Made it Through the Hurricane

@moffittjc (35735)
Gainesville, Florida
Just checking in really quick to let everybody know I am safe and sound, and that I made it through the hurricane. I got called in to work at the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) last night at 1:00am, and so I've been securely working from inside that building. We lost power, and are currently operating on the back-up generator. We will be sending crews out throughout the city today to do damage assessment (once it is safe to do so). We are on the back end of what's left of the eye of the storm right now, so although it is not currently raining, the winds are really fierce. I have not had a chance to personally assess my home yet, but early indications from my neighbors are that it sustained very little, if any, damage. But there are trees down everywhere, so it is really hard to tell how bad we are hit until such time as we can get our roadways clear. There is rampant flooding as well. North Florida is not designed well to withstand hurricanes. In south Florida, the trees are smaller, and they have an abundance of palm trees, which can withstand heavy winds. In north Florida, we have tall pines and lots of oak trees. Those types of trees don't do well in hurricanes. Pine trees snap in half from the wind, and oaks topple over. We expect that most of our damage will be from toppled trees. One of the things we have to be careful of here in north Florida is the lingering after-effects of the hurricane. We have had one hell of a rainy season this year, plus what the hurricane added on top of that. Flooding is bad, and the ground is saturated, which weakens the root systems of trees. We will be dealing with falling trees for at least the next 2 weeks, if not more. I expect that we'll receive more damage 1-2 weeks from now than we did in the initial storm last night. I'll post more as I get a chance, and as I find out more information. For all those fellow myLotters who were in the path of the storm, I hope you are safe. For those that will be dealing with it today and the next few days, I pray that you remain safe as well.
@CinnamonGrl (5796)
• Paradise, California
I'm glad you are all right. I guess they're not expecting the hurricanes to reach up into the north. I'm glad to hear your house appears to be all right as well. Very scary stuff.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
Although it won't be a hurricane anymore, the remnants of the storm are going to make it as far as Ohio before it's all said and done.
• Paradise, California
@moffittjc I was thinking that when they built up there they weren't expecting it? I know these particular storms are expecting to reach far north.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@CinnamonGrl Florida is the most hurricane proof state in the country (although there's no such thing as being totally hurricane proof), but other states aren't so lucky. Our building codes are the toughest in the nation. The states farther north don't have as strong of building codes as we do, so their structures won't be as strong as ours. But luckily, the hurricanes lose most of their power before they make it that far north.
Glad you checked in. We are just beginning to get it here, raining now I dread the winds, like you we have big trees here and had a rainy year.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm looking at the radar now, and Alabama has some really strong storms going through. You guys are getting some of the stronger bands, especially in the northern part of the state. Georgia is getting hammered too. Please be safe!
@andriaperry stay safe Andria and hope the storm doesn't do any damage to any of your properties
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Marilynda1225 I hope she stays safe too! I hope the damage wasn't too bad. @andriaperry Can you give us an update? Are you okay?
Glad you and your family are well. It is good to see everyone from Florida checking in to let us know how they are doing.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
We're #FloridaStrong! We will persevere!
@velvet53 (15385)
• Palisade, Colorado
I am glad to see that you made it through the night. It is so sad all that is happening over there. Many people still have to deal with this and I do hope they are safe. I can see how the trees in your area will be a threat for awhile. With the ground soaked it wouldn't take much wind to cause them to uproot. Thank you for filling us in on so much about Irma. Be safe and I will talk to you later.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
Thanks! I appreciate all your thoughts and kind words throughout this ordeal. It has definitely helped keep me from worrying too much.
@velvet53 (15385)
• Palisade, Colorado
@moffittjc You are welcome. I am sure it was not a pleasant night for you and I hope things get better for everyone.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@velvet53 I'm just really tired, because I was up all night. Not sure when I'll finally be able to get some sleep, but coffee is my best friend right now.
I am glad to hear from you. Let's hope the worst is over, stay safely inside until it's not more than safe to go out.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm on the city's emergency response team. Unfortunately, I have to go out into harms way to ensure that we keep all our citizens safe!
@moffittjc Good luck, I hope that now it's over, but the big work of clearing the mess starts.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LadyDuck That is true, now the fun really starts! There is a lot of cleanup work to do. It's going to be a disruption to our lives for quite a while. But we will prevail!
@Platespinner (18563)
Glad your okay so far. Stay safe!
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I like how you said "so far." haha They actually say more people are killed or injured after the hurricanes because they go outside in unsafe conditions thinking everything is safe once the storm passes. There is flooding, downed power lines (and live wires), and trees still falling. People need to use common sense and just stay inside!
