Well, Ouch!

I have naturally curly hair. The natural waves combined with the natural curls are not to my liking at all. I prefer my hair straight. I do use a flatiron to straighten my hair, but I thought the ConairĀ® Infiniti Pro Straightening Brush would be worth a try. Well, ouch!!! That straightening brush gets really, really hot!!! I have burned myself three times with this straightening brush. Due to my lack of coordination and straightening-brush training, I have sustained 2 small burns on the back of my neck which have now healed a bit. I am pleased I have only burned my thumb once. I will get the hang of this thing eventually which will lead to being burn-free. My mother always said, "You have to suffer to be beautiful," but in my case, "You have to suffer to look half-way decent."
That's a big reason why I don't use a curling iron anymore, I would burn myself. It really does hurt.
I know. It usually takes me a while to get the hang of any new hair appliance.
@cacay1 (33199)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Susan2015, there should be another person to do it for you to avoid getting burn.
@cacay1 (33199)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Corbin5 , just let your curly hair wave beautifully.
I am so sorry i would have stopped using it at first ouch! Seriously, i hope you can start to do it burn free with next time you do your hair.I don't use anything but a brush on my hair at all. I remember I went out last week and realized when i got home that I forgot to brush my hair!
Hair really is a bother, isn't it. Oh well, I usually get the hang of things with practice.
@Corbin5 I am sure you will but hate to think you are getting burned. Do you use the sap from an aloe plant? That is supposed to be good for a burn? Maybe you can put on some next time you burn yourself. But I am still hoping you do not need to use it ever as you might not burn yourself again?!
@Marty1 I should get an aloe plant. I have an antibiotic cream I put on the burns. I will be very careful not to burn myself again, my friend.
Good advice there.Never heard of this one.She must have been a hoot.
She was!!
@Corbin5 great.We love people who are a hoot.
Oh, poor you! I hope you get the hang of that brush soon. Your mother and mine said almost the same thing. My mother said it hurts to be beautiful which is the same as suffering. lol
Yes, our moms did have that in common. Imagine all those painful things we have done to look presentable!! I remember sleeping on those large rollers. I will get the hang of that straightening-brush sooner or later.
@Corbin5 I used those nasty large rollers, too. I don't recall having a good night's sleep throughout my teenage years and into college. I know you will get the hang of using your straightening brush, but please try not to burn yourself anymore. Ouch!
My hair is naturally curly and thick, so it's tough to deal with. My ex best friend use to have to straighten it with a clothes iron before going over it with a straightener. Now it only gets blown dried straight at the salon, which still leaves curls.
We straightened our hair in high school with an iron. Surprised we did that without ruining our hair. I have thick hair too, and when I wore it longer in college, the weight of the hair helped straighten some of those curls.
@Corbin5 never ruined my hair either.
Sounds painful I am glad I don't have to do this.
Yes, for girls, a lot of suffering must be endured.
I'm sorry, ouch! Burns hurt so bad!
Eventually, I will master that thing!!!
@alberello75 (19261)
• Genova, Italy
Any of your discussions, I'm curious about wanting to see your face. Now I know you have curly hair Will this be possible for me once?
Well, I do not have any curly hair pictures since I straighten my hair. I will have to look for a good photo. I have a very young photo with my straight hair. Just pretend I look just like that young photo!!!!
@alberello75 (19261)
• Genova, Italy
@Corbin5 Okay, thank you, but how far back is this picture? However, I notice that you, already at the time, loved the dogs
@alberello75 I was a young teacher at the time of that photo. Many years ago. Yes, always have loved dogs.
Using a hair straightening brush as hot as that can indeed be accident prone, specially when you do it yourself. Take care my friend when using it. Do you know that frequent usage of the hot iron for hair straightening is detrimental for the hair. It makes the hair brittle and dry and the strand thin. Maybe you should have it rebonded at the salon. The straight hair can last until 7-12 months. My hair is thin now because I would always iron it when it is again getting curly as my hair is rebonded. When the rebonding wears off, I hate the curl. Makes my hair looks messy.
The rebonding sounds like a good idea, my friend!!!!
@Corbin5 Yes, your hair will look so neat and straight and will look younger. Do you have that in the US? Here it cost as 2000 pesos (US$40) or more.
@SIMPLYD Yes, a young teaching colleague of mine had it done, but here it cost $150.
• Uzbekistan
@Corbin5 @LadyDuck Hairdressers will survive all crises because women with curly hair want straight hair and vice versa.
