My Overall Observations About the Hurricane Irma Experience

@moffittjc (34768)
Gainesville, Florida
Although Hurricane Irma has come and gone in Florida, the past week was a whirlwind of unknowns as we tried to sort through the myriad of information that was being thrown at us regarding the hurricane. Here's my summary of the past week: Before the storm hit: we are certain that there is a hurricane. It will be somewhere between a Category-1 and a Category-5 when it makes landfall. We expect that it may or may not bring rain to all, or some, of Florida. It may rain anywhere from .001 inches to 10 feet. We are certain that everybody should evacuate, but we may or may not want you to stay because there is or there isn't gas. The moment of impact: we are confident that the hurricane will impact none, or all, of Florida. We are certain it will come ashore on the east, northeast, center, west, or northwest side of the state. We are certain that landfall will occur on either Saturday, Sunday, or Monday, but are not ruling out Tuesday as well. Technology: we have all downloaded an app to our cell phones that allow us to use them as walkie-talkies, but the app may or may not work. We may or may not need cell phone data or wi-fi for the app to work. During the storm: there may or may not be a storm surge. Either the storm is going to suck the water out to sea, leaving our shorelines dry and bare, or it is going to flood us with a surge of one to ten feet. We are absolutely certain where the eye of the storm will go, although it could go to the left or right of that. There could or could not be severe wind damage. If the storm is on the left side of the state, we are certain the right side of the state will feel the worst effects, but maybe not. Future track of the storm: upon leaving Florida, we are certain that the storm will curve to the right and head toward the Carolinas, so we are certain that the people of those states should evacuate to Georgia, but the storm may or may not also curve to the left and head toward Georgia or Alabama. What's next: Hurricane Jose may or may not impact Florida. It may or may not be a hurricane when it does or doesn't strike Florida. In short, we were prepared for all of the above, and we will be just fine!
@SonjaRae (5794)
I think you have a future new career as a Meteorologist, or in Emergency Management! You nailed it!!! May or may not!
@moffittjc (34768)
• Gainesville, Florida
Haha, I could have a bright future as a forecaster. Maybe I should work for Emergency Management. I certainly would have lots of fun with it! All joking aside, our emergency response officials and government agencies did an amazing job preparing us for this catastrophic storm.
@SonjaRae (5794)
@moffittjc I understand. But I too hate the may or may nots
@moffittjc (34768)
• Gainesville, Florida
@SonjaRae Well, then you understand how 20 million of us Floridians felt! We may or may not have slowly been going insane from the back and forth information we were receiving! haha
• Lakewood, Colorado
Thanks so much for this update Jeff..You are doing such a grand job my friend. Yes Mother Nature is forceful, powerful, and sometimes unpredictable. I hope that the further up these hurricanes go that the people will indeed evacuate.
@moffittjc (34768)
• Gainesville, Florida
This was more of a recap of the past week than it was an update! haha
• Lakewood, Colorado
@moffittjc Its good for me either way Jeff..you are on the ground looking at it so...
@moffittjc (34768)
• Gainesville, Florida
@TiarasOceanView Yes, unfortunately I have been in the thick of it, so to speak. Wish I was up in the mountains of Colorado right now! lol
• Denmark
'Your word in God's ear' as the Germans say.
@moffittjc (34768)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm not quite sure what that means, but okay, sounds good to me!
• Denmark
@moffittjc You've written, "We'll just be fine." 'Your word in God's ear' means that whoever/whatever is there watching us from above may hear it and act accordingly. Or more profane: May your wish be fulfilled!
@moffittjc (34768)
• Gainesville, Florida
@MALUSE Oh, thanks for the explanation! That makes a lot more sense now!
You are prepared ! I hope Jose calms down too. I haven't followed the storms, I did watch some live activity on YouTube though. Glad you're safe
@moffittjc (34768)
• Gainesville, Florida
Jose is going to be nothing more than a nuisance to the New England states, but nothing dangerous or catastrophic. We do have to keep an eye on Maria, although the forecast models all seem to be in agreement with each other that it won't hit Florida.
@moffittjc Yeah i just saw Maria is going to a Category 5! I wonder how they come up with these names for the hurricanes! Puerto Rico is getting hit hard!
@moffittjc (34768)
• Gainesville, Florida
@infatuatedbby There is a United Nations committee in Geneva, Switzerland that comes up with all the storm names every year. I never knew that, so I had to look it up!
