Series Premier Review - The Orville

Green Bay, Wisconsin
During the Packers/Seahawks game there was a commercial for the premier of The Orville. Now I like Syfy, and space shows and movies. I'm not into sitcom which is what this definitely was, so I wasn't sure how I would take to this new series. The commercials made me think of Star Trek, a very good show as we all who are Trekkies know. However, there is a departure from the drama of Star Trek to the questionable humor for The Orville. It seems the creators have a thing for body part humor. I found that a bit distasteful. Setting aside the bad humor, the show does have some merit. It does have a Star Trek essence about it. It does have a robot that sounds an awful lot like Data. There's a character who can defy gravity like Superman. There's a character who is a one gender species. And then there are normal humans. It does have the typical hostile alien that needs to be shown its place in the battle of good versus evil. The take down was dramatic. I give this series a 3/5. Not good, not bad. Right in the middle. For those of you who like comedy, and syfy space comedy, you will like this show. Right now I'm still up in the air about whether I will be watching it next week. It airs at 7 PM Sunday on Fox.
We saw the first show and have not decided yet if we like the show are not. We will watch it again next week to decide if we should record it or not.
Do you record all your favorite shows also? I always watch things on my DVR that i tape throughout day and night! I seldom watch my shows when they air for the first time!!!
@jstory07 That's my thought on this exactly. I'm still up in the air on this one.
@Marty1 I record them if there's a chance I won't be able to see it when it airs. I did this one, because I knew a friend was calling after the game ended and she did. So I was able to watch it when the phone call ended.
@ElicBxn (60895)
I find The Orville an entertaining show. Sure it has some humor, but its the kind of humor that real people use to get by in life. It isn't a sit-com, I don't like sit-coms, but it has its entertaining moments. Like in the most recent episode where Ed comes up to the guard and does the whole "long time, no see" routine to get close enough to stun him. Or when Kelly told the leader where her friends where and then "just don't hurt the monkey." This is no "Family Guy." I'm looking forward to some fanfic.
I am enjoying it so far. It is comedy though with all the humor in it.
@ElicBxn (60895)
@just4him it is what is called a "dramady" yes, it has comic moments, but it also had dramatic moments. Oh, and as a long time fan, its "sci-fi" not "Syfy."
@ElicBxn They're both the same, one is the TV channel.
I have given up on watching anything lately. My favorite shows are coming on and I haven't seen all of last season's shows.
I'm watching Once Upon a Time on Netflix season 6 to update me on the last season as the new season is about to begin in October.
@just4him I may have to subscribe to Netflix to binge watch what I have missed.
@ElusiveButterfly I didn't miss the last season, but I am catching up on it. I love watching it again anyway.
The only Orville I like is my raptor.
You don't want to watch this show, unless you like comedy and space shows. Somehow this one doesn't seem to fit you. Not sure it fits me either. I know the only Orville you know is your raptor. He probably thinks of you as his human
@just4him Lol! I just hope he's ok.
@DianneN So do I.
It was okay. The voice did sound like Brent Spiner who played data. I'll watch it again probably.
I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking that about the robot.
@just4him The first time I heard the voice, I thought it was his.
@Susan2015 So did I.