Yes, most women are never satisfied with the hair with which they were blessed.
• Uzbekistan
@Corbin5 I am very satisfied with my hair and wouldn't want it to be different. Hairdressers love it, too. It's thick although I'm of advanced age and healthy although I've had it dyed for decades.
@MALUSE Mine is thick too. I have dyed mine for decades also too. My great-grandmother's hair was so thick in the 1800s, she would develop headaches from the weight of that then-in-style long hair. When I wore my hair long in college, the weight of my hair would help pull on those curls and waves.resulting in a straighter look.
@poehere (17680)
• French Polynesia
My hair is long so it is straight because of the weight. When I was small I had a friend with really curly hair. I loved her hair so much. When I was 24 I decided to get a spiral perm in my hair. I loved it because it was wavy and so full looking. My hair is thick but with this perm, it was really fluffy. I think people who have this type of hair are so lucky and they think that people like me who have straight hair are so lucky. Funny we never like our hair and what we are born with. Always want to change. Hope you get better with your brush.
Yes, I think most women are not satisfied with the hair they have. My hair is thick and heavy too, and when I work it long in college, the weight of my hair pulled on down on the curls and the curls were not as hard to handle.
@poehere (17680)
• French Polynesia
@Corbin5 I did cut my hair short once and it was out of control. I almost looked like a clown how thick and fluffy it was. I never cut it again. Well not really I do cut it quite a bit on the ends 4 times a year. One time I didn't cut it for almost a year and my hair was way past my knees. It was heavy and I normally kept it braided because it was so long. I got tired of it and cut it to my waist. It was much easier to handle then. At times my hair grows so fast it is down past my butt. When I see this I always ask my sister in law to chop it off for me and my boyfriend gets angry. He likes it really long. I don't mind I just hate sitting on it all the time.
@poehere Wow! You really do have extremely long hair!!! Yes, sitting on one's hair all the time would be frustrating, for sure.
Part of the problem is it is not letting air flow through..I use the vented brushes, no burning then
Well, I plug this one in and it heats up the ceramic part. The problem with it is that you have to pull the heated brush underneath the hair to straighten it. For some reason, that is tricky for me.
@Corbin5 Turn your head upside down and do it all from the back..flip back up and voila! It is all straightWish I were there to show you(hairdresser here)
@TiarasOceanView Well, I will give your advice a try, my friend!!! Never thought of doing it that way. So glad you are our wonderful myLot hairdresser on call!!!!
Oh... Ouch!
Yes, but I will master that thing soon!!
@salonga (27955)
I think we have have the same problem with our hair. Mine is wavy and I use ceramic iron to straightened it. I'm luckier for I have not burned my fingers yet.
So glad you have not been burned. I really have to pay close attention to what I am doing to get the hang of the straightening brush.
@salonga (27955)
@Corbin5 Yes, just be careful.
This does not sound to be a good product, I am prone to burn myself and I will not buy. I also use a flatiron.
Yes, the heated ceramic brush has to go under the hair rather than over it to straighten the hair. I will get the hang of that soon.
@Corbin5 Until now the only thing I found that works is the flatiron. I have waves, but I like straight hair too.
@kobesbuddy (57368)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Oh gosh, that hurts so bad! I've burnt my forehead, side of my face, my fingers, and even my hair, with a curling iron! Why? Because my hair is SO straight, it won't even hold any curl!
You and I have really suffered. I think with practice, I might master this thing.
@kobesbuddy (57368)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Corbin5 My hair is very long now, so any kind of hot roller gets tangled and it's hard getting them out.
You want straight hair and I want curly hair.
I know. Girls are never satisfied with their natural hair.
@Corbin5 No we are not.
@peavey (16866)
You sound like my daughter! She has curly hair and hates it, but she has it chemically straightened now and I haven't seen any damage to it. It saves her a lot of time and probably pain, too.
Yes, chemically straightened is something I have thought about, but I think I will get the hang of this straightening brush eventually.
@peavey (16866)
@Corbin5 I'm sure you will in time. You might not get burned, anyway.
@SonjaRae (4802)
Ooh hope you get the hang of it soon!!! My mother would have said "If God intended you to have straight hair, you would have been born with it!
Well, your mom is right. I wish I did get the straight hair like Dad's, but I got Mom's hair.
@SonjaRae (4802)
@Corbin5 I understand. We get, what we get!!!
I would not have the patience for that. It is also why I do not use hot glue. I am so klutzy and get burned easily.