@Srbageldog (4894)
Sounds pretty typical of the news! "This [insert event here] shouldn't have much impact on you, but you may or may not lose everything, including your life!" When our area had to evacuate nearly 200,000 people in February, we couldn't get a straight answer on whether our town was supposed to evacuate or not. Sutter County was under mandatory evacuation orders, but Yuba City was not...but Yuba City is part of Sutter County...if you called one number they said yes, you HAD to evacuate...but local law enforcement wouldn't say if it was mandatory or not. Lots of unnecessary confusion and widespread panic ensued!
@moffittjc (34768)
• Gainesville, Florida
That's what usually happens when governmental agencies don't communicate with each other. You get mixed information. There are nine cities and towns inside our county, and they all have an agreement that in a state of emergency, the county takes charge of everything. That way, there isn't confusion among the county and the nine different cities/towns about what information should be disseminated.
@moffittjc That's the way it should be. A lot of people were angry over how things were handled back in February, but I have no idea if they've come to a solution to fix it.
@moffittjc (34768)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Srbageldog They're probably too busy arguing with each other over what the solution should be to fix it! Haha
I think you just about covered it all (and apparently "they" did too )! It's one thing to hear it from this side of the country - and it's another hearing it while having to live through it!
@moffittjc (34768)
• Gainesville, Florida
We didn't need all them forecasters to help us out...us Floridians know how to take these storms seriously! Once they announced there was a "possibility" this storm could hit Florida, most of us sprang into action to prepare.
@moffittjc From here, as we don't go through hurricanes and storms of this scale, it sounded super SCARY as heck (well I'm sure in certain places it really was scary). But yes, who are we to ever doubt the Floridians who can look at these hurricanes straight in the eye . . . you got this!
@moffittjc (34768)
• Gainesville, Florida
@much2say Don't worry, it was super scary for us Floridians too! haha
@CoralLevang (39862)
I hope that everyone is safe from Irma. It's caused enough issue already.
@moffittjc (34768)
• Gainesville, Florida
Well, we made it through Irma safe and sound. Now, let's hope we don't have to this all over again with Maria.
@CoralLevang (39862)
@moffittjc I have not been looking at any of the reports here online, and I don't have Television right now. I hope that Maria leaves you guys alone!
@moffittjc (34768)
• Gainesville, Florida
@CoralLevang Don't worry, we're safe from Maria!
@Platespinner (18095)
I've always found watching a hurricane approach much like watching a train wreck on slow motion. It had the potential to be horrible, but there's also the chance that the car on the tracks will pull away just in the nick of time. It's impossible to look away..... It seems my wee plastic head must have had a precious existence somewhere; most of my life experience has occurred on the last month or so....
@moffittjc (34768)
• Gainesville, Florida
I wonder if you change heads if that changes your memories of the past?
@moffittjc that's a disturbing thought.
@moffittjc (34768)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Platespinner But have you tried it yet?
@kobesbuddy (16957)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Your job is hard, trying to determine what to do, what not to do, or which way to turn!
@moffittjc (34768)
• Gainesville, Florida
We've had a game plan since before the hurricane, and we have been following the plan perfectly . It is very difficult, especially when so many thousands of people are without power.
@kobesbuddy (16957)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@moffittjc Actually, only the power company can make that issue disappear.
The Boy Scout motto "Be prepared," certainly fits Florida!!!
@moffittjc (34768)
• Gainesville, Florida
I still live by that motto to this day!
Big headache. Thanks. Lol
@moffittjc (34768)
• Gainesville, Florida
Yeah, you think you have a big headache? Think about how 20 million Floridians felt over the past week! haha
@bluesa (11913)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
You have certainly had to contend with a lot, and yes I can see from how this was dealt with that you all were prepared and will be fine for just in case @moffittjc .
@moffittjc (34768)
• Gainesville, Florida
Well, our last major hit was in 2004 when we had three back-to-back-to-back hurricanes hit. We were woefully unprepared for one hurricane let alone three. Prior to the 2004 storms, we hadn't had a hurricane hit our city since 1985. And we had brushes with two hurricanes last year, Hermine to our west, and Matthew to our east, which was our wake up call that we needed to do more to be ready for these monsters.
You pretty much summed this up as a weather expert Maybe you should think of a career change??
@moffittjc (34768)
• Gainesville, Florida
Meteorology...the only profession where you can be wrong 50% of the time and still keep your job!
Fortunately with all that precise information I am sure you dealt with the situation with absolute equanimity. Clear as mud, which may or may not be a side effect.
Quite a lot of possibilities there - but much better to be safe than sorry.