News from Florida

Our neighbor has been watching our condo in Florida, since we left last April. Bless him, although his job has been easy up until now. He called days before Irma hit to find out if there was anything he needed to do for us. We always close the storm shutters and remove everything from the lanai. Nothing else to do. My husband told our neighbor to take our high powered flashlight and charger and transistor radio, and told him to buy candles. Good thing, too! We are one of the 7+ million people without electricity. Our building has hall and lobby generated electricity. Our neighbor can't make phone calls, but can text us and charge his phone and flashlight in the lobby. There was no flooding or erosion to our property on Intercostal. The old concrete building survived. The only damage was to our car cover, which the winds shredded. All is good for the moment. My only huge concern is for Orville, the osprey, and his family. I hope he survived and will be there to greet us in December. I hope all is well with all my Florida myLot friends, as well.
Oh yes, I am worried about Orville too. I hope he is there when you return. My brother-in-law and his wife stayed in Naples in their condo in a CAT 5 building, but cannot contact them. Not sure about our niece in Orlando either, but I know family in Lake City, Florida will not be hit that hard. So glad to hear your building survived.
Orville still is on my mind. Did you try texting? That is the only way we can keep in touch with our neighbor. Perhaps they lost the charge in their phones. I'm hoping that they are all okay and safe. We were a bit concerned that the old concrete building would be undermined by the Intercostal. I think we lucked out because it wasn't high tide. Let me know how your family makes out.
@DianneN My husband will text this afternoon. He tried last night, but no luck. My mother-in-law lives in Lake City in her own home, but both brother-in-laws and their wives, as well as our niece and her family, live in the same neighborhood as Mom. I worry about her the most. All have in ground pools, and I keep thinking the pools will overflow and flood their homes. Will definitely let you know how all fared. Worried about our Naples and Orlando family. Our nephew and his family live in Miami, and we haven't been able to contact them yet. Thanks for your concern, dear friend.
@Corbin5 You certainly have a lot of family to worry about and spread out all over Florida! I honestly don't think a pool would overflow and flood their homes, but if so, that can be dealt with quite easily. I'm sure you are anxious to hear from them all. You can always PM me anytime. I know how worried you must be, but I'm sure they are fine, and will blame the worry on the power lines. 7+ million without power. Just awful!
Is the picture Orville? I am so glad it wasn't worse for your condo as i was worrying about it
Yes, that's Orville spying a fish. Thanks. We were very lucky.
@DianneN Orville is pretty good looking! are you anxious to see him again this winter?
@Marty1 I love him as much as you love Marty. I pray he's alive.
Glad to hear all is well with your condo, I do hope that Orville the osprey and his family are fine and will be there to greet you upon your return.
Thank you. We are so grateful! I can't understand how any light creature could possibly survive those horrendous winds and rain. I pray Orville is okay. I love him as much as I love Doodles.
@DianneN I know you do, I feel bad day for all the creatures during these terrible storms.
Oh I hope Orville is okay. I'm glad everything else is okay with your condo.
Me, too! How are you charging your phone?
@DianneN In our truck we have a charger. Thank God!
@LovingMyBabies Thank goodness! At least you don't need it now!
everything sounds great there.who is Orville the osprey?human or animal.
Orville is the raptor in the photo. He's my pet away from home.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Good news then Dianne..yes poor Orville, hope he will be back to you.
I hope so, too.
Thank God you were spared any major damage. Sadly, the people of Houston are not so fortunate.
Very sad, indeed.
@moffittjc (31758)
• Gainesville, Florida
Hopefully Orville fared pretty well. I saw two magnificent red-tailed hawks this morning on one of our baseball fields, so I know that it wasn't all bad for the birds! And there were some beautiful egrets in the lake in my back yard (where no lake should exist), and finally, two squirrels were playing chase with each other on the tree in my back yard. So I think most of the animals did well. I am going to think positive and think that Orville is okay!
Thanks, Jeff. That is heartening. Sorry about the lake in your backyard. I hope that's the worst of it.
@moffittjc (31758)
• Gainesville, Florida
@DianneN That "lake" got pretty close to my back patio, but thankfully didn't cause any flooding concerns for me. But it was close. I was very fortunate during this hurricane, as I did not sustain any damage whatsoever at my place.
