What is Wrong With People?

@moffittjc (35670)
Gainesville, Florida
EVERYTHING in my city is shut down today as a result of Hirricane Irma. Nothing is open anywhere, and rightfully so. We are still experiencing tropical force winds, which are expected to continue through tonight, and there is heavy tree damage and flooding. As I was driving around the city assessing damage with my emergency response team, we passed a closed Starbucks. Five people were standing in line at the front entrance, just staring at the door. I'm not sure if that's sad or funny.
It is rather pitiful to see that line of a few people. Humans are odd creatures who never cease to amaze.
@moffittjc (35670)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say that they were just really tired from getting no sleep last night due to the hurricane. I can't blame them for wanting coffee. I didn't get any sleep last night and I have been living off of coffee today!
@moffittjc I think that is the kind thing to do. I am sure most are just plain exhausted and are not thinking clearly at all. Thank you so much for your help with this disaster.
@cacay1 (32164)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Corbin5 , those people were hoping Starbucks to be opened.They were still on shocked, they need something to change their stimulus.They might also be weird for waiting and hoping that place to serve them when it won't happen because of the scary hurricane.Let us hope no more like that hurricane to occur in their country.What a scary world this time.
@KristenH (20399)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Hope you're safe and sheltered from the storm.
@moffittjc (35670)
• Gainesville, Florida
I have been working since 1:00am last night, so I don't know about the "sheltered" part, but I am safe! Lol
@KristenH (20399)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@moffittjc Oh wow Jeff. Glad you've survived the storm. Now you need some sleep.
@moffittjc (35670)
• Gainesville, Florida
@KristenH Not sure when I'll get a chance to get home and get some sleep. Let's just say that coffee is my best friend right now!
@louievill (16346)
It's either they need coffee that bad or they want to spend the hurricane inside Starbucks so they could record it and tell people what it was like in social media, yes what's it with people?
@moffittjc (35670)
• Gainesville, Florida
Well, the hirricane's pretty much over now, so it isn't because they want to ride out the storm. My thoughts on the matter are: 1. Addictions are hard to break. 2. People want to get back to a sense of normalcy as soon as possible. 3. Or, they have no power and wi-fi at home so they were hoping to use the wi-if at Starbucks! Haha
@louievill (16346)
@moffittjc the want to get back to normalcy is a positive trait and reaction so long they consider safety and risks, something out there might drop, fall or give way with just the slightest gust. Coffee and wifi are both addictions although wifi has more of a necessity side to it. Glad to hear that it has subsided now and you and your family are safe.
@moffittjc (35670)
• Gainesville, Florida
@louievill I totally understand everyone wanting to get back to normalcy as soon as possible. And I also understand that many people did not get a wink of sleep last night.
Id say its both, but more funny.
@moffittjc (35670)
• Gainesville, Florida
They must have a pretty bad addiction to coffee! Either that, or they need Starbucks' wi-go because they have no power at their houses!
@moffittjc or both.
@Elizaby (3403)
• Pensacola, Florida
@moffittjc With most of the area without power unless Starbucks has a generator they are without luck on coffee or the wi-fi
@FourWalls (9920)
I was watching the coverage from various Florida TV stations (including my old favorite, WESH [back when I lived there, that is]). I think sad is more appropriate. People should be thankful they're still alive, but instead they want a magic button to be pressed and everything's back to normal. It doesn't work that way. We lost power in Louisville twice within five months (Hurricane Ike's remnants and an ice storm), and between the two I think everyone in the city lost power at least once. My power was off for a week after Ike, but I was thankful that it was in the relative comfort of late summer/early fall than having to be without electricity for a week in 25-degree weather. But I'm of the opinion that there are people who will complain about anything. Give them the world on a silver platter and they'll ask why it's not gold.
@moffittjc (35670)
• Gainesville, Florida
I had a friend of mine went on a lengthy tirade on Facebook today because her wi-fi service wasn't working. I mean, there are people who lost their houses, their cars, everything of value in their lives, and she's worried about her stupid wi-fi. I'm usually a pretty laid-back guy, but I had to put her in her place today on that one.
@pgntwo (21710)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Funny or sad, not sure which...
@moffittjc (35670)
• Gainesville, Florida
It's a little of both.
@spaceseed (2925)
I really don't know much about present situation but as hurricanes are frequent in US, such reaction is unprecedented
• Lakewood, Colorado
Its mind boggling. Thanks for your work Jeff.
@moffittjc (35670)
• Gainesville, Florida
Thanks. So far so good. Lots of trees down everyone, but so far we have only found two downed trees that have crushed houses, and both houses were unoccupied at the time. Still 42,000 customers without power, but utility has every lineman possible out working on the lines.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@moffittjc Thanks for the updates too Jeff.
@cacay1 (32164)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@TiarasOceanView , yes my friend, mind -blowing and twerking for some apps.
@singhisback (2255)
• Jalandhar, India
My prayers are with you all my friend.
@poehere (17840)
• French Polynesia
They probably don't have any electricity in their home and they wanted come coffee. I do feel sorry for them.
@Bluedoll (16823)
Have you ever had a Hemingway Coffee?
@moffittjc (35670)
• Gainesville, Florida
I wanted coffee too, but I was smart enough to know that Starbucks was closed during the hurricane! And even if I didn't know they were closed, there was a big sign posted on the door!
A bit of both I guess!
@moffittjc (35670)
• Gainesville, Florida
I agree! It is probably a bit of both!
@Freelanzer (6459)
Perhaps the storm left them dazed and confused
@moffittjc (35670)
• Gainesville, Florida
It is true that catastrophic events can leave people shell-shocked. It is totally possible they were in a daze this morning.
• Rochester, New York
Oh wow... Why would they expect the place to be open in the first place? Geesh!
@moffittjc (35670)
• Gainesville, Florida
I understand why people expected them to be open, because I certainly was searching all over the place today for anything that was open so I could get coffee or a bite to eat while I was out in the field working. Luckily, we found a Waffle House that was open!
• Marion, Kansas
That is something I would expect to read on the "Not Always Right" website.
@prashu228 (22864)
Standing in front of the shop, are they addicted or they thought they might open the shop
@moffittjc (35670)
• Gainesville, Florida
I think that they were hoping they would open the shop.
Sad. Just sad.
They couldn't make coffee at home, seriously!!!
@Deepizzaguy (7591)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
It is sad to know that five people stood outside a Starbucks that was closed due to Hurricane Irma. They could be homeless people.
Thanking you for being there when so needed!