Favorite City Songs #10 - "El Paso"

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Awhile back, @FourWalls did a countdown of her favorite songs with a city in the title. I've been meaning to steal her idea for some time, and now seems like a perfect time. Hence, my Favorite City Songs series. We'll begin, as always, with #10: "El Paso" by Marty Robbins. From his 1959 album, Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs, "El Paso" tells the story of a gunfighter that falls in love with a girl, only after gunning down a newcomer, he is forced to steal a horse and flee El Paso. However, his love is such that he returns, only to be killed upon arrival. To say that "El Paso" was successful is an understatement. The song hit #1 on both the Billboard Hot C&W Sides and that magazine's Hot 100, and won the Grammy Award for Best Country & Western Recording. My grandpa listened to a lot of country and western while he was alive, and I hung out with him a lot. "El Paso" was one of his favorites. A friend's dad also played a lot of Marty Robbins, so I heard it quite a bit, and whenever I hear it I look back fondly. The Grateful Dead was known to play it live, and it has been covered by several artists, notably Old 97's, Michael Martin Murphy, and was parodied by Homer and Jethro. Again, this brings back some great memories. Give it a listen and see why. (Info verified by Wikipedia)
This was the #1 song on the day I was born. But don't blame me, I was too young to buy records then
I should look that up for my birth date. Might be interesting.
@FourWalls (14123)
@teamfreak16 -- "He'll Have to Go" by Jim Reeves was #1 when I was born. I'm sure that has nothing to do with my love of Gentleman Jim.....
Great song I always liked this too and, my Grandpa loved country western too.
@FourWalls (14123)
"Goodbye Velveeta, whatever you are." (H&J's version) An absolute classic. My only complaint is Grady Martin's guitar playing gets too overbearing throughout the song.
It is some great guitar play, though.
@FayeHazel (18475)
I like those story telling songs ... I didn't know it was Marty Robbins
It's one of the all-time story songs.
@FayeHazel (18475)
@teamfreak16 I tried singing along once. Wowza that is a lot of words
@FayeHazel - That is a lot of lyrical content.
You reached back for a classic. I remember this from childhood.
Me too. I heard it lots of times when I was a kid.
Hey I know this old song!
I couldn't leave it off the list.