustrating to do this. You are strong and will see this project through.
@CoralLevang (34497)
@poehere thank you so much. This is the kind of post that I really appreciate. And you've never been anything other than supportive. I have never heard a harsh word come out of your mouth about me or anyone else with this problem and that is heartwarming to me between you and my sister @sonjarae and a few others here, this keeps me going.
@dodoazo (6606)
It sounds interesting. Collecting those things, what for?
@CoralLevang (34497)
No, I'm getting rid of things. I've been talking about this for several weeks in the posts about clutter and projects and struggles
• Phoenix, Arizona
@CoralLevang I heard something once about throwing out or donating one bag a day. As for pens, I like using different colors and I bring them to work. Especially if they are purple but, I'm not the only one that does that.
@CoralLevang (34497)
@countryrose I don't know if I could do one a day or not. But good strategy!
Hope those pens, markers, and pencils found a new home and are enjoyed by the people who will receive these!
@CoralLevang (34497)
I'm sure that the children and the teachers alike will be able to use what I was donating. That is only a smidgen of what they got today
@CoralLevang You are kind. God bless you!
@CoralLevang (34497)
@allen0187 I dunno about kind, ... desperate and crazy, maybe? ... but thanks! LOL
Very nice of you to donate! I gave mine to my cousins too. I only need a couple good pens and thats all!
@CoralLevang (34497)
Well, I may very well scale what's in the two glass jars even more, but for now...this is it.
@CoralLevang 2 glasses is enough hehe!
@CoralLevang (34497)
@infatuatedbby one glass has black, blue, green, red, gel pens and ball points. The other has pencils, highlighters and perm markers.
@valmnz (12595)
• New Zealand
Wonderful you are donating what you don't need. A wonderful friend recently gave me about 20 pencils, knowing I writ a lot of my material in pencil before it hits the computer.
@CoralLevang (34497)
If it weren't so expensive to mail off to NZ, you'd get about 40 more! ;-) And about 10 pristine notepads, too! Thank you for the kudos. I appreciate it.
@sallypup (18769)
• Moses Lake, Washington
You'd have a field day at my house. Or you'd go nuts trying to figure what to throw first.
@CoralLevang (34497)
I'm have a hell of a time, as I shared in the other post. It's been kind of weird couple of days but there's a lot done compared to what had been done before. But there's still overwhelmingly too much.
I love school supplies, I have an issue with always buying them when I'm out and if they are cheap. And yet, I can never find a pen when I need one! I'm so proud of the progress your making and your helping others in the process which is amazing too!!
@CoralLevang (34497)
Thank you, Jennifer. I take it that you fared well, despite Irma?
@CoralLevang Your welcome. Yes we did okay. We just lost power for one day, nothing major. Thanks for asking! =)
@CoralLevang (34497)
@LovingMyBabies I know that those hurricanes can become very scary. I live through typhoons in Guam.
If my daughter and I combined the pens and pencils we both have we would surely have hundreds. That is not the colored ones she has. She has several adult coloring books and has pencils galore for that.
@CoralLevang (34497)
Oooh... I forgot about those. I haven't run into those yet. LOL
@CoralLevang ......Colored ones? My daughter has scads of them. What is a 'scad' anyway? About 30?
@CoralLevang (34497)
@celticeagle well, a scad is a type of fish, but I think scads are a large quantity of anything! Haha now that being said, for those people who like to be right about things would probably have a disagreement with you about the number that would make something scads of something, much like the difference between few and several!
@ridingbet (33428)
my brother often brings home so many black pens and pencils (BIC and Paper mate) and i usually give the pens to my colleagues and students for their afternoon duty (blue for AM, black for PM, and red for night shifts). but still there are plenty. i should request my brother to bring home blue pens instead of black.
@CoralLevang (34497)
Poor students!! They get black and blue at the hands of their teacher!
@ridingbet (33428)
@CoralLevang hahaha! no blues, because i should take all the blues.
@CoralLevang (34497)
@LeaPea2417 (12803)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I have a lot of pens and pencils too. I need to go through all of them.
@CoralLevang (34497)
They certainly can accumulate quickly!
@LeaPea2417 (12803)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@CoralLevang Yes, they do!
@SAM774 (1917)
good job ... such a good initiative
@CoralLevang (34497)
Thank you!
• Riga, Latvia
Well good for you. Nice organizing. I once went through my pens, pencils etc. Now I only have that which I need in a jar right by my PC.
@CoralLevang (34497)
Well, I have a few more than just what I need, but I am constantly loaning pens and not getting them back. LOL
@LoriAMoore (11875)
Every little bit helps.
@CoralLevang (34497)
That it does, Lori.