@moffittjc That's what I wanted to hear! We are both very lucky!!! You must be exhausted from everything! Do you have electricity?
@Yadah04 (2790)
yeah, saw the news and it is very sad to see the plight of the people in FLorida.
The USA has had its fill with hurricanes and fires this year. Thank you!
@Yadah04 (2790)
@DianneN I guess USA is not alone in experiencing disasters. My country experinced series of disasters this year as well.
@Yadah04 So I've heard. Mexico just had a major earthquake. Sigh....
@poehere (15721)
• French Polynesia
I am happy to hear your condo survived. I was just thinking about this yesterday. I was wondering if you would be heading to Floridia this year or not. I am glad to hear that nothing of yours was damaged. Hopefully the electricity will be back on soon.
Thanks so much. If the electricity isn't on within the week, we run the risk of mold damage. Ugh! Our neighbor will open the hurricane shutters and the windows.
@poehere It would be a daunting task! He is a super nice guy. I am planning to give him a Whole Foods gift card. He is a health nut and doesn't drink either. Shame on him! Lol!
@poehere (15721)
• French Polynesia
@DianneN This sounds fantastic and I am sure he will use the gift card to buy all his health foods he eats.
@sunrisefan (16606)
It's good you have that kind of neighbor, Ms. Dianne. You're lucky too that you and your family were not there during irma's rampage. Been praying for the people of Texas, Florida and Mexico that they will pull through these calamities.
Thank you. Our neighbor is just wonderful! Yes, many were much worse off and lost their lives from hurricanes and earthquakes.
@sunrisefan (16606)
@DianneN The consolation is that Irma slowed down a bit as it plowed through Florida. Hope the people, especially whose home were damaged, will recover soon. Climate change has really wrought havoc.
@sunrisefan Climate change is showing its teeth here. Thanks for your concern. It's much appreciated.
Glad there wasn't damage.
Just our special car cover, but thank goodness that's it!
@DianneN yes but thats nothing compared to what could've happened
@Courtlynn Don't we know that. We are literally feet from the Intercostal. Here is a photo taken from my bedroom window. I don't think I knew you when we were last there. The Atlantic is on the opposite shore behind the buildings.
@KristenH (18352)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Hope the osprey makes it out okay. So glad you're safe in the dark and make it out okay.
I'm up in Connecticut, safe and sound. My main worry is that poor Orville.
@KristenH (18352)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@DianneN My bad. Forgot about that Dianne. I hope he's okay.
@KristenH No problem.
I am glad that your property suffered no damage - and something tells me that Orville will know how to keep his family safe.
Thanks! Just a bit of debris. I hope you are right about Orville.
@DianneN I remember one occasion when a really big hurricane was just two days away from my island And even if we didn't have the benefit of weather forecasts we would know something was wrong - there were hundreds of birds in the sky seemingly migrating.
@Kandae11 That is amazing! Animals must sense these things.
@JustBhem (13577)
I haven't heard the news yet about the storm in Florida. But I saw pictures and videos of Enrique Iglesias driving in Florida with flood surrounds him and some trees. I hope all is well there now.
They are in the process of cleaning it up and getting the electricity back now. We were so lucky to escape flooding. Thank you!!!
@JustBhem (13577)
@DianneN I see, well thank God.
@gilggg (2631)
• Israel
It's great news to heard from you, hope your Orville and his family survivve and will greet you on December
Thank you so much!!!
@gilggg (2631)
• Israel
I had thought about your place in FL - and Orville too! I'd like to think animals know how to take better care of themselves during weather extremes - more than humans - so I sure hope he and his family are ok!!!
Thanks so much, and I hope so, too.
@mandala100 (23565)
@DianneN It's nice to hear again from you my friend. I hope that you have a nice day.
Thank you. It's good to finally sit down and relax on myLot.
@mandala100 (23565)
@DianneN That's awesome to hear my friend.
That is good news, everything is okay. I hope Orville and his family is okay too
We are hugely relieved. Orville is my big worry. Thank you!
@DianneN Yes, I really do hope Orville found a nice shelter to hang out. I hope he and his family is okay.
I am glad your ho me in Florida survivedr anid s okay
Thank you!