@moffittjc unfortunately common sense doesn't seem to be common.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Platespinner What is this "common sense" you speak of? I don't think I've ever heard of it before! Or seen it!
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
Glad to hear you are safe. I hope these storms die out soon.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I haven't seen the latest updates on the forecast, but last night they were projecting that the remnants of this storm would reach all the way up into Indiana and Ohio. Not sure if it will make it all the way up to Illinois.
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
@moffittjc I live about 10 miles from the Indiana border and 50 miles south of Chicago so far it's sunny here. Stay safe, I heard half of Florida is without power.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@fishtiger58 I'm in north Florida, where we didn't get hit nearly as hard as south Florida did, and even a week after the storm hit we still have about 10,000 customers without power in our city. So if it was this bad here, it must by 100 times worse in south Florida! My mom and my brother, who both live in West Palm Beach, still don't have power. And they are saying it can be another week to ten days before they get power back.
@dodo19 (28099)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I'm glad to hear that you're alright. Some places aren't designed for some things like hurricanes and such.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
Or...some places that were made for hurricanes weren't made for catastrophic hurricanes that are caused by climate change and global warming! Lol Sorry...had to inject a little political humor there! It's all Trump's fault.
@dodo19 (28099)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@moffittjc Lol. Of course you have too. Might as well blame Trump. Why not?
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@dodo19 Well, we have to blame somebody, right?
Glad to hear from you...continue to stay safe. We are expecting 50 mph gusts this evening and night along with rain of course.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
We still have 50 mph sustained winds right now, with higher gusts. Officials are pleading with everyone to stay inside right now, but everyone wants to go outside and see how bad the damage is. We still have lots of trees going down from all this wind. People need to be very careful out there!
@moffittjc You know from experience people will do what they want and go out not caring about what 'might' happen. I sure would not!
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@AbbyGreenhill That is true! People are out all over the place right now, even though emergency management officials asked everyone to remain inside and off the roads.
Glad you're safe. Sadly, I thought all of FL trees where palms
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
Haha, yeah that's how many people perceive Florida. And if you are in south Florida, there definitely is an abundance of palm trees. But pine trees and oaks are native trees to the state, and from about central Florida northward the state is heavily forested with them. We also have lots of sycamores, elms and maples up here in north Florida as well.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Courtlynn Lots of tall oak trees down it appears. Palm trees look relatively unscathed. Some pine trees down, but it seems most survived! haha
Thank you so much for letting us know you are OK. So glad you are there to help. Praying you and all others affected will be safe. Please be careful out there, my friend.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
Thank you Deborah! My spirits are greatly lifted by the love and support of everyone here on myLot
@m_audrey6788 (11509)
So nice knowing that you and your family are safe now. Wish you a great day today! Have faith always!
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
Thank you! I appreciate your kind words!
Glad to hear that you're okay. Was watching the news this morning and a crew was driving through your area and I could see how high the water was and all the downed trees. Hopefully your house didn't get much damage.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
No damage to my house as far as I can tell, but I have been at work since 1am this morning. Haven't had a chance yet to do a full damage assessment of my house. But thankfully my neighbors will be checking on everything for me.
@1hopefulman (20372)
Glad you are safe and thanks for letting us know your situation. Yesterday, I spent most of the day watching CNN. Hard to believe what Florida has experienced and will experience for many days. God bless!
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I think the real shock will start to be felt today as camera crews are able to get into damaged areas and take photos and video. But overall, Florida held up really well on this one!
So glad to hear that you are safe
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
Thank you!
@moffittjc Glad you are safe and sending prayers your way. May all be protected!
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
Thank you fine sir! We'll do everything we can from this point on to keep people safe and help them get back to normal life!
@Bensen32 (248)
Glad your alright, hopefully we see more and more people being alright after the storm.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I hope so. With so much advanced notice of this storm, people had plenty of time to prepare or evacuate. There is no reason for a big loss of life.
@dodoazo (11280)
You're doing well by volunteering to help those in need. You'll be blessed for that.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
It is my job to help people in need.
I'm glad everyone there is safe! That is the best you can expect I think!
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm glad everyone so far seems to be safe. We still have a lot of the city without power, and we still have lots of people in shelters. But at least they're all safe for the time being.
@responsiveme (14424)
Glad you are OK.Hope the place gets back to normal soon
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
We are do our best to get things back to normal as soon as possible. We couldn't do it without the help and generosity of people all over the United States who are sending help to Florida.