Ham and Beans

@velvet53 (15379)
Palisade, Colorado
For some silly reason in the month of September I have been craving ham and beans. So tonight I got busy and started making a pot. I wasn't paying any attention to the time when I put them in the pot. I can't climb up to get my crock pot right now. So I put the beans, ham and onions in along with some seasoning. As they kept cooking I kept adding more. I put tomatoes in and some bell peppers plus a little more seasoning. It is tasting pretty good but something is missing. I kept looking around and it dawned on me finally that I needed some jalapeno peppers. I tore the refrigerator apart looking for them then I remembered that I gave them to my daughter in law. I had a bowl but I will be getting some jalapeno peppers to add to it tomorrow. I made a big batch and will be freezing most of it.
@ilocosboy (31861)
Its good you made your own ham and beans, enjoy
@velvet53 (15379)
• Palisade, Colorado
Thanks. Do you eat ham and beans?
@ilocosboy (31861)
@velvet53 love it
@velvet53 (15379)
• Palisade, Colorado
@ilocosboy Do you like to add things like I do?
I love ham and, beans or bacon and, beans.
@velvet53 (15379)
• Palisade, Colorado
Bacon is goo too. I love chili and ham and beans.
We had a bad summer, the jalapeƱos peppers I seeded are still very small. I wonder if to take them inside.
@velvet53 (15379)
• Palisade, Colorado
I don't know if it would help if you took them inside or not. I went and got a couple of jalapenos today. Now the ham and beans taste a lot better.
@velvet53 If the temperature drops during the night, it will kill the peppers.
What does one do to seed a jalapeno pepper? Can this be done with any other type of pepper? i don't know if I ever seeded pepper as I don't know how it is done? If possible, i would like to try a green bell pepper as i think all the preparation for food is so much fun! i don't eat jalapenos as I don't eat hot things much! My mom grew them for my sister and her family especially because my nephew looked forward to picking them at each visit during the summer. He took them home, and they ate them willingly!
@silvermist (15807)
I do not like ham much.But even I was thinking it would have been nice to add some Jalapeno peppers.Hope you will add them to the rest of the portion.
@velvet53 (15379)
• Palisade, Colorado
I sure did. I went and bought some today. It sure made a difference. I like to use bacon at times instead of ham.
@silvermist (15807)
@velvet53 That is good.Always liked Jalapeno peppers.
@velvet53 (15379)
• Palisade, Colorado
@silvermist Jalapenos seem to liven a dish up. I love them.
I remember my mother making that, not with all the peppers in it, but definitely the onions, ham, and beans. She didn't do anything extravagant. Dad taught her to cook, so she was an okay cook, not the greatest. My kids say I picked up my bland taste from her. I'm doing my best to spice it up and make my meals more tasty. Your ham and beans sounds good, though I have a feeling it would be too spicy for me.
@velvet53 (15379)
• Palisade, Colorado
It really wasn't spicy cause I didn't have jalapenos. I had to add hot sauce to my bowl to make it taste right. Seasonings make all the difference. At least that is my opinion.
@velvet53 They do make all the difference.
@velvet53 (15379)
• Palisade, Colorado
@just4him They sure do.
Sounds so good. I like beans and ham too.Next month I am thinking.
@velvet53 (15379)
• Palisade, Colorado
I have been on a chili kick lately.
@velvet53 ......Good chili beans are so tasty. I love beans. All except the black ones.
@velvet53 (15379)
• Palisade, Colorado
@celticeagle I am not crazy about black beans but I have ate some foods where people use them and a couple of the dishes I really liked.
@sugartoes (33754)
• Greencastle, Indiana
sounds pretty good WITH OUT the peppers for me I made some the other day & hubby LOVED them.
@velvet53 (15379)
• Palisade, Colorado
I will remember that for the future. I just wish I would of had jalapeno peppers.
@YrNemo (7523)
Hope you have enough containers for storing them in the freezer. Sometimes I don't mind the cooking, but dislike that last step: put the rest away.
@velvet53 (15379)
• Palisade, Colorado
I sure do have enough containers. I don't like putting it away but someone has to do it. I did make up some bigger containers for my kids.
• Nairobi, Kenya
I have never tried ham and beans before but I bet it is tasty.
@velvet53 (15379)
• Palisade, Colorado
I lie them and as you can see, I do like to add things to it.
What type of beans? I like pinto but Tony likes butter beans.
@velvet53 (15379)
• Palisade, Colorado
Pinto or navy beans for me.
@minx267 (11219)
• Hartford, Connecticut
that sounds interesting. I don't think I have had that before.. I don't like peppers though. so I would have to skip them.. Are these baked beans?
@velvet53 (15379)
• Palisade, Colorado
No, I use pinto or navy beans. You should try it some time. You can use bacon instead of ham. That is good also.
@minx267 (11219)
• Hartford, Connecticut
@velvet53 mmm. sounds yummy
@velvet53 (15379)
• Palisade, Colorado
@minx267 They were.
@kobesbuddy (16771)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Wow, we haven't had a pot of ham with beans, in a long time! This sounds so delicious, but ours will be without jalapeno peppers:) Thanks!
@velvet53 (15379)
• Palisade, Colorado
Maybe it is time to make some. I added a little more to it and it is super good now. I am a spicy type person.
@kobesbuddy (16771)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@velvet53 My husband use to eat extremely spicy foods, when he lived in Texas. Now, his stomach can't handle that any more. I never could eat really hot foods, but he loved em!
@velvet53 (15379)
• Palisade, Colorado
@kobesbuddy My oldest son can't eat spicy food like he used to. Now my youngest son and I like to see who can eat what. It is fun to do. I think that I am ahead.
@responsiveme (14375)
Sounds tasty. I love peppers too .And green chillies I like bacon more
@velvet53 (15379)
• Palisade, Colorado
I have used bacon with my beans before and I like it. Now green chilies would work great too.