Donating Clothes

While going through my clothes, I came across an outfit I've only worn once. I bought it and wore it to my cousin's funeral, 6 months ago. It's crazy to think that he will have been gone 6 months as of 9/11. What's even crazier is that we weren't as close as I would have wanted but when I think about him, tears spring to my eyes and I wish that I could talk to him just one more time. And I really wish that someone has stopped him from driving that night!! As I looked at the outfit I wore, a simple pair jeans and a shirt that was his favorite color, I decided to donate it. I hope that someone else can get some use from an outfit that I can't bring myself to wear again. As a result of that decision, I've decided that one by one, I'm going to go through all of the dressers and closets in my house and donate everything that is not being used. So far, I have about 40 jackets and sweatshirts, 10 pairs of shoes and two more bags of clothes that people have outgrown. I'm going to donate all of it to a church up the road. They have a donation shed in their parking lot and the proceeds from that shed go directly to the church so I don't have to worry about some organization taking their cut. I will always love and miss my cousin. He was my family, my friend and my protector. I know that with time, the grief will pass but my grief is hitting me hard today. "Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal."
• Lakewood, Colorado
I am so sorry for your grief dear friend.
Thank you. I don't know why it hit me so hard today.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@CountryGirl31 It happens like that sometimes..I understand CountryGirl.. So good of you to donate too.
Love the last line that you wrote. By donating clothes, you are helping others.
I want to paint that one on a canvas for my aunt but I dont want to make her cry. By donating, I'm helping others and myself. It allows me to feel good and stop feeling sad and it's also cleaning up all the clutter that's in my closets.
@CountryGirl31 win-win-win for everyone involved!
@allen0187 Definitely!!
• Nairobi, Kenya
I am so sorry for the loss. :( You have also made the right decision to donate. :)
Thank you. I think it would do a lot of good and maybe help me to feel better. :)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@CountryGirl31 Yes it will help :) . you are welcomed
Your donation will do a lot more good that having your clothes just hanging in your closet and not being used.
We have so much just stuffed in closets that hasnt been used in years. Eventually, I'm going to go through the cellar. I know I have twin bunk beds down there that no one is ever going to use so I'm going to find a place to donate them. Pretty much I'm downsizing my whole house. If it hasn't been used in the last 3-6 months and isn't going to be used in the next 3 months, I'm getting rid of it.
@1creekgirl (7385)
I know your heart hurts. That's good you're helping others.
:)
What you did was good and your clothes and shoes would be useful to other peoplethat doesn't have it.
And its going to free up a bunch of space in my house. I had someone move out 5.5 months ago and they only took like 20% of their stuff. Whatever clothes they left are being donated and the rest is going to be stored in one of the closets that I clean out.
@prashu228 (20364)
Ohh so sorry for your loss. Yes the grief will be there for sometime, and we miss..
@JustBhem (17376)
• Davao, Philippines
And you are doing great.
@sishy7 (25555)
Sorry to hear about your grief... You've done well with all the clothing donations though...